SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    reports that Mitch McConnell may retire but McConnell tweets he will return to Senate on Monday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reports that Mitch McConnell may retire but McConnell tweets he will return to Senate on Monday Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://thespectator.com/topic...cconnell-retirement/

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell has been out of the public eye for weeks, following a serious fall that hospitalized him.

Now multiple sources confirm that Senators John Barrasso of Wyoming, John Cornyn of Texas and John Thune of South Dakota are actively reaching out to fellow Republican senators in efforts to prepare for an anticipated leadership vote — a vote that would occur upon announcement that McConnell would be retiring from his duties as leader, and presumably the Senate itself.

McConnell fell at a dinner event for the Senate Leadership Fund on March 8 at the Waldorf Astoria, formerly the Trump Hotel, in Washington, DC. He suffered a concussion, and only after being treated at a hospital and at his home did murmurs begin that he might be unable to return to the Senate.

McConnell has guided the Republican Senate since 2007

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
maybe not

McConnell a few minutes ago:

"I am looking forward to returning to the Senate on Monday. We've got important business to tackle and big fights to win for Kentuckians and the American people."

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
More or less the same as Dianne Feinstein, no?

I keep hearing the words "Don't push me!"

I also keep trying to do the math. Fetterman is/is not showing up to work these days, DiFi is out and her absence is apparently holding up Uncah Ho's judicial appointments for lower federal courts, Pushing Turtle is still out from his 'minor fall', Kackling Kamala has made three tie-breaking votes, and the Senate is still divided 48-49-3.

Are the old farts taking turns at being medically indisposed, or is this Mother Nature's version of term limits? Dingy Harry Reid certainly took his time getting back to the Senate floor after (apparently) his brother punched him in the eye.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As a Kentuckian, I can state that Mitch is not well loved (liked) by many in the Commonwealth, but he’s way better than the LEFTIST trash that the Dems keep throwing up.

Mitch isn’t as dumb as the various Dem leadership in House and Senate, so he might bow out indeed. Depending how the Governor race goes this November will determine who runs in 2024 for that Senate seat.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I would be very surprised if MCConnell gave up his space at the trough so easily.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
As a Kentuckian, I can state that Mitch is not well loved (liked) by many in the Commonwealth, but he’s way better than the LEFTIST trash that the Dems keep throwing up.

Mitch isn’t as dumb as the various Dem leadership in House and Senate, so he might bow out indeed. Depending how the Governor race goes this November will determine who runs in 2024 for that Senate seat.

Worst case, Little Andy runs for that Seat...

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Do you guys want McConnell? Or do you guys want Amy “I’m a mom, a Marine and a fighter pilot that supports gun confiscation” McGrath or Charles “I know Kung fu” Booker?

Because if Mitch bows out, that is surely what you will get. Or worse. Best case scenario is a “moderate” like the time they tried to slip Merrick Garland in as a SCOTUS justice as a “moderate”.

Like it or not, that’s your choices today.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Do you guys want McConnell? Or do you guys want Amy “I’m a mom, a Marine and a fighter pilot that supports gun confiscation” McGrath or Charles “I know Kung fu” Booker?

Because if Mitch bows out, that is surely what you will get. Or worse. Best case scenario is a “moderate” like the time they tried to slip Merrick Garland in as a SCOTUS justice as a “moderate”.

Does Lil’ Andy get to appoint the seat?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
McConnell, Feinstein, Fetterman and probably several others that are under the radar, are well past their sell by date and need to be gone.
Nobody wants to give up power easily.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
McConnell will not retire until Kentucky has a republican governor unless there is no way around it. The governor will appoint his replacement until the next election. The election for governor is this November.

Posts: 396 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.courier-journal.co...ncy-plan/7055091002/

Historically, Kentucky's governor has been able to choose anyone — of any political party — to fill in temporarily if a vacancy pops up in the Senate, whether that happens by the senator's choice, expulsion or death.

SB 228 changes that appointment process in key ways. Most notably, it requires the governor to pick a temporary successor who shares the same political party as the departing senator.

It also makes them select that person from a list of three names provided by the executive committee of the departing senator's state party.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

If there's one thing I've learned - and it holds every bit as true for John Cornyn in my state as it does for Pushing Turtle in Kentucky - it is that the number one thing for people like Mitch is to destroy, distract, co-opt or marginalize anyone who even looks like they might mount a successful challenge for his position in the future. And yes, I mean among both the Republicans in Kentucky and the Republicans in the U.S. Senate.

Take away the pyramid Mitch built to keep him securely at the top, and everything goes into motion. A handful of senior senators might be able to install one of their coterie in the slot, and you can bet some of them are already planning that. But it also becomes an opportunity for other Republicans to move forward to multiple positions in both Kentucky politics and in the Senate GOP Caucus.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post