SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non-Chinese electric kettle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Chinese electric kettle? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
My old plastic "hot pot" is great for boiling water quickly, and has been for years... about 20 or them, probably more.

It works, and there really isn't anything wrong with it, but it's plastic. Who knows what kind of plastic? I surely don't. I've been thinking on upgrading to a glass or stainless model, to avoid the potential BPA troubles. Here's an example.

Of course, everything I've found so far is made in China. So once again I'm asking to tap the vast knowledge of the crowd here and see what recommendations are offered. I found a Zojirushi, Japanese-made, but it's over $200. Eek

Thanks, all!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Bona Vita spouted SS one for pour over coffee and tea and a Hamilton Beach glass container for larger quantities, unfortunately both made in China but they do work well. Gets rid of the plastic but not the made in China issue. That may be very hard to bypass that issue unfortunately. Good luck in your search.
In the past, I had a large Zojirushi but was disappointed when the gray coating on the inside began flaking off.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an all metal Kitchen Aid one. Not sure where it was made but it's pretty solid. My previous cheap "Aroma" brand one split the plastic bottom and leaked.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll keep searching.

I'm wondering now if a nice stainless kettle on the stove is a better option. I just wonder if that would be massively less energy-efficient than the simple electric pot.

- - - -
Edited for spelling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Techovorim Coffee brewer, excellent coffee brewer that runs about $250. I found one in a Goodwill for $20.

Anywhos, because it makes hot water up to 205 degrees, use it to make instant cup noodles, tea, re-hydrate freeze dries camp food, anything that calls for boiled water. It is faster than a Bunn machine!!!! And made in the Netherlands.. somewhere in Europe?? Definitely not China.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Bean,

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thanks, guys. I'll keep searching.

I'm wondering now if a nice stainless kettle on the stove is a better option. I just wonder if that would be massively less energy-efficient than the simple electric pot.

I've been a huge fan of this $35 goose neck kettle for pour overs, etc.
Japanese made Fino 1.2L (6 cup) stainless. Heats water fast on our glass top electric stove. We've had it since 2016.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The efficiency business gives the nod to the electric kettle but we're talking miniscule energy amounts in my view. I see the biggest advantage to a stand alone electric kettle being temperature control, although their accuracy, depending on the model, could be called into question. That said I find the amount of steam escaping the Fino kettle's vents, be it from full on boiling or just starting, to be a good indicator of relative temperature of the kettle's water. One could always use a temperature probe through the lid's vents or direct without the lid if precise temperatures are truly needed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A brief search found this which may be helpful:

How to tell water temperature in a stove top pour over kettle?

To tell the water temperature in a stove top pour over kettle, you can use a combination of visual and auditory cues. Here are some methods:

Visual Cues:
Observe the steam rising from the spout: As the water heats up, you’ll see a steady flow of steam rising from the spout. The steam will become more intense and rapid as the water approaches boiling point.
Look for the formation of bubbles: As the water heats up, you’ll start to see small bubbles forming at the bottom of the kettle. As the bubbles rise to the surface, the water is getting closer to boiling point.

Auditory Cues:
Listen for the sound of boiling: As the water reaches boiling point, you’ll hear a distinct sound, often described as a gentle roar or a series of small pops. This sound is caused by the rapid formation and bursting of bubbles.
Pay attention to the pitch and volume: As the water heats up, the sound will change from a low, rumbling noise to a higher-pitched, more intense sound. When the water reaches boiling point, the sound will become more intense and loud.

Other Methods:
Use a thermometer: If you have a thermometer, you can place it in the kettle to measure the exact temperature. However, this method requires a thermometer and may not be practical for everyday use.

Check the kettle’s design: Some pour-over kettles, like the Barista Warrior Pour Over Coffee Kettle (https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Kettle-Thermometer-Exact-Temperature/dp/B01KSWK25M?th=1), come with a built-in thermometer. If your kettle has this feature, you can use it to monitor the temperature.

Remember, it’s essential to be patient and attentive when heating water on the stovetop. With practice, you’ll develop a sense of the temperature based on the visual and auditory cues, allowing you to achieve the perfect temperature for your pour-over coffee or tea.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Which is what I do Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
this $35 goose neck kettle for pour overs, etc.
Japanese made Fino 1.2L (6 cup) stainless.

Thank you, bald1!

That's squarely within the intended budget. At that price, I can't go wrong.

The Russell Hobbs electric kettle came up earlier today. I do like the looks of it... and, it's sold out. Frown
A Cuisinart PerfecTemp also came up. It's closer to a hundred bucks, and appears to have some built-in electronics. I like the looks of it, but I'm looking for simplicity. Just learned: it's made in China.

This Fino looks perfectly simple. I'm going to give it a try. I'll continue looking, though, just because I'm continually curious. Smile

I can't say I'm refined enough to be picky about actual temperature (yet). So far, I'm in the camp of, "It's boiling, unplug it and pour it" with my old-school pot.

- - - - -
ETA: Holy smokes! The Barista Warrior unit you mentioned claims to be USA-made! Cool

God bless America.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those who prefers separate components rather than all-in-one whether we're talking stereo or water kettles.

That Barista unit was in the article I copied from my search. It appears to have an inexpensive thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1 integrated with the lid. If it fails you either put up with it or replace the lid.

Much like my decades old espresso thermometer shown here with a Thermoworks DASH digital probe (we use all the time). The dial job compared to the digital is nowhere near as accurate FWIW.

And there seems to be a lot of amazon customer questions and comments about the metal construction of the Barista: stainless or aluminum. The Fino is 18/8 stainless.

There are other gooseneck stovetop kettles with thermometers but I didn't check where they're made.

Again we've been well satisfied with the Japanese made Fino for ~8 years now. We choose it over the more expensive also Japanese made Hario V60 "Buono" stovetop gooseneck kettle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IGOXLS.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
When you use a temperature probe, bald1, do you have to lift the lid on the pot (letting heat out)? Or can you put the probe into the gooseneck?

Thank you for the stainless/aluminum heads-up on the Barista unit.

God bless America.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
When you use a temperature probe, bald1, do you have to lift the lid on the pot (letting heat out)? Or can you put the probe into the gooseneck?

I don't use any probes with my Fino.
As said earlier the amount of steam venting is what I use to determine how hot my water is.
The lid vent holes are too small and the gooseneck too curved for a probe to be inserted anyhow.

Sorry if my picture of my probes confused. I haven't used the dial one in ages and we use the DASH for cooking.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I understand better now. Thank you. Smile

God bless America.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Again my apologies. That snapshot of my "probes" was to simply illustrate the analog dial style evident in these kettles with "built in" thermometers. And to contrast them against a solid accurate digital type.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
There's no apology necessary -- I'm the one who misunderstood things. Smile

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
If you can find any small household appliance or gadgets NOT made in china congrats they pretty much corner the market on that stuff.

Substantial increase in price for things made anywhere else is to be expected.

I am never a fan of replacing something that still works fine.

A simple pot on the stove is fine or just throw water in a proper vessel in the microwave

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post