SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Self defense insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self defense insurance Login/Join 
posted
I'm considering getting some self defense insurance to cover expenses in the event that I ever have to use lethal force to defend myself. After doing some online research I'm undecided which company is best or if I even what to spend the money.
Does anyone have this and if so please share the company you choose and why.
Thanks

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 19, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have USCCA . Read the fine print before deciding on any plan . DO NOT base your decision on the uninformed blathering that you are about to witness .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Welcome. I see you're new around here.Smile

You can do a search for a number of multi-page threads on this exact subject.
Start out with this-none of them are actual insurance. Many like to imply that they are in their marketing.
If they were, they would be registered in your state and you could go look them up on your state insurance commissioners web site.
The USCCA now has a policy (they had an asterisk and you need to read and understand the details). They cover specified liability against compensation from the "victim" asking for monetary damages. That's a lot different than covering your defense that may be needed against criminal prosecution.
Insurance covering you for an intentional and alleged criminal act (the states version anyway) isn't so easy. Some of these plans will reimburse, pay some bail, etc.

USCCA policy text, read details carefully.
https://www.deltadefense.com/p...4Nzk1ODUyMi42MC4wLjA.

In some states, like in Georgia, if you are not found culpable you are very unlikely to be sued. That's because state law would cause it to be tossed and lawyers working on a percentage don't like to work for free and look like a fool at the same time.

See the starter kit link below.

Now let the squabbling begin.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...orum_scope=320601935

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That didn't take long .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm considering getting some self defense insurance to cover expenses in the event that I ever have to use lethal force to defend myself.

What state are you located in, as insurance laws vary state to state, and some prohibit this type of 'insurance'. Also know that you need to consider two things, in that in addition to liability protection, if you need to defend yourself in court, you will have SIGNIFICANT legal fees to consider as well. In most states that don't allow insurance, prepaid legal services are available. USCCA and US Law Shield/TX Law Shield are to two major providers in this realm, and depending on where you live will determine what services/protection you will have available.

I am a US Law Shield customer. They offer 'Prepaid Legal Services' in 21 states, including mine (NH), and 'Insurance' in 27 states/jurisdictions (includes Washington DC). In TX they offer both insurance and prepaid legal services.

I pay $130/year for 'Prepaid Legal Services' and I've been a member since March 2019.

Here's the link w/ the list of States (Alaska, Maine, New York and Rhode Island are NOT listed), terms & conditions, etc --> https://www.uslawshield.com/terms-and-conditions/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware any reimbursement type products like Lockton (old NRA carry guard). Reimbursement does zero to help you pay for your criminal defense costs (God forbid that it comes to that scenario). You'll have to self fund the bond, retainer for an attorney, and defense costs through acquittal to even have a shot at reimbursement. Leaving a self defense case to a public defender or being forced to liquidate all of your assets are also tough prospects.

Posts: 714 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
This is something I posted a few years ago.

My wife and I have had CCW Safe since the case of an individual (we will not mention his name) in central Florida was arrested and charged with murder when he should not have been.
He went to trial and was found innocent. We figure it cost him upwards of a half a million dollars. Not to many people I know can afford that bill and not be financially wiped out.
For us it is peace of mind.

A Question was asked by one of our members if anyone have any knowledge of a case where someone was put through the legal system that had one of these plans and what the outcome was?

My answer was yes
His name is Stephen Maddox.
We had the opportunity to meet him and listened to his story in person, than we were able to ask questions afterwards. Listing to his story was scary and sad what had happened to him.

This is a link to his story on CCW Safe YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6a_xm7PplI

My disclaimer:

My wife used to run an event at our gun club called "Ladies Day At the Range". The club would close for one day and 400 ladies would come to the range and have a range day. All the disciplines would come out and instruct the ladies on the use of the firearms used in their sport.
They got to do this all for one fee.
It was a lot of fun.
To help keep the cost down my wife got sponsors for the event.

One of the largest sponsors was CCW Safe.

My wife and had been members of CCW Safe before they became a sponsor. When she contacted them they were very eager to participate in the event. At the event we had the chance to meet several of the executives and to us they seamed like down to earth people.
My wife has since retired from running the event however she does keep in touch with several of the executives we met.

I am not promoting any one company I am just telling you who we have and our experience with them, you have to decide whats best for your needs.

Your best bet is to find a company that is aloud to sell their product in the state you live in. Do your research. See what they have to offer and what the cost will be based on your qualifications and your needs.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have CCW Safe Ultimate for my wife and I. It seems to do what it advertises.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The folks at PewPew have a pretty good (and current) comparison of the main players posted here:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com...ce-comparison-chart/

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
US Law Shield customer here too for many years.
I hear USCCA is very good too.
Hope never to need it. Eek

Posts: 22916 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
I'm considering getting some self defense insurance to cover expenses in the event that I ever have to use lethal force to defend myself.

What state are you located in, as insurance laws vary state to state, and some prohibit this type of 'insurance'. Also know that you need to consider two things, in that in addition to liability protection, if you need to defend yourself in court, you will have SIGNIFICANT legal fees to consider as well. In most states that don't allow insurance, prepaid legal services are available. USCCA and US Law Shield/TX Law Shield are to two major providers in this realm, and depending on where you live will determine what services/protection you will have available.

This.
If you're living or, frequent a Blue state where the DA in the area where the incident happens and/or the state AG are of the activist-progressive type, then having self-defense insurance is a good idea. We're dealing with an era today where government is actively working against you at a local level and looking to punitively punish you. Other states, Free States if you will, check the laws and what self-defense cases have become case law or, prime examples where judges will cite for their decisions. You may not need such coverage because there's enough legal protections where a competent lawyer can help you.

Living in CA and SF Bay Area, I carry USCCA.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What I've heard is that this type of insurance will be of no value to you, no matter which state you live in.

Consider the matter with great skepticism.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I have come to the same conclusion as you.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
All insurance I'm aware of covers you for losses that may or may not be your fault (e.g., tree falling on your house, a car accident). A self-defense shooting is a deliberate act. I'm skeptical of any policy that claims to cover you for that. If you purposely ram something or someone with your car, criminally or not, you don't get to claim the damage on your insurance.

Now, what would be a good idea is to have a lawyer's number on speed-dial. The aftermath of a shooting is not a good time to be thumbing through the Yellow Pages.

Posts: 27965 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
This is probably the best advice, and maybe the only viable advice, for this unfortunate situation. And besides, for those services you may contract for, you don't get to pick your lawyer. My guess is he may not be a member of anyone's dream team, but what do I know.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Old OrdnanceOutsellers himself James A Reeves from TFB.TV is the USCCA lawyer that deals with cases that come up in Louisiana where he lives. He's been called upon several times in regards to a USCCA claim. He might be worth asking for an opinion.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I settled on CCW Safe on their Protector Plan for veterans or LEOs. But I'm in AZ. There are states where such things are null and void like the state of Washington.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Old OrdnanceOutsellers himself James A Reeves from TFB.TV is the USCCA lawyer that deals with cases that come up in Louisiana where he lives. He's been called upon several times in regards to a USCCA claim. He might be worth asking for an opinion.
James Reeves would be about the last person I would pick to slog through a self defense trial. He doesn't really do criminal defense practice and has too many other entanglements to legitimately do criminal defense trial work. The amount of billed hours it takes to prepare a felony self defense or homicide case for trial would shock you, if you are not familiar with what goes on behind the scenes.

FYI he's affiliated with US Law Shield.

Para is right about this. Be sure that you actually read the exclusions with some care in the policy and any dec pages that they attach before signing up. Most of these self defense "insurance" outfits promise a lot, but what they actually deliver may or may not be what you bargained for.

Posts: 714 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
"Ladies and gentleman of the jury, the defendant was so reckless, so willing to kill, that he went and purchased special "kill" insurance to defend himself in court, prior to the incident at hand. Does this seem like a reasonable person to you? How many of you have felt the need to purchase special "kill" insurance? Its preposterous. The defendant is guilty, he knows he is guilty, and I ask you to find the defendant willingly and knowingly killed a person without justification."

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
Be sure that you actually read the exclusions with some care in the policy and any dec pages that they attach before signing up. Most of these self defense "insurance" outfits promise a lot, but what they actually deliver may or may not be what you bargained for.

As others have posted, read the fine print. Can't emphasize that enough. From what I've researched, if you're involved in a SD shooting, then you'll meet w/ an attorney. Some of the "insurance" outfits allow you to pick your own. Some have set attorneys they provide. In either case, if the attorney is not reasonably confident that your shooting situation was a good shoot, then they won't defend it nor cover the legal fees.

Some of the carry insurance programs are straight-up hustles charging members to be part of club, not much different that say joining Sig's Legion owners group.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post