SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    60K BTU Propane Furnace Installed....Guess How Much?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60K BTU Propane Furnace Installed....Guess How Much? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
The job is pulling out an oil furnace and furnishing and hooking up a new 60,000 btu propane in a basement. No AC, run the propane line to outside where the oil line was routed, new plastic intake and exhaust of course. I forget the brand but it's from the same company that makes Carrier. After I heard the price I asked how long to do this and he said "one guy a good part of a day".

This is going in a 125 year old house that I probably should have torn down when the roof started leaking but ended up putting a new roof on.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Including the cost of the new furnace?

$7500

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$6300.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
$4500, 2 NIB 226 mags, and a used dog.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Oh, about $3000 or so for the unit. $200 parts. $1400 to install.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
$4,500 would give a one-man shop a nice profit. The bigger shops have far higher overhead.

In theory, one can install a higher-end Goodman for $3,000 and still walk out with decent coin for the day. Doubt it is a day job, though. Sounds like a lot of work. Is there a basement entrance?

Around here, maybe a few miles to the north and west, $8,000-$9,000 would not surprise me.

Is the oil tank being removed?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I kind of figured $1,000-$1,300 *cost* for the furnace and the few materials, one man 5-6 hours.... say even all day so 8 hours...maybe $400-500. So $1,300 plus $500 = $1,800 cost. Add 30% more for profit so $2,400.

Price I just got was $3,200. At least you guys make me feel a little better.

Stairway to basement is right at the outside door.
They don't have to take the old furnace I'll sell or give it to somebody.
Told him I'll be there so happy to to help, carry, fish the line through, etc.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Told him I'll be there so happy to to help, carry, fish the line through, etc.

That should cost you at least another $500.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
That should cost you at least another $500.

That's probably it! Big Grin

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Bryant or Payne?
I’d expect 3600-3800

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Bryant or Payne?

One of that group I don't know which. Any of the UTC brands better or worse?

posted Hide Post
I think $3200 is a good price. I would expect $4500.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the old heating oil tank is underground and has to be removed add several thousand dollars.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The cost of materials and equipment creep up as always, but you know what's killing contractors these days? Especially sole proprietors and small companies?

Carrying all the insurance and doing it all above board is simply expensive. There are more factors, certainly, but a HUGE chunk of the cost of a job just goes right to paying bureaucracy of one kind or another.

$3200 does sound good, and spending for an efficient furnace is worth it long term.

I'd love to put a Buderus in my house.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27006 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The cost of materials and equipment creep up as always, but you know what's killing contractors these days? Especially sole proprietors and small companies?

Carrying all the insurance and doing it all above board is simply expensive. There are more factors, certainly, but a HUGE chunk of the cost of a job just goes right to paying bureaucracy of one kind or another.

$3200 does sound good, and spending for an efficient furnace is worth it long term.

I'd love to put a Buderus in my house.

This, my buddy has a business and has to pay 6% to workmans comp for every dollar he pays his employees, then has to carry health insurance, long shoremans insurance, $2 million liability, and some other insurance, all for a marine detailing business that washes and waxes yachts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
$3201...what?! Are we not playing The Price is Right?!

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Man Thats a great price.
(Buderus, I just bought a home with one.
Me likey. So clean and tight and pretty quick.)

I have another unit to replace, on the fence on what to do as its a rental in same building, but at the price you got tho..Heck get two!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post