SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying with a laser bore sighter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying with a laser bore sighter? Login/Join 
posted
Are there any issues putting one in my carry on bag? It happens to be the one that looks like a spent 25-06 round you put three little batteries in.

TS

Posts: 862 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I would not try it but again i am Cautious when it comes to dealing with the TSA.

Posts: 1627 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A laser boresighter, in the shape of a cartridge? Why don't you fly to Turks & Caicos while you're at it?

I don't know about the legality, but common sense tells me you'll at the very least get … extra scrutiny from TSA.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have heard rather reliable reports of people getting key chains with the empty brass cartridge attached taken away. This is with the ring through the case, no primer, or powder of course.

I wouldn’t want my bore-sighter taken away. Maybe you could disassemble it, only part is at risk? I agree, it’s a harmless item.

You could never get a straight answer either, TSA inclinations vary widely, some by design. Chances are they won’t find it, maybe.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good way to find out how a full body cavity search feels!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2949 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
Are there any issues putting one in my carry on bag? It happens to be the one that looks like a spent 25-06 round you put three little batteries in.

TS

Just put it in a padded envelope and send it to your destination. Then you don’t have to worry about being held up at the airport, or having it taken away by an overzealous TSA agent failed fast food worker.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Why?

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I think there would be a problem carrying a LASER Anything as a carryon.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to carry a laser bore sighted on an aircraft. Why can it not go in your checked baggage?

That just has ‘give me the full cavity search please’ written all over it. Unless of course that’s what you want.

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I think there would be a problem carrying a LASER Anything as a carryon.

It being a laser won't be an issue. The issue is it resembles ammunition.

They will confiscate it if they find it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This makes about as much sense as a milk bucket under a bull.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mail it to your destination.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's not specifically mentioned in the TSA regs, but the final decision would rest on the inspecting agent who might very well confiscate it on the basis of its appearance. And this would be every time you go through a TSA line.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16954 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just by 1st looking through the bore, adjusting, then later, larger target, close range, one can quickly get close.

If you want to give it away, mail it.

I’ve never been hampered without an official bore-sighter.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Why do you need to carry a laser bore sighted on an aircraft. Why can it not go in your checked baggage?

That just has ‘give me the full cavity search please’ written all over it. Unless of course that’s what you want.

I like my laser bore sighters but I'm afraid I must agree with NHT......Are you flying to that cute little island in the Carribean? The one that is so "gun-friendly" ?? Big Grin

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:

TS

I wouldn't carry anything in my carry-on luggage that resembled any kind of ammo or weapon, its just not a good idea to even think about it. If you absolutely must have it with you on your trip either place it in your checked baggage which still could cause problems if someone thinks its loose ammo or just mail it to your destination.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I always fly with checked baggage and would put it in there and you should have no problems. If you are flying to a different country, then I would research their laws really good.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm flying to Charlotte, but I'll just mail it a week before going. I haven't checked a bag in 10 years and don't plan on doing so now.

TS

Posts: 862 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post