SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disabled Shoppers Struggle With Inaccessible Self-Checkouts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disabled Shoppers Struggle With Inaccessible Self-Checkouts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hell, the machines have a prompt for how you want to pay. Credit card? Touch.

I’ve never seen a self checkout that you couldn’t get a wheelchair up to. Fuck, you can get the big ass scooters in there.

Nice job trying to turn this into “we hate disabled vets” thread. Coming from a vet I haven’t read anything even close to that. Keep that silly shit to yourself.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
You drew the short straw in life... I'm sorry for your fate.

Go fuck yourself, kind sir.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's nice that you have had so little bad life experiences in this area. Believe me, it won't last.

When you have to deal with it, sucks to be you. I'll go have a sandwich.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm the first to say people complain too GD much on this forum. Just check my post history. BUT...

This automated teller shit is getting to be a bit much.

PX on post just installed one, 6 terminals, usually 6-10 people in line. No human-operated registers open, but a gaggle of MoFrickin employees standing around the customer service area. AND....AND...now I'm being charged a store service charge, cough*** tax*** cough, on top of ringing and bagging my own shit.

I think stores really need a reality check in that customer service is what you are selling, not your cheap shitty products I need to conduct my daily business.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Lots of people need scooter and wheelchairs - and I think those are all set up for that crowd.

Frankly, have something set up at customer service for the blind to pay.

Every company will get rid of “almost” every customer facing employee, the moment it is possible.

99% of the aggregation and stress is dealing with that employee, and only a handful of people are actually worth having around.

Keeping the really good people, who are friendly and personable, and letting them have time to be friendly and personable with folks who are looking for that, while the people who don’t want that can be served in the minimalist way they want, is ideal.

I had a regular who wanted to chat in one of my stores the other day, and another fellow got huffy, and left.

I was behind the counter because most of my staff were “sick” after Thanksgiving.

Not a surprise. Most of that type of worker gets “sick” the day after a holiday.

We have a side project to automate ice cream scooping. If I had that, the huffy fellow can go get served by the robot, and the chatty folks can chat.

The only people who lose are those who like being demeaning to folks in the service industry, because they’ll just be kicked over to the automatic services.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It is good business to do what is possible to let everyone come buy things.

That said, there's a limit. What's next, discrimination lawsuits because stores have parking places that some folks can't use? Or shelves too tall for 'everyone'?
quote:
The U.S. is looking into the possibility of creating regulations for the accessibility of self-service checkouts and ordering systems.

Of course they are. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not disabled but I hate self checkout. My wife and I go shopping for groceries and other staples at our local Walmart about 1x a week at least. She picks the self check area every dang time. And with no alcohol purchased it causes an employee to come over and clear an error at least every other time. And I have to bag my own items ? Wtf? When I go by myself I use a human. I love chatting them up. And If I’m not getting a discount on the pricing I’ll have the employee bag it, thanks. I tell my wife she is contributing to the unemployment problem using those machines.

While I’m ranting. There’s a McDonald’s near me and they are perpetually short staffed ( odd because chick Fila has an abundance of nice friendly clean cut kids who seem grateful I’m there. Maybe it’s the pay rate ?) I once went in said mcd and they said use the kiosk only. 2 feet away from the register. I politely declined and went to the next grease bomb fast food hole down the road.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

“I don’t want to go to a staff checkout because I’m still vulnerable to catching infections, and I don’t want someone else handling my stuff,” she said. “[Self-checkout] just cuts out that extra person that you’ve got to interact with.”

So how exactly did you deal with your fears before ANY stores had self checkout and you had to have another human breathing on you and touching your stuff? Well, I'm waiting?

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

It's nice that you have had so little bad life experiences in this area. Believe me, it won't last.

When you have to deal with it, sucks to be you. I'll go have a sandwich.

I think cparktd's comment has been taken out of context. I didn't read it as heartless - I read it as a simple statement of fact.

Here is his entire post:
quote:

When wanting to right a wrong but hopeless cause that had befell me my Lawyer said...
It may suck but NO ONE ever promised you life would be fair.

EVERY store I have been in with self check outs had an assistant watching to help if needed.

EVERY store I have been in has a staffed conventional register as well.

There are simply many things disabled people cannot do that 'abled' people can. Short people can't reach the top shelf - so let's ban tall shelves. Weak people can't lift that 50# bag of dog food. So, let's put that food into five 10# bags (and charge more). An amputee cannot carry a handbasket AND reach for an item. Most parking spots are not handicap accessible. There are stairs in many places that some people cannot use. Sure, there are ramps and elevators, but many people can use both while some can only use the ramp/elevator. Blind people cannot read ink books - so do we mandate that all books are printed in ink AND braille?

quote:
The U.S. is looking into the possibility of creating regulations for the accessibility of self-service checkouts and ordering systems.

THIS is where this is leading. Get govt involved in a mom-and-pop grocery store and enforce national handicap self-service terminals. I mean, somebody pointed out how ludicrous it is to complain that blind people may have trouble with touch screens.

There will always be things handicapped people cannot do. It is unreasonable to mandate that EVERY aspect of life has to be 'accessible' for everybody. Life is not fair, and saying so is not necessarily being heartless and/or cruel.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am impressed by your compassion. I am sure our handicapped veterans would appreciate your comments.
I agree. What an ass. If a business can reasonably accommodate those with a disability then why not. They drew a bad straw there’s no need to pile on. If an easy fix can make everyone’s life a little better I’m all for it. I think the internet might be killing compassion.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I read the article finally. You guys really think this is a good “issue” to get behind?

You guys are getting wrapped up in the disabled vet stuff. Nothing about this is coming from a disabled vet. Nothing about this is about “access”. They adjusted the screen and moved the shelves for her. Not enough. It’s bigger than that. According to her. She’s afraid to use a checkout counter because the people might infect her. Go read her drivel filled lawsuit.

This ain’t about vets, disabled, vets, or actual access. She wants an industry wide standard applied to all self checkouts that has every possible ability she could think of. She wants a headphone port. Why does a deaf person need a headphone port? Why would a blind person need a headphone port? It is drivel by a crazy lady. It’s a cornucopia of gadgetry to satisfy her.

There are struggles we need to support. This one ain’t that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The woman's demands would be a problem for Walmart, but would quite simply put the locally-owned grocery store out of business. Is that what we want? Or do we want each store to be the master of its own fate, accommodating people or not as they see fit?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
The woman's demands would be a problem for Walmart, but would quite simply put the locally-owned grocery store out of business.

Walmart would probably LOVE this. . .

Remember when covid shut down SO MANY stores, EXCEPT for Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and liquor stores (the giants)? You think those places that had the government's permission to stay open didn't profit at the expense of the little guys and/or independent operators?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post