SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrician Question Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrician Question Please Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
these are specifically made to connect ballast wring to house wiring, while providing a safe disconnect inside the fixture/ballast area.

what am I missing in this application that make this "illegal"

I think he's saying the stranded wire needs to be "welded up" (tinned) with solder first.

Regarding the tap connectors --- thoughts on just using them for the ground wire (not hot or neutral)?

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
you should use these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ide...k-30-1302S/202935637

That would be a code violation. Can't use those.

quote:
Min. 2 #18 Stranded Tin-Bonded per side

Unless he forgot to mention the wiring was Tin bonded/plated. Can not use regular stranded wiring in those since the manufactures instructions say not to.

these are specifically made to connect ballast wring to house wiring, while providing a safe disconnect inside the fixture/ballast area.

Not following the manufacture's instructions. Is a code violation. They are designed to be used with #12-#14 stranded wired or Tin-Bonded #16 or #18. He specified in OP that it was #18 Stranded.

In order to use these you would still use two wire nuts to connect the ballast end to a piece of #12 or #14 wire so that you are following the directions. Not following the manufacture's instructions not only is a code violation but also voids it's UL Listing.

Also just try sticking non plated wires that small in there and tell me how many tries it takes, or if you can even do it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
you should use these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ide...k-30-1302S/202935637
That would be a code violation. Can't use those.

quote:
Min. 2 #18 Stranded Tin-Bonded per side
Unless he forgot to mention the wiring was Tin bonded/plated. Can not use regular stranded wiring in those since the manufactures instructions say not to.

quote:
From the product description on the web page:
It's the first push-in luminaire disconnect that fully meets the National Electrical Code for non-residential fluorescent fixtures

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They are allowed in residential, just not required yet. They exist for dumbasses like me that work on live 277v fixtures twenty feet in the air in retail spaces where we can't turn off the store lights to service them. In the V-Tail household if I needed to fix your garage, kitchen, or shop fluorescent fixtures I can flip off the switch, so they just aren't needed. Half the new fixtures come with them either way so manufactures don't need to make two lines of products. I usually just cut them off in houses.

Rouge, let us know how they look in the end and be safe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post