SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Potential liability with lending a ladder to someone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential liability with lending a ladder to someone? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
My neighbor wants to borrow my Werner 28 FT aluminum extension ladder because "her guy" does not have a vehicle to bring his over to repair a couple shingles at the edge of the roof. I said I would but I would need her to sign away any liability on my part in case guy falls of ladder and has serious injury. I doubt her guy has much if any insurance. She says he is a construction worker that does side jobs.

Any idea what kind of liability form I would need? Some list "activity" field and I am wondering if I could use that and for activity list "borrowing for use of a Werner 28 FT extension ladder"?

Also would me getting a liability waiver from her protect me from any liability of "her guy" suing me if he did fall of the ladder that I lent to her and is in excellent shape? She already told him she could probably borrow a ladder from a neighbor.

If I put my just name on the waiver does that protect my wife also?

I am looking at the forms on this website as an example.

http://www.formstemplates.com/
http://www.formstemplates.com/release-of-liability/
http://www.formstemplates.com/...of-liability-choose/
https://formswift.com/builder....d1329a3&key=75288763

Any link to a suggested document to use. I don't mind paying $10 or so.

Do office supply stores sell such fill in documents?

Am I better off just saying I found my ladder is damaged and thus can't lend it out?

If I go to a lawyer, assuming I had the time, to have document prepared I am pretty sure she would not want to pay for that.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
You don’t sound comfortable doing it. Perhaps a better approach would be, “I’m sorry, I do not lend tools. For less than the cost of a proper indemnity agreement (where you agree to pay any cost of defending me), you could buy a ladder of your own. Sorry.”

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m not the type to worry about everything. I would evaluate if the ladder is sufficient for the job, then is the roof worker familiar going up? I’d have to ‘assume’ a handyman doing roof work knows how to do it safely.

If yes & yes, I’d just let them borrow & not worry about it.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
the ladder isn't the problem when hiring someone doing a side job you are taking a chance. hiring someone with proper insurance is the way to go it protects you and the contractor. even if you have him sign something he will find a lawyer and sue you home owners insurance anyway

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he fell wouldn't he sue her home owners insurance instead of trying to go after you? I don't see how you would be legally liable if he fell off your ladder unless it could be proven in court you knew the ladder was defective and there was a high probability it would fail.There are lots of guys doing odd jobs around people's homes, many do good work, charge reasonable rates but many don't have insurance so you run a risk of being sued anytime you hire one if they are injured on your property. With that said I wouldn't have a problem lending my ladder out to a neighbor and I'd be more concerned with not getting it back than I would with being sued. Even if your neighbor signed a waiver and the guy signed a waiver you can still be sued.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't even occur to me to require something like that. If I was so worried about a potential lawsuit then I would say no to your friend and just be done with it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
If he fell wouldn't he sue her home owners insurance instead of trying to go after you? I don't see how you would be legally liable if he fell off your ladder unless it could be proven in court you knew the ladder was defective and there was a high probability it would fail.There are lots of guys doing odd jobs around people's homes, many do good work, charge reasonable rates but many don't have insurance so you run a risk of being sued anytime you hire one if they are injured on your property. With that said I wouldn't have a problem lending my ladder out to a neighbor and I'd be more concerned with not getting it back than I would with being sued. Even if your neighbor signed a waiver and the guy signed a waiver you can still be sued.

Thanks for the info. The more I have been looking into it I think you might be correct in that my liability would be to make sure that the ladder I lend is in good safe working order and maybe even demonstrate such and document with a quick phone video going over the ladder parts.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sell it to her for $50 with a bill of sale, with a disclaimer that the ladder appears in good working order but she should inspect/have inspected the ladder by a ladder expert before use?

After the job is completed successfully without incident, you buy it back from her?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Sell it to her for $50 with a bill of sale, with a disclaimer that the ladder appears in good working order but she should inspect/have inspected the ladder by a ladder expert before use?

After the job is completed successfully without incident, you buy it back from her?

Thanks, that is not a bad idea.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Guy across the street, I've known him for 20 years, wanted to borrow my 6' A-frame ladder to climb in a back window. He knew I had it because he "noticed it was behind my house". Roll Eyes I told him it was locked up and I misplaced the key. Same issue, someone unfamiliar with ladders and english falls, and hires someone very familiar with law.

New renter two doors down wanted to borrow the same ladder as soon as he moved in, to repair a porch light. I told him of my concerns, falling, being interrupted to get it back, having to come ask to get it back. I did lend it to him, but did have to go retrieve it.

Generally, I never ever lend any tools related to my trade.

Dad, 84, is moving. Wants to borrow my truck, which is loaded with commercial lability insurance. I imagine an idiotic impaired relative moving the truck for dad, backing into the house or another car, and claiming he did not realize the truck was so big and heavy. Lawsuit against me for lending the vehicle.

In the words of my insurance agent, if the request makes you uncomfortable enough to have to wonder whether it might be an issue, you're better off not making the loan.

In this state, Pennsylvania, I'm on the hook for anything that happens with my truck. A direct contradiction to my father claiming, "I'll take care of anything that comes up". That is not the way it works.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I better off just saying I found my ladder is damaged and thus can't lend it out?

If I valued my relationship with my neighbor I wouldn't lie.

Also, I agree with calugo, above.

I'm a lawyer, but I've never asked for a waiver to loan something out. I judge the person I'm lending to. There are people I won't lend to. If I trust the person, I will explain enough about the equipment for them to use it safely. I'll also explain my concern about liability... and ask "Now, you're not going to come after me if you have a problem with this equipment, are you?" If they can look you in the eye and answer that question, and you trust them... then I'd go ahead.

With the contractor using it you introduce a 3rd party, which complicates things. The bill of sale idea is not a bad one. I would just tell my neighbor of my concern and say "It's not my ladder, it's your ladder... if you want to let the contractor use it." If you trust your neighbor, that should be sufficient. Your neighbor, if trustworthy, wouldn't bring you into the equation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
You don’t sound comfortable doing it. Perhaps a better approach would be, “I’m sorry, I do not lend tools. For less than the cost of a proper indemnity agreement (where you agree to pay any cost of defending me), you could buy a ladder of your own. Sorry.”
This

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.” Willie Shakespeare

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Waivers are nonsense in my opinion and won’t protect you from liability.

If the person she hired can’t provide the proper equipment to complete the job, she hired the wrong Workman.

In my opinion, she would be providing the resource, you would be lending to her... it would be her, whom the lawyers would go after first, you have no agreement with the worker, just your neighbor.

I wouldn’t be comfortable either, not with how I’ve seen some of the roofers work in my area.

I would be honest and explain your concern, if she is miffed, then she’s not much of a neighbor.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Lending something to a neighbor is one thing. There are lots of things I'd lend a neighbor.

I would not, however, lend a neighbor something so they can lend it to someone else. To do paid labor much less.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waivers are nonsense in my opinion and won’t protect you from liability.

They may protect you from liability, but what they won't do is protect you from the lawsuits or insurance companies settling to prevent a lawsuit.

quote:
my liability would be to make sure that the ladder I lend is in good safe working order and maybe even demonstrate such and document with a quick phone video going over the ladder parts.

I'll let the lawyers chime in on this, but I would think doing this would actually increase your liability. You're no ladder expert. You have no idea how to know it's in safe working order. If you "demonstrate" it is, and it isn't, now you've represented that it was.

I like the idea of selling it and buying it back. Do two bills of sale, have your neighbor sign both at the same time (buying it from you, and selling it to you) and take a check.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've told friends and neighbors I don't lend out ladders, guns and knives. I also point out that the latter two are locked up but the first is hanging outside and if someone stole it I would never know as long as it was back in place the next time I needed and went looking for it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Lending something to a neighbor is one thing. There are lots of things I'd lend a neighbor.

I would not, however, lend a neighbor something so they can lend it to someone else. To do paid labor much less.

Well, this is the crutch of it.

If you really want to help her out, just sell her the ladder like suggested above and then buy it back.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Or, you could go up there and fix that shingle!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post