SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you growing in your garden?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you growing in your garden? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Last year I turned my deck into a garden with planters all the way around the railing. I’ve added even more pots and planters and should have a decent garden. Because my deck is one story up it keeps the wildlife from eating my lettuce.

So far it looks like I’m gonna be growing:

Tomatoes
Lettuce
Cabbage
Mint
Cucumber
Eggplant
Cilantro
Strawberries
Citronella
Lavender
Green peppers
Chives
Green onions
Sage
Thyme

What are you planning on growing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
we're still weeks away from even tilling;

have permanent blueberries/raspberries/strawberries; rhubarb/garlic/various herbs/apples/pears when the produce/plums/morels when they cooperate

expect obligatory tomatoes/onions/green beans/green/red peppers/sunflowers/squash/carrots/beets/variety dry beans/about giving up on the delights of home grown okra/favas

Corn, melons & potatoes don't work very well in our garden spot.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Fill them up with garlic in Autumn stickman.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes, squash varieties, eggplant, peppers, okra

Maybe some beets.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I have blue berries and grapes for the deer and birds. For me I have cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, cucumbers and sweet potatoes.

This year I'm doing all hay bale. Autumn planting season, I hope to go late with green beans and, probably, more sweet potatoes.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Weeds right now. Well, technically I just cleaned them out.

I'm hoping to get some tomatoes and green beans going after my baby is born.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Outdoors, I’m growing:
  • 4 varieties of tomatoes - 2 eating and 2 sauce
  • 3 varieties of peppers
  • 2 varieties of green beans
  • personal sized watermelon on a trellis
  • mojito mint
  • catnip for my cat
  • rosemary
  • carrots
  • malabar spinach - asian variety that likes heat and grows like a vine

Indoors, I’m using my two aerogardens to grow the things too delicate for Texas’ bugs:
  • butterhead lettuce which I’ll switch to cilantro and basil before tomato harvest
  • romaine
  • spinach

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    We keep talking about building a planter in our back yard & haven't gotten around to it.

quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Outdoors, I’m growing:
  • 3 varieties of peppers
  • mojito mint
  • catnip for my cat
  • rosemary
  • carrots

Indoors, I’m using my two aerogardens to grow the things too delicate for Texas’ bugs:
  • butterhead lettuce which I’ll switch to cilantro and basil before tomato harvest
  • romaine
  • spinach

• I'ma start shoppin' at Todd's instead of HEB Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    Right now it’s weeds and mud. It’ll be tomatoes, squash, zucchini, okra, corn, bell peppers, few varieties of beans, onions and TBD.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, and more sweet potatoes. Some cherry tomatoes and hot peppers too.

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drug Dealer
    Picture of Jim Shugart
    posted Hide Post
    Not much and all in planters/buckets.

Thyme
    Rosemary
    Italian parsley
    Curley parsley
    Chives
    Peppermint
    Tomatoes
    Okra

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    Potatoes - Red Norland & Yukon Gold
    Tomatoes - Early Girl & Better Bush
    Radishes
    Beets
    Zucchini
    Japanese Eggplant
    Peas
    Beans
    Onions - Red & Yellow
    Mint - a few varieties
    Sweet Basil
    Sage

My wife has a bunch of different flowers in pots on the back porch.

Everything is going great right now. We'll see how they fare when the real heat hits.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    put the garlic (2 varietals) in last fall, doing well,

got the onions started by seed in containers, and the garden area tilled,

will plant in the next week,

English peas
    fordhook limas
    crowder or blackeye peas
    green beans (snaps)
    potatoes
    more onions,

watermelon
    cantaloupe
    a few tomatoes, and peppers,

and whatever else I think off,
    will do pumpkin in june,

no squash, damn squash bugs are killer and need to give them a year or so to die off

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Right now I have:

Mint(for mint juleps)
    Red Onions for the grill, and tops for salad
    Okra
    El Grande Jalapenos
    Habinaro peppers

I don't have a large place to grow things, plus our summers "fry" most plants!!

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Snow, mud, wet grass.

P226 9mm CT
    Springfield custom 1911 hardball
    Glock 21
    Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1141 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    slowly killing a better boy tomato plant, for some reason I just can't get them to do well here in FL, however the three pepper plants, one hot and one sweet banana and another sweet bell seem to be thriving...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    Only some herbs right now.
    Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley and Rosemary.
    More to come.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Team Apathy
    posted Hide Post
    I planted probably 3-4 weeks later than I wanted to but it’ll be ok. Last year I crammed way too much in a little space so I’m cutting way back this year.

- 2 golden cherry tomato
    - 2 large red tomato of some variety
    - 1 yellow think skin crookneck squash (I hope, I’ve had terrible luck with squash not being labeled right)
    - 2-4 green bean, bush type. We’ll see how many sprout ok.
    - 2 red bell pepper
    - 2 yellow bell pepper
    - about 35 silver queen corn. Yum!

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    non ducor, duco
    Picture of Nickelsig229
    posted Hide Post
    I don't know. It's beyond me at this point.

My parents were born and raised farming in Italy. So now that they are retired their daily "job" is farming in the back yard. We don't even mow the lawn back there anymore. There is maybe 2 feet of grass left.

The rest turned into a farm.

There is just too much to list. Cherry tree, plum, orange, lemon, persimmons, fig, pear, peach, apple, and some other fruit trees that I can't remember.

Then there are blackberry, raspberry, golden raspberry, cantelope, watermelon, honeydew, strawberry.

Then there are tomatoes, potatoes, peppers a few different kinds and colors, eggplant, zucchini, squash, green beans, chicory, escarole, lettuce, romane lettuce, broccoli rabe, garlic. Seems like everything but corn.

and every kind of spice.

Not just 2 or 3 plants either. I'm talking 15-25 each depending on their yeild. They even build a green house leantoo on the side of the garage for germinating.

All year round when they eat a fruit, they save the seed if the like the fruit and try to grow from them.

Seriously, its gone to far now.

But who am I to complain, I get to walk outside and eat something fresh of the tree when ever I feel like it.

Oh, and don't let me forget the grape vines. God forbid we don't mention those mighty roots, my father will snuff me out in my sleep if I don't brag on those...

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by P250UA5:
    We keep talking about building a planter in our back yard & haven't gotten around to it.

quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Outdoors, I’m growing:
  • 3 varieties of peppers
  • mojito mint
  • catnip for my cat
  • rosemary
  • carrots

• romaine
  • spinach

• I'ma start shoppin' at Todd's instead of HEB Big Grin
    To be fair, my garden looks nice this year but so far it’s been more beneficial to my chiropractor than me.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post