SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have new LED lights in my home!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have new LED lights in my home! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I had a reliable electrician in to replace several incandescent light fixtures with dimmable LED fixtures (purchased from Amazon). All a friendly 3000K warm white. New dimmers, suitable for LEDs, too.

The bulbs in my high kitchen ceiling light and my two vanity lights were a PITA to replace. Very happy that I won’t have to do that anymore!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I recently replaced all of my florescent lights with LED. It made a world of difference.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2095 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Better light, the price of LED's has come down a lot, and a much lower power bill.
What's not to like?

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In addition to replacing all of my incandescent lights with LED lights, I replaced the switches on about half of them with Z-Wave switches that I can control with Smartthings. That allows me to turn on/off and dim with my iPhone, Harmony Remote or iPad. Great technology. Inexpensive Z-Wave motion detectors can control lights to automatically come on in a room at night and turn off at a certain interval. My living room can lights also come on at 1/2 hour before sunset. No limit to technology.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
They will save you a pretty penny on electricity.

Though, I note you saying 'I won’t have to do that anymore!' and I should advise that they don't all last anywhere near the claims. You may ask how I know.

I've replaced all the ceiling bulbs in two houses with LED floodlights and have had maybe 5% of them fail within the first year. Not subtle failures, either - either stopped working altogether or started going intermittent. Replaced under warranty for the first year. Failures have continued after the warranty period, but at a lower rate.

Bottom line: save your receipts so that this happens to you in the warranty period, you can get them replaced.

RE: PITA to replace. With two houses having lots of ceiling floodlights, I invested in two things that make the tall-ceiling light replacements (whether LED or standard) easier: bulb grease that gets applied to the threads before installation (makes the bulbs easier to remove when it's time), and a long-handled bulb changer.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I’ve learned about LED’s - a big power surge will take them out. New home, all LED lights. Lightening strike to transformer feeding house. About eight overhead lights failed right away, another half dozen died within a day or so. I had procrastinated about a whole home surge protector. A good one is installed now, hopefully will prevent this happening again.
And, BTW, they are a PITA to replace.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Upgrading everything in the new (to us) house. Incandescent and flourescent (with a couple of exceptions) are or will be replaced with LED fixtures or bulbs and all of the switches are being replaced with Lutron Caseta, which I'm extremely happy with so far.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I had a broken dimmer switch in the foyer and just replaced it with a Lutron CL dimmer and new LED bulbs. It's great!

Provides best dimming performance for LED bulbs
Toggle switch to turn lights on/off; discreet slider to dim
Installs in 15 minutes or less (which was 2 days for me... LOL)

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24183 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I invested in two things that make the tall-ceiling light replacements (whether LED or standard) easier: bulb grease that gets applied to the threads before installation (makes the bulbs easier to remove when it's time), and a long-handled bulb changer.

I never thought of bulb grease. I recently replaced 3 conventional spots in my closet. I could remove 2 with the long handled bulb thingy. The third was stuck. I ended up removing the fixture and actually breaking the bulb so I could get a pair of pliers on the base to rotate it out. PIA on top of an extension ladder.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My home was built in 2016, and the builder installed several dozen can lights. The builder grade flourescent bulbs began burning out at the 6 month mark, and I've been replacing them with LEDs. Every room that I use the can lights (e.g. kitchen, hallway, home office, etc) is now 100% LED, and the flourescent are mainly in rooms with both can lights and ceiling fan light (mainly use this or lamps).

I've been buying 90+ CRI, 2700k LEDs from Costco. It's a really nice light color, and I like that there is instant light unlike the flourescents they replaced. It seems to be a truer color light than the warm white flourescents they replaced so perhaps this is the 90+ CRI.

I bought into the hype that bathrooms benefit from 5000k. They're the the 90+ CRI Cree bulbs from HD. I hate these bulbs so I'm betting my issue is the 5000k color not the CRI.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23323 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
RE: PITA to replace. With two houses having lots of ceiling floodlights, I invested in two things that make the tall-ceiling light replacements (whether LED or standard) easier: bulb grease that gets applied to the threads before installation (makes the bulbs easier to remove when it's time), and a long-handled bulb changer.

I keep silicone faucet grease on hand for various purposes. I put that on screw-in incandescent bulb threads.

It looks like Vaseline, except it’s perfectly clear, and doesn’t get runny when warm.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we moved into our current house, we had surface mount LED's put in ceiling in various rooms-a fantastically right decision. Compared with old can lights, these require no cutting into insulation, are only about an inch tall.

Gradually replacing older switches and dimmers with new Levitron switches and dimmers compatible with Apple HomeKit, so I can control with the iPhone. So far working well.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I use dielectric grease on all of my lights now.

I used to only use it in automotive and bathrooms, but with LED bulbs lasting longer, I just use it every time to combat any oxidation or corrosion that might build up.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve finally installed all the extra CFL bulbs we had on hand. As those go out, I’m replacing with LED. I’d love to know what the electric bill difference will be with all LED. I’d need to replace close to 100 bulbs for the whole house.

Posts: 2160 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Did the same thing at the CSM Compound recently, except went with 2700K light temp. the 3000K was way too white for our taste.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Though, I note you saying 'I won’t have to do that anymore!' and I should advise that they don't all last anywhere near the claims. You may ask how I know.

I've replaced all the ceiling bulbs in two houses with LED floodlights and have had maybe 5% of them fail within the first year. Not subtle failures, either - either stopped working altogether or started going intermittent.

Yep. While the LED emitters themselves have ridiculously long lifespans, the internal circuitry in the bulb can still fail well before the emitters go out.

My 6 month old house has all LED bulbs, and I've already had to replace 3 LED bulbs that went bad. Usually starts with flickering upon startup, followed shortly by total failure.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3000K is my preferred color temp. 2700 is too soft for me.

Can be hard to find in stores cause its mostly 2700 or 5000.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
2700 is good for stuff like bedrooms. Personally, I dislike brighter bluish white lighting in bedrooms. Having a warmer yellowish light makes the jarring transition from dark to light a little less so.

But in kitchens, bathrooms, garages, basements, and workspaces, the 3000k-5000k lights are a big help in seeing detail, reading, etc.

My living room has both, on separate switches. 2700k lighting on the fan for when I want it warmer and cozier, and 5000k cans in the ceiling for when I need to really see what I'm doing.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LED’s are great and should last a good long time. Really my only issue with them is if you have a bunch of can lights in the same area and need to replace one. Not all manufactures temp ratings look the same as each other. It’s especially frustrating when they all match when on full blast but don’t match at other dimmer settings. My suggestion is to take a picture of the box or buy plenty of backups.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've had both ceiling fixtures in the kitchen and one in the bathroom replaced with LED ones and am very satisfied with the change. A few old bulbs in various places have been replaced with LED ones, but one has stopped working. It's a ceiling light above the stairway and very difficult to replace. My Handyman will have to do it (I don't "do" ladders).

Thinking about getting one of those screw-in replacements to use LEDs in the garage (there are several different ones adverdised on late-night TV).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post