SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions Requested for Balance Problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions Requested for Balance Problems Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
One general recommendation is to reduce intake of sugar and carbs. Most of the time persons with balance problems experience much less difficulty once they change their diet. Eat more bacon and steak!

This is most likely due to increased sugar levels in the blood supplying food to organisms living inside you. Either they are directly damaging balance sensors or the nerve, or cause damage through an autoimmune cross reaction.

-c1steve

Posts: 4062 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
V-Tail,
"Dizziness" or "loss of balance" are vague terms that don't really make long-distance diagnosis (much less 'holistic' alternative therapy) likely to be successful.

Neuropathy can affect people in at least two ways: (1) loss of autonomic nervous system control of blood vessels which can lead to pooling of blood in the feet, and decreased blood supply to the brain: this causes light-headedness when standing; (2) loss of proprioception, which is the feeling of where our toes are (among other things); that's an important part of balance.

Normally we balance ourselves with a combination of proprioception, vision, and vestibular function--that's the middle ear, which is why when people have middle ear problems they lose their balance. If we lose one of those, it makes coordination and balance more difficult.

Remember I'm not a neurologist, but as a cardiologist we often were sent patient with complaint of "dizziness" and had to work out--together often with a neurologist--what the problem was.

That's all a long way of saying: don't use the internet to diagnose your problem. I'd go to your neurologist and ask for a good physical exam (neurologists are really good at that, even though they usually can't do a darn thing to cure what is ailing you).

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply, Dr. GoodHeart. Re your suggestion that there are two likely causes, I think that we can eliminate the first one, there is no light-headedness. The second, loss of awareness of toes, is definitely a contributing cause, likely the main cause. With the foot numbness, my feet are just not telling my brain how my weight is distributed. Probably not an ear problem, there is no vertigo, nothing like that. Best I can describe it, I'm just not sure-footed.

As far as neurologist, my primary care doc sent me to one to confirm his diagnosis of Guillain Barré. She (the neurologist) is no longer available, I believe that she has fled the country, her practice being yet another victim of ObamaCare.

I asked my primary guy if he had a referral for another neurologist, he just shook his head and said no, not for my problem (Guillain Barré).

I have been in email correspondence with a forum member who is a health care provider, I believe a physical therapist or a similar discipline. His suggestion was to get a consultation with a physiatrist. I gave google my zip code and it took a few tries to convince google that I did not want a psychiatrist, but it came up with a physiatric fitness center only minutes from my house. Their website mentions balance problems for seniors, so it looks promising; I'll try, tomorrow, to set an appointment for initial consultation, and see where that goes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30712 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sjtill,

I have a 90% success rate with balance problems, using alternative health care methods. Alternative health care approaches are often extremely successful treating many if not most chronic conditions.

The main weakness of western medicine is that the system is too narrowly focused. Also drugs and surgery are the main methods of curing illnesses, both of which have tremendous side effects.

-c1steve

Posts: 4062 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Numbness and lack of feeling in forward part of feet and in fingers persists. Numb fingers mean that my day is not complete if I don't drop two or three things. Numbness in feet contributes to balance problems. I walk carefully, but there are slip-ups. I lost my balance in the kitchen this morning, trying not to fall, I twisted and wrenched my back.

I'm hoping that some sort of exercise program will help with the balance, I'm looking for recommendations from those who might have experience.

I have CMT syndrome, but was misdiagnosed with GBS because the symptoms are pretty much identical. After the onset of my condition it took almost three years before I recovered what I would consider to be normal feeling in my hands and feet. CMT is a degereritave disorder, and about a year ago I started having balance issues because of numbness in my feet. It may or may not be the GBS rhat's giving you issues, or it could be a TIA. If I were you I'd see a neurologist just to rule anything serious.

For exercise I'd try swimming, Tai Chi, or anything else that's low impact and works all parts of the body.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If GB is the root cause, that is an auto immune problem. You might try a major change in diet for a few weeks. If symptoms are noticeably improved, boosting the immune system should help.

Time and time again I see patients with auto immune or related problems, where a simple change in diet makes a huge difference.

For autoimmune diseases, often an underlying infection is only inside the gut tube. Dendritic sensor ends in the gut tell the immune system that a pathogenic bacteria is trying to access the body. The immune system then mounts a response, causing damage to joints or nerves. It is believe that some bacteria have evolved so markers on the cell surface mimic human cells. This helps them hide from the immune system, but sets up autoimmune reactions.

-c1steve

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

I have CMT syndrome, but was misdiagnosed with GBS because the symptoms are pretty much identical. After the onset of my condition it took almost three years before I recovered what I would consider to be normal feeling in my hands and feet. CMT is a degereritave disorder, and about a year ago I started having balance issues because of numbness in my feet. It may or may not be the GBS rhat's giving you issues, or it could be a TIA. If I were you I'd see a neurologist just to rule anything serious.
Does CMT show up via a spinal tap? That's how my GBS was confirmed. I spend a week in the hospital when it first developed, TIA etc. was ruled out by staff neurologist.

It seems that this was a pretty rare occurrence of immune system being activated by a flu shot, and then immune system running amok and attacking my central nervous system. This, after decades of yearly flu shots with never a problem. We don't know for sure that the flu shot kicked off the GBS, but my primary care doc, who gave me the flu shot, says that the timing is right, and that would be his best guess. So, I am not allowed to have flu shot again, nor some other vaccines that might aggravate the condition.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30712 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that this was a pretty rare occurrence of immune system being activated by a flu shot, and then immune system running amok and attacking my central nervous system. This, after decades of yearly flu shots with never a problem. We don't know for sure that the flu shot kicked off the GBS, but my primary care doc, who gave me the flu shot, says that the timing is right, and that would be his best guess. So, I am not allowed to have flu shot again, nor some other vaccines that might aggravate the condition.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It happens. A friend of mine had same experience at age 65 with GBS due to flu shot. Steroids help short term but outcome is uncertain. My friend benefited from a PT who was knowledgeable about the condition. The simple exercise of standing on one foot is often reccomended for seniors over 65 as a method of improving balance. Of course closing your eyes makes it more difficult. After a period of time you are able to perform the exercise for a much longer period of time. Your proprioceptive skills are enhanced. There are many exercises to improve balance in those that have neuropathy.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Does CMT show up via a spinal tap? That's how my GBS was confirmed. I spend a week in the hospital when it first developed, TIA etc. was ruled out by staff neurologist.

Glad to hear they screened you for a TIA. I had one last year and it really freaked me out. CMT is diagnosed through DNA testing. When I was on active duty in the early 80's one or more of the shots I got in basic triggered the onset of my symptoms. I didn't know about the family curse, so the Army assumed GBS because of my symptoms the spinal tap was very close to whatever you need for GBS.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Yoga is definitely worth consideration to help with your balance.

The gentle martial arts practice is Tai Chi. It may help too, but I have no experience with it.

Praying for your recovery, V-Tail.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I know c1steve already mentioned electrotherapy in a prior reply but wanted to share a device I have personal experience with for treatment of an injury resulting in pain, spasms, and tingling/numbness among other symptoms. Can't say enough good things about the effectiveness and ease of use of the device. You can check it out here and at least something else to discuss with your doctor.

https://www.h-wave.com/

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Re: alternative medicine, I have to say it:

There is no "Alternative Medicine".

If it works, it's just "medicine" (Western, Eastern, whatever). If it doesn't work, it's just bullshit. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I'm not a health expert but I am an older person (70) who is beginning to have balance problems. I have found that Tai Chi is helping.
Best of luck to you,
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1695 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post