SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    12 volt air compressor recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 volt air compressor recommendations Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
This is evidently a topic with too many options.

Looking to replace my old one, wanting a dependable, sub $100 12 volt air compressor to keep in the Jeep.

I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read some articles. Then reviews of the most likely competitors.

Every time I circle back around to zero.

Anyone have one they have and recommend?

This Viair model that connects to the battery is along the lines of what I’m looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005...3I/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Not under $100 but this is what I have. VIAIR 300P Portable Compressor

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-3...f_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_1_t

I run it hard. Have a dually that I haul with and it sometimes gets run for quite a bit. The cheaper units won't have the duty cycle. If you try to fill a flat with one of those the compressor will shut off and on to allow it to cool. This one claims 33% duty cycle but I have run it for a long time filling trailer tires.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have both the Viair 88P and the 300P. Viair is good to go.

If your intent is to air down all 4 tires for off roading, then I would go with the 300P, or better, depending on your tire size.

The 88P is sturdy, but I'm not certain that it was designed to handle that sort of duty cycle.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I can't recommend a particular model based on your needs, but I have a Viair 84P, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Great feedback.

I don’t off road enough to air down often, although I wish I did.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing takes longer to deploy than to fill my tire. It clips to the battery since the lighter socket doesn't have the amperage. I can fill a tire from flat in a minute. My old lighter socket design, well, I could get lunch, eat it, and then check to see how much was left to do.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Chuck, that’s the same one I linked lol

Just purchased it. Should be here when I wake up this afternoon.

The one I’ve had has lasted 20 years almost, but mostly because it’s rarely used. It’s one of the “come back after lunch” varieties.

-JALLEN

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have the big brother to this one and have used it extensively off-road.

https://www.northerntool.com/s..._200672539_200672539

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you already have any 20 volt Dewalt tools I would strongly recommend this unit. It has a 12 volt cord if you want to run it off the vehicle AND it runs off of any of the Dewalt 20 volt batteries.

The unit has a digital pressure setting so you can dial in the pressure, then hit start and the unit shuts off when the tire gets to the desired pressure.

It also has a separate hose for blowing up air mattresses and similar items.

The thing runs forever on a 6 amp 20 volt battery

Dewalt Cordless Air Compressor

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have the ViAir 88P and recommend it.

Actually I recommend ViAir, you need to pick the model based on your need. If you run monster huge tires you need a different ViAir.

I recommend the optional air hose extension. Needed it on helping someone with one of those new oversized huge 4 door pickups.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You bought a good one, chongo. It hits the cost vs. quality sweet spot. Paying half as much would get you something cheap that would take 10 times longer to get the job done if it even could. Paying twice as much would not get you a compressor that would be twice as fast or last twice as long.

I have a Viair 400P RV. I use it to take my tires from 65psi to 80psi when towing and topping off the trailer tires to 110psi. It came with useful accessories.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Dewalt makes a good air compressor for just over $100 without the battery. It has a 12v plug but if you have dewalt 20v batteries, it’s pretty nice.
Dewalt Inflator

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Viair 88. It’ll take a while to fill bigger tires. I have nothing but good things to say about the Viair compressors. I have a 400P automatic. It’s a kick ass little compressor.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I, too, got the ViAir 88P (Nov 2016). It has been very effective at preventing low tire pressure; I haven't had to use it once. Smile

(I have a similar story with my car battery power pack.)

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Viar, I've used one for the last six years to air up my 35" Jeep tires. I use a 400P but the 88P looks good for stock tires.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Go here ViAir info and scroll down to the Portable Tire Inflators chart. Look for the size you need by tire size/pressure then power source. Then consider one size larger, maybe.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got ryobi tools, pick up a ryobi air compressor/ inflator from Home depo for about $50 and use your current rechargeable batteries

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I killed two birds with one stone with the Schumacher jump starter/charger/compressor. For the larger model slightly more it has worked great for both airing up trailer tires in storage and jumping a neighbors truck.

AMZN link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread post. My car has just been sitting in the garage since the end of March and since we have two vehicles and I rarely travel, my battery has gone dead and I now see that the front right tire is going low so I needed an inflator.

I purchased the Dewalt along with the 20v battery and charger. Now I'll also deal with the battery issue with AAA. This tool will remain in the car and a very convenient addition.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I've got the Vair 88P but I have no actual experience with it. I have two experienced offroading friends who recommended it. They've used theirs several times and gave good reports on it.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post