SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big deer in my neighbor's back yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big deer in my neighbor's back yard Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood. My immediate neighbors have often told me they would allow me to bowhunt in their yards. I smile and decline; there's just too much risk. And I have some great land I hunt only 30 miles away. Then my neighbor sends me this photo taken from his deck. Sigh......

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the picture, it looks like he is still pretty young.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What risks do you see bow hunting? I’d say that specific area seems perfectly safe?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It is big.

Who put the antlers on that horse? j/k

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31426 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
What risks do you see bow hunting? I’d say that specific area seems perfectly safe?

Putting an arrow in or through it and having it run off and end up somewhere that would be a bad area for it to expire, i.e. another neighbor's yard, the school playgound that borders the neighborhood, the street, etc. We do have a few neighbors that are against hunting. I've put an arrow through a deer, nicked the heart, and had it run 75 yards before it piled up.

-----------------------

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
quote:

Putting an arrow in or through it and having it run off and end up somewhere that would be a bad area for it to expire, i.e. another neighbor's yard, the school playgound that borders the neighborhood, the street, etc. We do have a few neighbors that are against hunting. I've put an arrow through a deer, nicked the heart, and had it run 75 yards before it piled up.

Yep. My brother arrowed a rabbit in our back yard when he was a youngster and it ran off and ended up on the neighbors front porch spinning circles and leaving a bunch of blood.

It’s hard to tell without looking at the body but it does look kinda young. It will be fun watching it get older and turn into a real brute if it hangs around.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
It’s hard to tell without looking at the body but it does look kinda young. It will be fun watching it get older and turn into a real brute if it hangs around.

The biggest threat to it will be vehicles.

-----------------------

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Maybe its just age setting in, but I'd recommend you just enjoy the pic and the fact you have nature that close to you 24/7. As you noted, there are plenty of areas to hunt. Your neighborhood shouldn't be one of them (IMO).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
quote:

Yep. My brother arrowed a rabbit in our back yard when he was a youngster and it ran off and ended up on the neighbors front porch spinning circles and leaving a bunch of blood.

I used to live in Anchorage, AK. During the summer there were about 300 moose living in the city but when the snow began to fall the moose came down out of the Chugach and there were 3000 living in the city. Fall, winter, and spring it was a weekly occurrence to see a moose within' a 100 yards of my front door (sometimes 1 or 2 yards as they'd be eating my landscaping by the front porch).

Before I lived there, there was a moose hunting season that will go down in infamy. The city decided to allow moose hunting with a bow in the city limits. By Alaska code, you have to harvest the meat from any animal you shoot or there are stiff penalties (loss of license and big fines) if you don't. In other words, a bowhunter would shoot a moose on their own lawn and after being shot it'd wander off into a neighbor's lawn, school yard, etc. where they had to field dress the 800 to 1800 pound moose where it fell. My friends who are avid moose hunters call it absolute carnage and a mistake the city is unlikely to repeat.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23282 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ While my friends were going to UAA, they had one that would stick it's head through the window and into their kitchen.

I said "one day she's going to decide to come in and just walk through that wall".

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. I had big deer in my backyard at my last house. I had 1.6 acres in suburban Cobb County outside Atlanta. A few of my neighbors hunted in the neighborhood and killed big deer. I love to hunt and kill big deer but it just doesn't seem all that interesting to me to sit in my backyard to kill a deer. Not to mention having to chase one into a neighbors yard.

Funny story, my neighbor killed a deer and it died in my yard last January. No problem. But it happened to be the first day of us showing our house to sell. 3 couples came through and were treated to a puddle of blood and hair down by my fire pit. I was not very happy but it ended up not hurting us as two of them made offers the next day.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
From the picture, it looks like he is still pretty young.

Absolutely no way to age a deer from a single grainy pic laying down. Could be 3.5 or 6.5, no way to know without seeing it on it standing.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We call those kind of deer suburbanites around here. They wander the tracts of woods between houses and neighborhoods. They become so used to people they become almost domesticated. You will never see a buck that size lying out in the open like that in the daytime in the wild.

People feed them all the time around here and even buy large size dog beds for them to encourage them to bed down in their yards.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post