SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYPD cops kill gunman who opened fire at NYC church during Christmas concert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYPD cops kill gunman who opened fire at NYC church during Christmas concert Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Suicide by cops. Based on what's written, it sounds to me like the guy did not want to shoot to kill anyone. That's my wag. What do y'all think?

Tragedy averted: Police kill gunman who opened fire at NYC church during Christmas concert

By John Solomon
Updated: December 13, 2020 - 10:25pm

A suspect who opened fire Sunday at a Catholic church's outdoor Christmas concert was shot dead by officers, pre-empting a potentially larger tragedy, New York City police said.

The incident occurred in the late afternoon at St. John the Divine Cathedral Church in Harlem.

“I can tell you from the preliminary body camera – and again, this is quick – that we watched, you see three officers acting heroically, sergeant, detective and police officer, engaging an armed perpetrator, putting themselves in harm’s way to pull people that are literally hiding behind these poles behind me caught in the crossfire,” NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea told reporters Sunday evening. “So it is by the grace of God today that we don’t have anyone struck.”

Witnesses said the middle aged male gunman yelled "Kill me" as he fired, and horrified bystanders ran for cover. Officers quickly responded to the scene and fatally shot the man in the head.

Officers recovered two semiautomatic handguns from the suspect as well as a nearby bag believed to be his which contained a full can of gasoline, rope, wire, knives, and a Bible, police said.

Q

Posts: 26501 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be racist somehow. I agree based on the limited info, suicide by cop(s).

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’re getting oh so close to para’s comet.

The world has gone nuts.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the lunatic got his wish. Glad he is the only one who became room temperature. Good job NYPD.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just want to know how many rounds the NYPD expended and what the hit ratio was.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just one portion of the encounter, but this video appears to clearly show the man asking the police to kill him repeatedly as he peeked out from behind a column. It looks like he may have been hit more than once before the head shot. Nobody except the intended target was endangered by the NYPD - it looked like they were doing well professionally engaging a mobile target.

https://www.facebook.com/steve...21813695626175/?t=99

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyEngineer:
Just one portion of the encounter, but this video appears to clearly show the man asking the police to kill him repeatedly as he peeked out from behind a column. It looks like he may have been hit more than once before the head shot. Nobody except the intended target was endangered by the NYPD - it looked like they were doing well professionally engaging a mobile target.

https://www.facebook.com/steve...21813695626175/?t=99

^^^^^ and ...

Must have facebook acct Frown

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2019 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Yet again we see the unvarnished fact that....

It took a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If he wants to be killed, why is he just peeking out from behind a column?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If he wants to be killed, why is he just peeking out from behind a column?

That's part of the game. To just stand in the open to be shot wouldn't be as exciting/fun

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post