SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New levels of suck. Septoplasty recovery.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New levels of suck. Septoplasty recovery. Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
The said it would get worse before it gets better.

They were not lying.

"you might experience some congestion and mild pain for several days...."

Their definition of "mild" and my definition of "mild" do not seem to be aligned.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction. Worst pain I've ever been through, although it was short lived. It turned the corner after 3 days and faded quickly after that, but oh boy did those 3 days suck. Your whole being is reduced to the bright spot of pain on your nose.

Hopefully yours will turn the corner soon. When you go back in to get the packing removed take some ibuprofen, that's gonna suck too.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
If that's the deviated septum surgery, yeah better check out for 72 hours. The dry mouth breathing was horrendous. All night, all day, a special kind of torture.

They pulled out the gauze and it was a relief like I cannot describe (after the pain.) Until then, you just gut it out.

Can't recall why right now, but I spent those 3 days in a recliner. Sleep, wake, always in it. Water every 5 mins to help the throat hell. Constantly running out, straw situation, and pressure pain.

I breathe night and day better now though. Quality of life improvement is not small, so it was worth it. But dam you earn it.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had the Septoplasty with turbinate reduction. Like every surgery, I intentionally get off the vicodin in 24 to 72 hours, but this time I had to back on it twice:
  • My doc told me I had to take 2 vicodin 1 hour before my appointment to have the gauze removed a week later. I'm glad he did because that hurt.
  • I had to be on antibiotic for 4 to 6 weeks because there wasn't any skin inside my nose. The antibiotic must have killed off some good bacteria that kept fungus in check because I got the worse sore throat of my life. I spent Easter dinner alternating between bites of food and spray my throat with chloraseptic, and then said "fuck this" and grabbed the Vicodin. The antifungal took out the sore throat and fortunately doc gave me a refill as it came back again 2 weeks later but never got bad because I got on the antifungal so fast.

It sucked for a few weeks, but long-term it's been completely worth it. Maybe 2 sinus infections in 15 years which is 1 to 2 orders of magnitude improvement. Also, I don't get sinus headaches that last for weekss.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    Time when you pull the gauze packing your schnozzola, doing so while the SO is already abed, and you have a captive audience. Bring the children in too.

Then slowly pull, providing a running description of what you see emanating from your nose, liberally using “pus,” “bloody pus,” and “ruptured placenta.”

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31437 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    Been there. And, I spent the first 18 hours on an IV pump that was set a factor of ten too low. Yeah. Memorable.

At least it wasn't set a factor of ten too high.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    Oh, that sucks. The worst part for me was pulling the plastic 'dams' or whatever they are - to keep the nose structure in place) out after a couple days. I don't know how they got in, but it felt like I was trying to pull a peach pit out of my nose.

Actually, the WORST part for me is that the surgery didn't work. I went in to MD Anderson for my Thyroid Cancer surgery, and they stuck a scope down my nose. They guy asked "wow, who messed up your nasal surgery?"

My wife wants me to re-do it, but I'm not going to do it. She said that I breath better after the surgery, but I don't notice a difference. I suppose it is possible that if they did it again, it would work, but I'm not going to risk it.

Hope it works out well for you.

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fwbulldog
    posted Hide Post
    Yea, deviated septum correction with turbinate reduction and balloon sinuplasty.

The first 12 hours after that surgery have literally been some of the hardest of my life. Broken bones, knee surgery, wrist surgery, broken thumb tendon, tendon surgery, none of that compares.

I could probably have dealt with the surgery, but whatever drug they used to control saliva caused me to have a full blown migraine. Like the worst migraine I've ever had. So when I came to from the propofol I was in excruciating pain, couldn't see or talk.

All I could do was kind of point at my face and say "hurts", which doesn't quite cover it.

They wouldn't give me any more narcotics and kept telling me I had to get up out of the operating chair and into the wheelchair before they would let me have some ibuprofen.

I couldn't get them to understand what was happening. I've never experienced that kind of mouth dryness. I was begging for water, my throat hurt so bad from the saliva dam that swallowing was almost impossible.

The surgery had numbed the entire roof of my mouth, front teeth and upper lip, so I couldn't feel the straw, or really know how much liquid was in my mouth.

After about 15 minutes I finally got them to understand that I was having a raging migraine, but they wouldn't do anything for it. Then the surgical pain started to set in.

After about an hour my wife wheeled me to the car and I had a 20 minute drive home, where I have my migraine medication.

I spend the next 12 hours alternating between trying to not throw up and die. Sipping water every 30 seconds to deal with the dryness.

"Most of our patients don't need anything more than Ibuprofen...." Yea, ok. I'm your fucking patient right now telling you that somebody is splitting my head open from the inside out with a chainsaw. Keep your fucking ibuprofen.

Then the sore throat kicks in. Holy shit. They gave me lidocaine drops, which burn like fire, numb you for about 10 minutes, and then wear off.

You can't breath through your nose, and you mouth and throat are so dry that it hurts to breath. I already have obstructive sleep apnea and have sleeping problems, and now I can't wear the CPAP mask. Can't lie down, can't sit up straight. Can't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time.

First 5 days are just a blur of trying to get from one hour to the next.

First follow up appointment was day 7. They give me Ativan, which doesn't do shit. Then they proceed to stick a 10 inch suction tube into the dark recesses of my brain. Over, and over for about an hour. Still can't breath. I don't know how much goo they sucked out of my head, but it wasn't nearly enough.

It's now day 11. Brain fog is still pretty bad, but the congestion is now 8/10. I got about 4 hours of solid sleep today. Been doing the saline rinses every 1-2 hours. It's the only thing that helps at all.

I'm astounded at how much blood/puss/goo is still coming out. They say it's normal. Nothing about this is "normal".

At this point I would have to have zero sinus infections for the rest of my life and eliminated my apnea to have justified this. Won't know for up to 6 weeks if it was successful, due to the swelling and congestion.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Quite the testimonial.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Ripley
    posted Hide Post
    I went through that pushing four decades ago. I had a mild problem, things weren't that much better after the surgery. I decided then no more elective surgery again.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A day late, and
    a dollar short
    Picture of Warhorse
    posted Hide Post
    I too had deviated septum surgery 50 years ago when I was 18 years old. Must heal a lot faster at that age, as I don't recall any bad issues with pain.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    My mother went through that many years ago and I decided then and there that I never would.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Now Serving 7.62
    Picture of 10X-Shooter
    posted Hide Post
    Make damn sure they don’t put off the appt for removing the packing for ANY reason! Nothing like getting the packing pulled late and it connected by hard scabs to the inside your nose. The longer you go past the recommended time, the more painful the pull will be.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Septoplasty with turbonate reduction was a life changer for me. My ENT surgeon told me I had 95% blockage. Schedule surgery for me this past July. The only serious issue I had was my heartbeat slowed down during surgery to the point they gave me epinephrine to bring it back up according to my wife. I had minimal discomfort post surgery and did not need the Vicodin prescribed. Did the four sinus rinses per day as advised. Changing the snot catcher gauze was a full time chore. Doc prescribed a mild steroid to speed up the healing. My biggest issue was trying to sleep reclined on my back as I’m a life long stomach and/or side sleeper. Six weeks later the removal of the silicone splints was painless but gross as I hadn’t realized how big they were and what I saw removed by the suction tube was disgusting. According to my wife, I no longer snore, breath so much easier and get a really restful sleep. After reading some of the stories here I am grateful my procedure was so easy.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    You have cow?
    I lift cow!
    posted Hide Post
    Geez sounds brutal. I didn't do the turbinate part of whatever just a deviated septum.

But that hell of can't sleep more than 10 mins and EXTREME dry throat are pure hell alone. Sipping water every 10 mins and it's so futile.

I'd be smashing narcotics if I was you.

------------------------------
    http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    Got home from the hell of the first 48 hours, particularly the first 18 as described above, and within the first day or two, my new baby girl swung her hear around and clocked me square in the nose! Red Face

She's in college now. I still remember where I was standing when that happened.

Picture of Perception
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by fwbulldog:
    Yea, deviated septum correction with turbinate reduction and balloon sinuplasty.

The first 12 hours after that surgery have literally been some of the hardest of my life. Broken bones, knee surgery, wrist surgery, broken thumb tendon, tendon surgery, none of that compares.

I could probably have dealt with the surgery, but whatever drug they used to control saliva caused me to have a full blown migraine. Like the worst migraine I've ever had. So when I came to from the propofol I was in excruciating pain, couldn't see or talk.

All I could do was kind of point at my face and say "hurts", which doesn't quite cover it.

They wouldn't give me any more narcotics and kept telling me I had to get up out of the operating chair and into the wheelchair before they would let me have some ibuprofen.

I couldn't get them to understand what was happening. I've never experienced that kind of mouth dryness. I was begging for water, my throat hurt so bad from the saliva dam that swallowing was almost impossible.

The surgery had numbed the entire roof of my mouth, front teeth and upper lip, so I couldn't feel the straw, or really know how much liquid was in my mouth.

After about 15 minutes I finally got them to understand that I was having a raging migraine, but they wouldn't do anything for it. Then the surgical pain started to set in.

After about an hour my wife wheeled me to the car and I had a 20 minute drive home, where I have my migraine medication.

I spend the next 12 hours alternating between trying to not throw up and die. Sipping water every 30 seconds to deal with the dryness.

"Most of our patients don't need anything more than Ibuprofen...." Yea, ok. I'm your fucking patient right now telling you that somebody is splitting my head open from the inside out with a chainsaw. Keep your fucking ibuprofen.

Then the sore throat kicks in. Holy shit. They gave me lidocaine drops, which burn like fire, numb you for about 10 minutes, and then wear off.

You can't breath through your nose, and you mouth and throat are so dry that it hurts to breath. I already have obstructive sleep apnea and have sleeping problems, and now I can't wear the CPAP mask. Can't lie down, can't sit up straight. Can't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time.

First 5 days are just a blur of trying to get from one hour to the next.

First follow up appointment was day 7. They give me Ativan, which doesn't do shit. Then they proceed to stick a 10 inch suction tube into the dark recesses of my brain. Over, and over for about an hour. Still can't breath. I don't know how much goo they sucked out of my head, but it wasn't nearly enough.

It's now day 11. Brain fog is still pretty bad, but the congestion is now 8/10. I got about 4 hours of solid sleep today. Been doing the saline rinses every 1-2 hours. It's the only thing that helps at all.

I'm astounded at how much blood/puss/goo is still coming out. They say it's normal. Nothing about this is "normal".

At this point I would have to have zero sinus infections for the rest of my life and eliminated my apnea to have justified this. Won't know for up to 6 weeks if it was successful, due to the swelling and congestion.

I posted about my experience with the surgery earlier, but I guess I should also tell you there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know people have different experiences, but for me the surgery was a life changer and absolutely worth it. I had 100% blockage on one side, and 95% on the other side. I finally decided to have the surgery when I inhaled some food because I always had to breath around whatever I was eating because my nose didn't work. The recovery absolutely sucked, but my nose works pretty well now. It's not 100%, but it's pretty good and I'm also no longer at risk of dying every time I eat a meal. Knowing what I know now I would go through it all again for sure.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford, "it is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fwbulldog
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Perception:
    Knowing what I know now I would go through it all again for sure.

Thanks man. I think I've finally turned the corner. Got some huge chunks to release yesterday, which reduced quite a bit of pressure behind my eyes. My vision is starting to return to normal. Still having a hard time wearing my glasses. The bridge of my nose is white-hot sensitive and even just the weight of my glasses is like driving nails into my face. No glasses causes eyestrain, which is causes more headaches.

Getting some really weird nerve pain shocks coming from my pallet above my front teeth. Feels like I'm biting down on 120 volts for a second, and then it goes away. Lots of nerves in there have been hammered.

Actually got a decent night sleep. Started Flonase, azelastine, and Benadryl. I'm probably still about 50% blocked, but I can tell it's opening up. It's like breathing through a straw, but eating is a littler easier now.

I want to blow my nose hard enough to register on the Richter scale.

Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    As bad as I described it, I'd do it again. Albeit, I'd ask them to double check the infusion pump for me please. Smile

Picture of fwbulldog
    posted Hide Post
    And the sinus saga continues. Had to go back to the surgeon today. I’m still more than 50% blocked on both sides.

Had to get a bunch of numbing shots and have scar tissue and muck cut out. Still horribly congested, and I have a massive infection.

It’s been building in there for two weeks. No wonder I feel like shit. Brain fog, headaches, pressure.

By all accounts I should have been getting better by now. Really glad I called and insisted on seeing him today.

Got to see the scope shots as he was cleaning things out. Nasty.

Two antibiotics and a steroid, Flonase, azelastine, Mucinex, and vitamin D megadoses.

Right now I can actually breath for the first time in a month. Hoping the antibiotic will finally kick this thing, and I can get back to normal life.

Been a rough month.