SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrician Question Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrician Question Please Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I have an LED style shop light. Like an old fluorescent, but brand new and LED. 57 Watts, 120v. It's got 18AWG stranded wires. The wire feeding it will be 14 AWG solid. I was going to use wire nuts, but I know standed and wire nuts aren't an ideal combo. Guy at HD recommended these. They're really "tap" splices, but they do seem an interesting way to connect dissimilar types of wire.

Thoughts? Gauge lines up well. I test connected and it seemed tight. Should only be about a 1/2 amp. I'm not daisy chaining anything. Will go into a 4x4 metal box with a lid that I've placed for the connection.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyc...-53440-7-5/202204287

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just use wirenuts. there is no problem with doing solid to stranded, and certainly no problem using with LED as they draw next to nothing. I do not trust anything like what you linked at all, I will take a well made wirenut connection above snap together connections all day long.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Western Union Splice, look it up. There isn't anything more durable than a properly soldered Western Union Splice.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had any problems using wire nuts with stranded and solid wires.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Quality wire nut, and done.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I would probably use wire nuts as well, however, you could solder the connection first and then screw on the wire nut as a cover.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the "push in" connectors? I wired my daughters newly finished basement and the LED can light units I used came with these pre-installed. I thought about cutting them off and using wire nuts, but decided if Home Depot sells them they must be OK. Sure were easy to use! No problem so far.

Posts: 617 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Western Union Splice, look it up. There isn't anything more durable than a properly soldered Western Union Splice.

I think that must be what is all through my house. I keep finding wires that seem to be soldered and taped.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Western Union Splice! That brings back memories. Every single one of those I ever did never lasted more than 30 minutes. Wink
*Used for connecting electrically-fired demolition systems. More exciting while splicing under direct enemy fire. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8273 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a chance, no UL listing, wire nuts

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use wire nuts the way God intended. Lighting fixtures always have stranded wire that you connect to the solid feed. wire nuts work every time.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Wire nuts it is. Thanks guys!

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I hate using tap splices on 12v DC circuits, there's no way I'd use them for anything "bigger".

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I tried to use some of the splices you linked to and they can be a PITA to use. I wasted more than I used.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree, sometimes those things work and sometimes they are a problem... must have been designed and sold for folks that don't know how to twist two wired together.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Ideal wire nuts.

https://www.grainger.com/produ...i55:20170603220340:s

Smart man right there ^^^

Exact ones I use unless I need larger ones (Big Blues or Red TwisterPro) or smaller ones (little blues).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
you should use these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ide...k-30-1302S/202935637

That would be a code violation. Can't use those.

quote:
Min. 2 #18 Stranded Tin-Bonded per side

Unless he forgot to mention the wiring was Tin bonded/plated. Can not use regular stranded wiring in those since the manufactures instructions say not to.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
you should use these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ide...k-30-1302S/202935637

That would be a code violation. Can't use those.

quote:
Min. 2 #18 Stranded Tin-Bonded per side

Unless he forgot to mention the wiring was Tin bonded/plated. Can not use regular stranded wiring in those since the manufactures instructions say not to.

these are specifically made to connect ballast wring to house wiring, while providing a safe disconnect inside the fixture/ballast area.

what am I missing in this application that make this "illegal"

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post