SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Tivo users here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Tivo users here? Login/Join 
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted
We are finally going to cut the cord with Direct TV. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix and will also be using an antenna for local stations.

We are looking at a Tivo so we can DVR our local shows. But, Tivo has a service fee. Frown

Anyone have experiences with Tivo? Is it worth the monthly charge???

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1549 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
TiVo offers a lifetime subscription as an alternative to the monthly fees. The lifetime subscription is connected to the machine, not to the owner, so if the machine is sold the lifetime subscription goes with the machine.

I bought a used TiVo that had a lifetime subscription. It is the discontinued Premier model. Nice thing about the Premier, it has two coax inputs, so you can connect both a cable tuner and an antenna, and tune / record both cable and over-the-air programming.

Before you buy, take a look at this website. You can get a bit of an education about TiVo, you can find aftermarket accessories (I bought a remote when ours stopped working), and they have refurbished Tivo units, some with lifetime prepaid subscriptions at some pretty attractive prices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
We've had a TiVo for a couple of years now, Wifey loves it.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Cut the cord years ago. Never been disappointed with Tivo, able to run Netflix, Amazon Prime, Etc thru it as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
TiVo is great but for what you're using it for it's not worth the monthly or lifetime fee.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pissed me off thoroughly. They "upgraded" their service and required me to buy new equipment. Further, I had only one recording unit per subscription. My local cable DVR service is far superior.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
TiVo is great but for what you're using it for it's not worth the monthly or lifetime fee.

That's what I am thinking, but there are a few shows like Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-0 that we can't find on Prime or Hulu without paying for them. That is why I have been looking at a Tivo to DVR them when we are not home.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1549 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Darn, wish I'd seen this thread several years ago. Bought a TiVo Premiere Four a little over four years ago. Went with the lifetime subscription as I have a deeply held aversion to having any more of a monthly nut than is absolutely unavoidable. Have been very happy with it. The hardware died recently and it was a cause for some concern as when we bought it the people at the store made a big point that it was the lifetime of that piece of hardware. Turns out they were wrong. Called TiVo, spoke with someone who appeared to be in a call center in India, But was actually understandable and switched on, and she processed a replacement and emailed a FedEx return label. The new unit should be showing up shortly.

ETA: For clarity, as the old unit was out of warranty, the replacement was not free.

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
We have a TIVO BOLT now but have had TIVO for years. Got rid of cable, record strictly OTA and Amazon, Netflix and PBS shows via the internet. We're saving about $160 a month and still have way too much to watch.

In my opinion in my area OTA has a better picture than cable. It took a while to transition the wife but the TIVO makes it easy and we're even down to one remote control. Hallelujia!

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 953 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

ETA: For clarity, as the old unit was out of warranty, the replacement was not free.

Did they charge you to transfer the lifetime subscription to the replacement hardware?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
We're probably only using our TiVo a very limited amount of its potential, but we like it a lot. It's a whopping $15 a month.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We love Tivo, have had it at three houses including a vacation rental. Got it because it was the simplest for renters to use, but I like its ease of use also. Got lifetime service.
With TiVo, don't need separate box to access Netflix and Amazon very easily, goes well with cord-cutting or with cable (or antenna).
Currently have a Bolt, looks weird but works fine.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Did they charge you to transfer the lifetime subscription to the replacement hardware?

If I recall correctly (Mrs. Slosig handled it) there was a charge to transfer, but it wasn't huge.

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Tivo sounds like a good deal.

If you want to have a Windows PC hooked to your TV, you can use a Silocone Dust HD Homerun as your tuner and run their DVR software on the PC. I have a tiny PC and HD Homerun, and it works OK, though probably not as polished as the Tivo.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of punch out
posted Hide Post
There is a Tivo box made for OTA antenna use only. It has no monthly subscription fees.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We are more concerned with American Idol than we are with American Security and freedom..."

Posts: 3830 | Location: Land of the Prius... | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! It's been years since we have a Tivo and there are definatley some changes since then Smile

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Not a Tivo user - the main reason I didn't buy one when I cut the cable was the subscription fee...

For recording OTA TV, I went with the Channel Master DVR+. I've had it for a couple years now and am very happy with it so far.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Not a Tivo user - the main reason I didn't buy one when I cut the cable was the subscription fee...

For recording OTA TV, I went with the Channel Master DVR+. I've had it for a couple years now and am very happy with it so far.

Thanks Fishin! I'll ck it out.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

How does the Channel Master DVR+ update the guide? Can you move programs off of the DVR?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by punch out:
There is a Tivo box made for OTA antenna use only. It has no monthly subscription fees.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr
Actually, that model does have a subscription fee, but it's only offered in the lifetime subscription mode, not the monthly, and the lifetime fee is bundled into the $399 purchase price.

What the subscription is for, is the program guide, which in turns drives the ability to select shows to be recorded, schedule "One Pass" which records all episodes of a show, etc.

We have an older Premiere model TiVo. This has two coax inputs: one for cable, one for OTA antenna. We do have the lifetime subscription, so no monthly TiVo fee. The program guide combines cable and OTA information, seamlessly.

If we had stuck with the cable company's DVR box, it would have been somewhere between of ten and fifteen bucks a month; in order to tune cable programming the TiVo box uses a cable card, $2.95 / month, instead of ten or fifteen, from Time Warner / BrightHouse / Spectrum or whatever the company is calling itself this month.

We like the TiVo, especially the model that we have, which gives us the capability of getting high quality OTA, better definition and clarity than cable!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post