SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you guys using for BBQ Grill brushes/cleaners?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you guys using for BBQ Grill brushes/cleaners? Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
Now that the tried and true wire brushes seem to be public enemy #1, I guess with good reason, what are you using to clean your grill surface? I tried a “stone”, didn’t care for it, left deposits. Now I’m using a wooden plank but that’s not at all impressive either. Thoughts? Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still use a twisted wire grill brush, think mine is from weber

I think the number of instances are relatively small in number and have been blown out of proportion. Always seems to be exactly the same story regurgitated year after year after year

I make sure to beat the grill to knock anything off prior to cooking

crumpled aluminum foil seems to be popular with some folks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Something like this for the nearly the last 10 years: Amazon Link

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Simply wad up a piece of tin foil into a ball and use that to scrape the heated grill. Works good.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

I just let the fire burn off the crap and move on.

Grill grates are a consumable item

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11298 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I believe I got the recommendation from here, but I have a Kona nylon bristle brush. It’s held up pretty well so far.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still use the old tried and true brush but in deference to the possibility of bristles, wipe the grate very well afterwards with an oil soaked paper towel and be sure to get between the bars. I also trash my brushes before they start to get ratty looking.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
On a Youtube recommendation I bought a stainless steel "spiral" brush (this one). It turned out to work not very well at all and I'm still looking for something better. In the meantime I'm using a nylon-bristled one, which works kinda OK but you have wait for the grate to cool down before using it, so it winds up taking a lot more elbow grease.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I only use the official Weber triangular grill brushes. They last about a year for me, and I’ve never seen them shed.

INO the whole grill brush shedding issue is way overblown. If it were really a thing, the government would be all over it. Maybe cheapo brushes shed bristles but the good ones do not

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one with thick nylon type bristles I bought at Wal-Mart actually works pretty well.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a continuous wire brush and a standard wire brush. I never use the continuous brush because it just doesn’t work that good and the handle is nylon so it bends from the heat.

I fire up my grill and crank the heat up. If I have baked potatoes or corn I throw them on at that time on the high shelf. The high heat makes all the existing crap on the grill char up making it easy to brush off. Because the heat is cranked I like a standard wire brush with a wood handle.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Maybe I’ll just retire my old brush for a new one. I like the idea of the oil wipe down with paper towel, I’ll give that a go.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DYI homemade 3 inch stainless steel joint knife with notches dremmeled in the end the same width as the grill grate. Been making them for as long as I can remember. Lasts years and then make a new one.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weber long twisted wire triangular one is the best. Lasts a couple of years and I've never seen it shed.
To be safe I finish with a wipe over with a handful of aluminium foil.

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
On a Youtube recommendation I bought a stainless steel "spiral" brush (this one). It turned out to work not very well at all and I'm still looking for something better. In the meantime I'm using a nylon-bristled one, which works kinda OK but you have wait for the grate to cool down before using it, so it winds up taking a lot more elbow grease.

I recently bought one similar to this, although mine also has the addition of a steel blade scraper as well. I don’t think it works as well as a steel brush, but it works, and my wife is happy, so…

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new grill from Weber and pitched the old one.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Libman makes a really good one that is <$5 at Menards. They work well, last a long time & are made in USA. They're in the cleaning aisle, not with the grills.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The one from Weber does not shred or leave bits of wire behind like the generic cheap-o dollar store brushes. A bit pricy but they seem to last forever. If they get gunked up, I soak in a bucket with a healthy does of Dawn, (the extra strength one) then rinse. I haven't officially tracked it but it seems I get at least a year out of one brush.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/ac...brush-6278/6278.html

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I've had the best results with the steam brush.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C...QN518FT2KWEERCT2WJJ7

Get the grill nice and hot, hit it with this brush and use the power of steam to clean the grill.

After you're done grilling, hit it again while the grill is still hot. Super easy.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weber brush works well for me too (on porcelain coated grill grates), and the ‘corner’ sections show no worse for the wear when turned on edge for brushing in between the gate slots. No shedding of wire bits either.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post