SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mini Torch Experience? Recommendation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Torch Experience? Recommendation? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
I have a regular MAPP hand held torch but many times, and again just this week, find myself wishing I had a mini torch. Would be used for soldering wires and shrinking heat shrink tubing along with anything else I can think of where the larger torch is just too much or too big.

Ease of use and easy refilling with a commonly available fuel... a quality tool is what I'm looking for. Self lighting a must but they may all do that...

So any recommendations or ones I would need to avoid?

Also any uncommon or unique uses for one would be welcomed.

Thanks

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dremel works well for me.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use a regular butane soldering iron for wiring. Weller or simular products have attachments for heat shrink tubing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dre...XEAQYBCABEgLruPD_BwE

https://www.nationaltoolwareho...MEAQYAiABEgJVHfD_BwE

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Try a heat gun for the shrink tube. Ironically as an electrician, I never solder wires, no help there.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Home depot and lowes have hand torches as well at cigar stores.
Easy fill with butane containers sold there also.
They are great little tools for lots of things.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Might mention I'm referring to project or automotive wiring, not house. The other day I was repairing some trailer light wiring for my Grandson with no convenient access to electricity.
In this particular use I find crimping AND soldering connectors the most robust permanent method. Same goes for auto audio connections IMO. YMMV.

Also, I already have an electric soldering iron and an electric heat gun.

Some times I don't want to drag out an extension cord... I thought it might come in handy and it's just been a tool that over the years I could have used if I had one.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Butane torch $15 at Hazard Freight

I have a Bernzomatic from HD and I cannot remember the last time I bought butane for it (probably pushing a decade). I'd rather use an electric soldering iron or electric heat gun.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Get This. I have had one for 15 years and use it regularly. The hot air tip is awesome for precise work on shrink tube and it solders great as well. They come with a hot knife too for severing and sealing nylon rope.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I agree 100% with skins about the heat gun for heat shrink materials.

If you want a real torch, but just miniature in size, the Smith Little Torch is just the thing. You can buy little tanks to use with it if you don't have any, but the neat thing about it is, if you already have them, you can connect it to your full-sized oxy-fuel tanks with no adapters required.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For soldering wires, you want a soldering iron.

Heat guns work well for heatshrinking. Probably the best without risk of catching the heat shrinking on fire or singing the outside.

I also use these 2 mini butane torches from anchor that works well and I use it a lot. I refill them from a pressurized butane for lighters etc. You can find them at marine stores for less than $20 and they are self igniting. I prefer the first one.

http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/703064

http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/702064

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
Dremel works well for me.

I concur.
I have a Dremel 2000-01 Versa Tip Precision Butane Soldering Torch that I use to solder, it can also shrink heat shrink tubing.
It was a godsend when I redid my audio system in my pickup to solder all connections without being PLUGGED in.
Just keep in mind of what direction the exhaust port is in when using.

I also have a Dremel 2200-01 Versa Flame Multi-Function Butane Torch that I use to shrink heat shrink tubing, as well as light my propane garage heater, and occasional cigar.

Both run on easily accessible butane.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bernzomatic tool is very good. The newest version is better than the original. However the flame is not adjustable, but that has not been a problem for me.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have had success using an older version of this torch for tower/antenna repair work for many years.

Posts: 7313 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't ask this question but...I would never use solder for automotive wiring.
I do a lot of automotive/aircraft type wiring and you always use crimp terminals. You will have failures where wire meets solder due to vibration.
They make really nice stuff with a heavy duty heatshrink part of the terminal for strain relief and you can get them surplus for very reasonable prices.
Here is an example but I usually buy mine on eBay for a lot better price.
https://www.delcity.net/store/...yMimQDBoCoaUQAvD_BwE

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I know you didn't ask this question but...I would never use solder for automotive wiring.
I do a lot of automotive/aircraft type wiring and you always use crimp terminals. You will have failures where wire meets solder due to vibration.
They make really nice stuff with a heavy duty heatshrink part of the terminal for strain relief and you can get them surplus for very reasonable prices.
Here is an example but I usually buy mine on eBay for a lot better price.
https://www.delcity.net/store/...yMimQDBoCoaUQAvD_BwE

It depends. I do a lot of marine wiring connections. And, while I mostly use heat shrink butt connectors, on 20+ gauge wire the only way to get a good connection is to solder. The wires are so small, I strip back 1.5" of both wires and twist them around each other, solder them and then heatshrink the connection. Larger stuff I almost always use butt connectors on. I've never had a solder connection come apart on the smaller wires.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I use a torch for heatshrink but don't use the bare flame as it cooks everything.
I found a piece of pipe about 3" long and drilled holes in the side. Then slide it over the torch end making a nice and small heat gun that will shrink what I need without melting the whole harness.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post