SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army drone goes missing in Arizona
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Army drone goes missing in Arizona Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
$1.5M, Maybe Trump should look into the cost of these.

An unmanned aircraft launched Tuesday from Fort Huachuca, Arizona, lost connectivity and hasn't been found, Army officials said Friday.

Soldiers from the 14th Brigade Engineer Battalion -- which is part of 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division -- visiting from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, launched the RQ-7Bv2 Shadow on Tuesday evening, the release said. The aircraft took off from the Hubbard Landing Zone on Fort Huachuca's East Range before losing communication.

"Despite considerable efforts to locate the missing Shadow, it has not been found and is thought to have disintegrated upon impact somewhere in the local area," the Army said in a statement.

The Shadow is a rapidly deployable, short-range airborne reconnaissance system, according to the Army. It can fly for eight to nine hours and cover a distance of 125 kilometers.

It weighs 450 pounds, has a wingspan of 20 feet and a fuel capacity of 58 liters. Each Shadow costs about $1.5 million.

https://www.armytimes.com/arti...s-missing-in-arizona

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just hope it had not been hijacked.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
"Rancher Mark Brazell has reported finding the remnants of a mysterious craft on his property."

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
We have the technology to trace cars, trucks, phones, and laptops but we can't trace military drones?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was one of the aircrew that spent 10 hours looking for it yesterday - 6 of it in the air at 1000 feet and 90 knots

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I was one of the aircrew that spent 10 hours looking for it yesterday - 6 of it in the air at 1000 feet and 90 knots

CAP by chance ???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yep

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
*closes garage door*

Drone?!? Nope haven't seen a drone anywhere.

*fidgets nervously*

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to be the IO for that FLIPL. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
1.5M and it doesn't have some sort of a long lasting locator ping?

I'm not up on drones or that technology but I would have thought it would have some kind of a locator.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a find my drone app needs to be designed!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
What the hell is an engineer battalion doing with a drone?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Maybe it decided to follow Craig Button's flight plan?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
What the hell is an engineer battalion doing with a drone?
I'm guessing they use it to perform aerial surveys for potential build sites. Back in 1972-1975 I'd have loved to have one to search for bare hills on which to locate mobile radars.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:

I'm not up on drones or that technology but I would have thought it would have some kind of a locator.
Yeah I call bs. You can get them on a $1000 Dollar commercial drone that will tell you where it is within a few feet.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We lose these things all the time. They lose connection and stop responding to pilot commands. DART (downed aircraft recovery teams) spend most of their time looking for unmanned craft.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:

Yeah I call bs. You can get them on a $1000 Dollar commercial drone that will tell you where it is within a few feet.

quote:
is thought to have disintegrated upon impact somewhere in the local area," the Army said in a statement.

Not much of it left if that statement is true to send much of a signal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
They need to spend a couple hundred on each and install an iphone so they can use the find my iphone app! Smile

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

It probably fell in the crack.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I'd hate to be the IO for that FLIPL. Big Grin

I think a FLIPL has a limit in regards to the rank of the individual that lost it.

O3 lost 8 pair of binos and it was written off as a property book error. PFC Snuffy lost an ACOG during a mission and got hammered. It would be interesting to see who signed for the Shadow last.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Report This Post