SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Lost Colony of Roanoke
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lost Colony of Roanoke Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Very interesting... thanks!

I had never heard about site X before - and why was everyone named John? Cool

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4005 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Well, that was interesting. Thanks
My relatives came over later in 1672.

Posts: 11887 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
I remember watching an In Search Of... on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqG6rC4hIw

Posts: 650 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If you are ever in that area go see the Lost Colony live performance. It’s a great show and you will learn quite a bit of history. Our family has vacationed at the OBX my whole life and I loved how the show often had a different ending each time we went because they didn’t know what happened to the colonists.

Link to the Lost Colony live performance

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bbo2-qFa5zM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
That's a great presentation of an interesting bit of history.

Thanks for passing it along! Smile

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
A good summary, but here's some additional info: Croatoan is now Hatteras Island, and at the village of Buxton in 1996 an archaeological dig by East Carolina University found a gold signet ring at a 16th century Indian village. It had the likeness of a "Prancing Lion", which was the crest of one of the Lost Colony families. This ring no doubt had made it's way from Roanoke Island to Croatoan.

Also when John Lawson described the Hatteras Indians 100 years later, not only did they have some European physical characteristics, but they dressed completely as Europeans, not using any of the traditional Indian dress of the day, and they claimed to be descendants of the colonists.

I have always believed it possible that the colonists went in different directions, probably decided by family unit. I think there can little doubt that at least some of them went to Hatteras Island.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1877 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth --- the Lumbee indians are located primarily in Robeson County, NC. Robeson County is about 60 miles inland from Wilmigton.

It's not unusual for them to have blue eyes and "old English" surnames (Oxendine, Brayboy, Chavis, Locklear, etc.).

Many (most?) Lumbees now identify as Tuscarora's. It seems the Lumbee tribe never fought a war or signed a treaty with the U. S. Govt. and are ineligible for federal aid.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

Thanks,
Silent

Posts: 1054 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Agreed " The Lost Colony " outdoor theatre is a must see if you make it to the OBX. Been several times, but would like to do it again soon.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2800 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There is a Croatan Beach, VA which is south of Virginia Beach. Is there any connection to that and the lost colony story?

Posts: 34529 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
... - and why was everyone named John? Cool

That made me laugh too, I was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Some folks think the actual location of the colony on Roanoke Island is unknown. But the outline of the fort is still visible. The first serious archaeologists discovered that there were raised areas of ground with shallow depressions around them suggesting that trenches were dug and that the soil dug out of the trenches was stacked to make the fort walls. Soil compression signatures confirmed that was a correct hypothesis. Today, the basic shape of the fort is known and a scintilla of the original walls remain. It's really neat to walk among them.

By the way, Roanoke Island is just about the only dry land between the Outer Banks and inland mainland. Once you go past Roanoke Island to the mainland, it's all pocasin forest unsuitable for settling. 50 miles inland corresponds to about the first place one would get to with dry land that could be settled.

There is dry land in Dare County today, but most of it came from draining pocasin forests in the 1800 an early 1900s. The Site X location is about the first place the settlers would have gotten that would have had decent land to live on. So Site X makes sense in that respect.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about Roanoke in 7th grade history and was intrigued by it. Thanks for posting the video.

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
PASig, that used to be my local break. Fun surf spot for sure! I still surf there from time to time. I am not sure about the connection honestly. It’s something I noticed but never looked up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Croatoan

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post