SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California Outdoes Itself By Mandating Electric Trains
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California Outdoes Itself By Mandating Electric Trains Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
California Outdoes Itself By Mandating Electric Trains That Do Not Exist

DAVID BLACKMON

Anytime you assume Gov. Gavin Newsom’s California state government has achieved peak regulatory insanity, rest assured you will soon find your assumption was mistaken. The latest example of the effort by state Democrats to force the Golden State into full energy collapse comes from the California Air Resources Board (CARB) which recently applied to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for a waiver under the Clean Air Act that would enable it to implement new regulations forcing the electrification of freight trains.

Just one problem: The electric trains CARB wishes force into action beginning in 2030 do not currently exist.

https://blackmon.substack.com/...rue&utm_medium=email

You really can't make this stuff up!

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up in SoCal I had an electric American Flyer freight train - maybe that counts! Big Grin

However, I wonder if that interferes with interstate commerce and somehow violates federal law?

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
California Outdoes Itself By Mandating Electric Trains

Read the article (what you can of it) and you'll see this is not actually the case. I'm sure somebody was nutty enough to have thought it up and even stupid enough to submit the waiver, but it will never happen in reality. There are freight trains so long that when they negotiate a loop/spiral, they actually intersect themselves. It is completely unfeasible to have them electrified.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Buying Lionel stock....

Posts: 6791 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
^^^^ and Mattel

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
For me, nothing beats Newsom announcing all electric cars by 2030 something and the very next day, announcing that EV users should not charge their vehicles so as not to overload the grid. WTF.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
new regulations forcing the electrification of freight trains.

So California wants to end freight train delivery to California?
Cool! Cool

Everything entering California will have to be trucked in, using even more energy and costing way more... Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Buying Lionel stock....

Louis Marx & Co. maybe making a comeback?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, it's that time of year again: rolling blackouts and governmental insistence to electrify your life. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
The government of California is nuts, as we all know, but there may be an alternative to diesel on the horizon. CSX has been working with Canadian Pacific Kansas City (CPKC) to develop a hydrogen powered locomotive. The first is currently being tested and isn't proven yet, but as soon as the folks in California hear about it they'll mandate that it be used there in place of traditional diesel engines, whether it proves successful or not.

https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/...aboration-with-cpkc/

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first is currently being tested and isn't proven yet, but as soon as the folks in California hear about it they'll mandate that it be used there in place of traditional diesel engines, whether it proves successful or not.

I hope the hydrogen powered locomotive is successful.
But your last sentence sums it up for the whackos in California...
California = mandates.
Buncha ignorant elitist commies making everyone's life worse and more difficult.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HO gauge could be the answer! Those were electric over 50 years ago.

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I thought LNG would make sense on a train - TMK it’s cheaper than diesel per BTU, and I don’t think trains stay still much - but I have no railroad experience other than the type ran around the Christmas tree.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
There is no free lunch.

Where does the majority of H2 come from? Methane, CH4 - oops, there's that pesky carbon atom again. The by-product of H2 production from methane - CO2. Eek

Link
quote:
Hydrogen gas is produced by several industrial methods. Nearly all of the world's current supply of hydrogen is created from fossil fuels. Most hydrogen is gray hydrogen made through steam methane reforming. In this process, hydrogen is produced from a chemical reaction between steam and methane, the main component of natural gas. Producing one ton of hydrogen through this process emits 6.6–9.3 tons of carbon dioxide. When carbon capture and storage is used to remove a large fraction of these emissions, the product is known as blue hydrogen.

Green hydrogen is usually understood to be produced from renewable electricity via electrolysis of water. Less frequently, definitions of green hydrogen include hydrogen produced from other low-emission sources such as biomass. Producing green hydrogen is currently more expensive than producing gray hydrogen, and the efficiency of energy conversion is inherently low. Other methods of hydrogen production include biomass gasification, methane pyrolysis, and extraction of underground hydrogen.

As of 2023, less than 1% of dedicated hydrogen production is low-carbon, i.e. blue hydrogen, green hydrogen, and hydrogen produced from biomass.
Kind of reminds me of the meme where the two trains are hauling mega coal cars and the caption says something about your EV fuel is on the way.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trains are already electric!

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.

I'm with you guys. I have some old Marklin Z scale trains.

Mine may have to make an extra trip.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
We should corner the market for warning signs
"Don't pee on the rails"

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6409 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
While we hamstring ourselves(CA in this case) the rest of the world attempts to march forward.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
While we hamstring ourselves(CA in this case) the rest of the world attempts to march forward.

True, 90% of India’s 42,800 miles of railway system is electric. China has 62,000 miles of electric rail, but that represents only 65% of their total of 96,000 miles of rail. The US has about 1,000 miles of electric rail out of 160,000 miles total, .6% electric rail miles.

Hydrogen is dead on arrival:
“It’s also extremely water-intensive. For example, generating enough hydrogen to replace the diesel at one BNSF facility would require 12-20 million gallons of water per day, equivalent to five percent of LA's residential water usage.“ Link

India and China are not using hydrogen.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post