SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Postal Service considers rural mail slowdown after election
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Postal Service considers rural mail slowdown after election Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ours are pretty good. I can only think of a couple of issues in the past 18 years, and it's always been with a new carrier who's still learning the ropes. Our current guy is great. If I have a mail problem, it's almost always FedEx Ground.

This sounds like a typical government solution...screw over the rural people in favor of the city dwellers. I also don't see how it saves them money to sit on packages for an extra day...they have to make the rounds and do deliveries anyway, so what's the savings there? Seems to me that this will just further clutter up their handling and processing facilities, creating more problems.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The fees for junk mail should be increased. One of two things would happen. Either
  • the post office would get more revenue, or

• we would get less junk mail, reducing the load on the system.
Either outcome would be A Good Thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So I missed the part where the rural areas will get Forever stamps at a discount to make up for the slower service?

Hmm.

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The fees for junk mail should be increased. One of two things would happen. Either

+1

I'd add that the post office should be run as a business and entirely self-sufficient. Congress should stop bailing them out with billions in subsidies.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24636 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Our post service is pretty good on delivery, even though we're now more suburban than rural, and the local small town po I use is pretty competent and the people friendly, been going so long that I've survived several employees tenure...

There are a few things we get in the mail that are important, 90% it's crap, like emails we don't want we should be able to opt out of junk mail.

At that point we'd likely only get political mail...

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

+1

I'd add that the post office should be run as a business and entirely self-sufficient. Congress should stop bailing them out with billions in subsidies.

Same with AMTRAK.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I’d be ok with delivery every other day or so. They can drop Saturday delivery.

It cost a lot of $$ to be driving those vehicles all over everyday. Then look at what you get on the average mail day?

Amen. I've been saying this for a long time. Thank you for echoing it. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13905 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

+1

Same with AMTRAK.

Not likely. The elephant in the room which no one in Washington wants to talk about is the postal union, which besides generous pensions has one of the best health insurance plans in Washington--They contribute to Democratic, progressive candidates--and they vote. Suspect the same is true for Amtrak.

Posts: 228 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
If the Post Office went any slower they would be in Reverse.

Posts: 591 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:

No mail for you....two years!

Posts: 6736 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
as an internet seller, I ship quite a bit,

most goes USPS,

I also know my carrier (well, till she went out for hip replacement, now I have no idea who will show up) and most of the folks at my local post office

I used them cause they are the cheapest for small stuff, the minimum for UPS is about $11, I can mail small stuff for 1/2 that or less most times,

the issue is at the postmaster level and up,

I have scheduled pickups, only to have them show up the next day ( the driver did not get a notice to pick up, fault of the post master)

had many instances where I needed to call and file a claim, and get a call from a clerk, not the post master

another issue in this area is they have eliminated local sorting, all mail goes to the local post office, then into a truck to the local hub/processing facility, then back to the local branches, in the past if I mailed sometehing local, as in to my county courthouse or county business offices etc, it went to the local office (we have the same zip) and into the county mail box, no more

waste of time , fuel, etc, and a bigger chance for theft , loss and mis direct,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
They are doing a lot of Ups's heaving lifting around here?
The whole thing is a mess and just keeps costing more? It is disgusting.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Texas to Michigan and back to Texas?

Posts: 5015 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
USPS service in our area is excellent. I don't have a magic wand to wave to wave and make things better. Keep up the good work USPS !

Posts: 841 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I’m in a rural area, and I have zero complaints about the local post office or their people. The regional distribution center is another story, they can’t seem to get anything straight.

I was at the post office mailing a package toward the end of the day, when the postmaster from another post office shows up in her personal car bringing mail from her post office that was destined for our post office. Talking with her and the postmaster at the local post office, this happens all the time. The distribution center regularly sends mail to the wrong post offices around the area.

The other thing I question, again I’m in a rural area, 30 minutes from a grocery store, is that there are 3 Post offices within 5 miles of my house. Those could easily be consolidated.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:

No mail for you....two years!

How could you tell?

Posts: 53844 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
They are doing a lot of Ups's heaving lifting around here?
The whole thing is a mess and just keeps costing more? It is disgusting.

there is a name for that, redi post or shared post maybe, basically an item starts it journey with UPS and ends up at a post office who delivers it to the mailbox, something about UPS not having many drivers in some areas etc

Amazon is the biggest issue, they use both UPS and USPS as well as their own drivers , and the local branches are getting swamped,

side bar, last year my regular UPS guy played hell getting temp help last holiday, folks just did want to work or show up for work,

bettign that will be an issue again this year

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If they stopped delivering so much crap that goes straight to the landfill a got back to delivering actual mail perhaps a lot of attitudes might change.

I collected all my junk mail for a month and took it back to the post office for disposal. They were not happy.

But I’m the customer and I wasn’t happy.

Posts: 53844 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm not in a rural area, but I'd support it where I am. Heck 2 days a week would probably be more than enough most of the year.

However it's the Post Office, so everyone would still work a 5+ day work weeks, they just wouldn't deliver 5 days of the week.

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
If they stopped delivering so much crap that goes straight to the landfill a got back to delivering actual mail perhaps a lot of attitudes might change.

I collected all my junk mail for a month and took it back to the post office for disposal. They were not happy.

But I’m the customer and I wasn’t happy.

I'm sure they weren't happy but I would have told you to take YOUR unwanted mail somewhere else to dispose of it.

Posts: 6736 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post