SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "A Field Guide to Gun Shows"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"A Field Guide to Gun Shows" Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 211 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
meh. not very creative. i'll pass.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
They forgot about the guy selling beef jerky, and the dealer who tells everyone, "All the cops buy all their guns from me."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Got a good laugh.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Missed the "Beanie Babies" table.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missing:
Guy that you can smell 3 aisles away.
Guy that has the turkey calls that he demonstrates from open to close.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Missing:
Guy that has the turkey calls that he demonstrates from open to close.

I haven't heard the turkey call guy, but I have heard the Chinese stungun guy. Just walking along, when suddenly POPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP! And he thinks it's soooooo funny, and somehow that sound is supposed to indicate just how well it will incapacitate a hypodermic-wielding junkie coming for your shoes. He also has pistol crossbows, weird giant fantasy knives for $13, and a whole selection of knockoff knockoff Uncle Mike's nylon holsters.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17089 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^^ and the same guy has cheap laser dot things that he has to shine on the far wall of the building just so everyone can see how cool a laser dot is.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:

We've got a few of those locally. Freshly crapped pants and riding a scooter that blocks all aisles. Pins dozens of people in the aisle up-close-and-personal to said freshly crapped pants.

We have the Chinese stun gun guy with cheap nylon holsters and hi-speed gear.

Avoid the knife sharpener guy. His demo will ruin your blade forever.

We seem to have chips-and-salsa vendors in addition to beef jerky. I haven't seen beanie babies for ages. The vendors can't pay for their table because of no interest.

If it's the "arms collectors" show, we've got the nazi memorabilia guy, the bookseller covering all topics military and UFO alien rectal invaders, and the 6 guys with old hunting and WW2 wood-n-steel rifles to show but never sell.

Finally, the list leaves out Shaniqua, Laquonda, etc. who is a 21 YO "Bravo Foxtrot" buying from "DICK" in the list. She has no disqualifying offenses to fill out a 4473. She is with 6-8 bravo mikes who evaluate the merchandise and make the selections. She never speaks until the 4473 comes out. Pays in cash. Buys from multiple vendors the same afternoon.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Then there's the guy with the table full of new, generic, Jam-o-matic mags. No name or markings on any of the mags, but he claims they are all as good as factory mags. He's even got mags for that old Walther you bought some 30 years ago.

But after the AWB sunset, these guys don't seem to be around as much for some reason.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
There always seems to be a dizzying array of cheap Chinese optics.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The LGS owner used to put on shows twice a year, but it was pretty much the same old same old. Then the city almost doubled the cost of renting the community center (about the only venue locally for shows). He used to charge $6 for a two day pass. Now all we get are out of town organizations putting on shows, at a much higher admission cost. And the ones in the Valley (some are extensive and good, I'm told) are even more expensive to get in, plus they also charge for parking. I find what I want via other sources (online, friends, etc) and have taken a permanent pass on gun shows.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
^^^^ and the same guy has cheap laser dot things that he has to shine on the far wall of the building just so everyone can see how cool a laser dot is.

That's a different guy now, he's all China scopes, all the time. Mr. Zapper with the Cousin Miguel nylon holsters also sells dreamcatchers, and really big magnifying glasses for some reason.

Not a whole lot of ghetto trash buying hunnid dolla problem solvas through their "clean" ladyfriend at the WAC shows, still gotta be a member to buy a gun.

Also the Rule of Three. At some point, you will get blocked in by three guys who decide to stand in the middle of the aisle and have a long, stupid conversation about bullshit. Inevitably one will have a giant backpack on that is for some reason absolutely stuffed, even at the beginning of the show. He will be positioned so you cannot get by him, even if the other two douches are up against a table. That table looks like it might have an FR-8 for a good price, buuuut the press of the crowd has moved you along, and here comes Bubba to snatch it up so he can butcher it into another garbage deer rifle. After drunkenly taping the receiver for a scope, he will turn around and try to sell it for 4 times as much, because now it's "customized".

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17089 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
And you can spot the veteran show-goer because he's the one that doesn't flinch at the annoyingly loud crackle of a stun gun.

Posts: 1655 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when Mosin-Nagant M91/30's were $90 at Big 5, there was always one guy selling them for $250 as a "rare Russian rifle".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Back when Mosin-Nagant M91/30's were $90 at Big 5, there was always one guy selling them for $250 as a "rare Russian rifle".

The local Cabela's now has those same rifles for $389.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The guy with the old cardboard boxes with the Montgomery Ward logos on them. One box is full of used grips which are mostly pull-offs from Old H&R revolvers. Everyone paws through it in hopes of finding an unused set of P228 Nills which have been mis-priced.

The other box is a huge, I mean HUGE, box of old smelly K-Frame leather holsters from a time when the holsters hung low from a Sam Brown belt and had that little leather strap that went over the hammer to a snap on the side of the holster. These are clearly from the Ed McGivern era. The metal snaps always had some green ooze on then that I never fully understood. $15 each. But there is no hurry, the same box will be there next year, with the same holsters. Oh, he's got those huge speed loader pouches with the plastic insert too.

Then there's that one gun, usually something like a P220 with a European style mag release that goes from dealer table to dealer table. Each dealer trying to sell it to the public for a slightly different price. It never actually leaves the building. There's got to be something wrong with it.

ETA: Wow, post 7000!!!

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!