SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronic component orientation question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic component orientation question Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I have these tiny parts that I can barely see:

The data sheet says "the pin one indicator is in this shaded area" but it doesn't say what the indicator is. There is a printed dot, that looks more like a copyright symbol, and a printed line on opposite ends that would indicate that pin 1 could be on either end. The dot looks more like a dot in the thumbnail pic but up close the line looks more defined.

Here is a closeup:

Any idea what the correct indicator is or should I just solder them in and try it both ways?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I don't think that is a "copyright symbol", I'm pretty sure that's a molding mark to indicate pin #1, could be wrong.

I HIGHLY recommend against "try it both ways", you'll probably let the smoke out. Wink

Everyone knows the smoke is what makes electronics work...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Identifying pin no 1 on an IC

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Identifying pin no 1 on an IC
Well, I'll be. I didn't even notice the bevel. Mostly because it's microscopic and partly because I didn't know to look for it. Thanks.

Text direction, a dot-ish mark and a bevel is three against the line so the line loses.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I don't think that is a "copyright symbol", I'm pretty sure that's a molding mark to indicate pin #1, could be wrong.

I HIGHLY recommend against "try it both ways", you'll probably let the smoke out. Wink

Everyone knows the smoke is what makes electronics work...
Those little beauties are like $7 a piece so I don't want to let the smoke out. Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Handling bare ICs like that: You are using appropriate anti-static measures, I hope?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Handling bare ICs like that: You are using appropriate anti-static measures, I hope?
I have a grounded anti-static mat.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

You need to be wearing an anti-static wrist band, connected to the mat, as well. Something such as shown here: SCS 746

And the mat needs to be grounded with a similar cable. N.B.: Those cables have high-value resistors built-in. They ARE NOT low-resistance connections. Using just wire would create an electrocution hazard.

Modern ICs are so-densely packed, the internal components so small and the paths between them so short, it takes very little ESD to impair or destroy them.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You need to be wearing an anti-static wrist band, connected to the mat, as well. Something such as shown here: SCS 746

And the mat needs to be grounded with a similar cable. N.B.: Those cables have high-value resistors built-in. They ARE NOT low-resistance connections. Using just wire would create an electrocution hazard.

Modern ICs are so-densely packed, the internal components so small and the paths between them so short, it takes very little ESD to impair or destroy them.

I have an anti-static wrist band ... somewhere around here.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I should be more concerned with the moisture sensitivity of these things. I moved them to the safe by the heater until my PCBs come in.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the dot indicates Pin 1 for orientation

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should be more concerned with the moisture sensitivity of these things. I moved them to the safe by the heater until my PCBs come in.

Static is a far bigger issue than moisture.

If you have that wrist band and the proper cable to go with it, I strongly advise you find and use them.

I won't even take a populated PCB out of its static-resistant or anti-static packaging w/o first deploying a mat, putting on a wrist band, and tying mat, wrist band, and item under repair/upgrade/assembly together.

You would be amazed at how much static electricity can be generated with the most innocuous of movement, and it doesn't have to be nearly enough to generate a noticeable spark to cause damage.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Static is a far bigger issue than moisture.

If you have that wrist band and the proper cable to go with it, I strongly advise you find and use them.

I won't even take a populated PCB out of its static-resistant or anti-static packaging w/o first deploying a mat, putting on a wrist band, and tying mat, wrist band, and item under repair/upgrade/assembly together.

You would be amazed at how much static electricity can be generated with the most innocuous of movement, and it doesn't have to be nearly enough to generate a noticeable spark to cause damage.

The packaging says to bake them for 24 hours at 125° before soldering. I've never worked with SMD before. I've also never had to worry about popcorning a component. Just trying something new.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My PCBs arrived today and I successfully soldered two OPA1612s in with a soldering iron. Next time I'm going to try the solder paste in a toaster oven.