SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manuka honey thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manuka honey thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
My preferred honey has been Black Locust (or Acacia).

There was a show recently where Manuka honey was mentioned. It sounded tasty with a nice scent. And supposedly has health qualities.

On impulse, I bought some when I saw it at the market. It is frickin expensive!!

Now, my taste buds and sense of smell isn't all the great. Losing it with age. But while the Manuka is very sweet, I'm not sure it's tastier than black locust (which to me is very fruity).

And I'm skeptical about the touted health benefits of MGO.

Any thoughts and experiences?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12794 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It's used as a salve in New Zealand. It has a much higher percentage of H2O2 than ordinary honey (the H2O2 in honey is why it doesn't spoil). They also mix it with water and gargle it for sore throats.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This type of honey is also great for packing wounds.

Lots of medical studies done to support its advantages and a natural remedy.

https://anyavien.com/study-man...ailable-antibiotics/

https://www.mediwrite.com.au/e...dicine/manuka-honey/

Prof Molan and Dr Rhodes explain that some of the properties that enhance wound healing include:

The acidic pH at approximately 3.2-4.5 helps to release oxygen to the wound to promote healing.

The high sugar content assists by forcing water out of the wound and drawing water out of bacterial cells.

Even when diluted, manuka honey shows antibacterial potency against many different bacterial species, including those strains that have developed antibiotic resistance.

Manuka honey is effective against biofilms (thin layers of bacteria that are protected against conventional antibiotics due to their method of growth).

Many clinical studies have proven the effectiveness of manuka honey for non-healing, chronic, venous leg ulcers.

Manuka honey stimulates the immune system at the wound site by activating white blood cells, the cells that fight infection (also called leukocytes).

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It's used as a salve in New Zealand. It has a much higher percentage of H2O2 than ordinary honey (the H2O2 in honey is why it doesn't spoil). They also mix it with water and gargle it for sore throats.

flashguy

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Interesting. I guess as a natural remedy, this was good.

But with easy access to peroxide at the store, to things like ben peroxide and topical antibiotics, this seems very very expensive. I thought it was going to taste magical (esp for the price).

I guess something got lost in translation for me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12794 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have celiacs. When I first got diagnosed, it was suggested I eat a teaspoon per day, to help my intestines heal - my digestive system was very damaged. I don’t think it’s meant to be eaten normally. It certainly didn’t taste very good compared to other honeys

Posts: 5761 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
My preferred honey has been Black Locust

As is mine. I discovered it when I lived in NY and had a buddy who was a beekeeper.

As a beekeeper now, I've planted a number of black locusts on my property. Hopefully in another couple of years I'll be able to get a good batch.

Posts: 20177 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried raising bees for a couple of years. Learned a lot about honey. Real, untreated honey is a great antiseptic, sticky, yes but it works. I've seen it used on wounds that I would have gone to the hospital with, it worked. It is one of Nature's presents for healing.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've watched a lot of vet videos on YT where they used sugar dressing to treat awful wounds. I'm not sure its any particular property of the honey, but the low moisture content dries out bad bugs and kills them. Using plain sugar does the same.

Posts: 11182 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per my doctor's suggestion I use Manuka honey when I get scrapes on my diabetic legs that take a long time to heal. Seems to me it is beneficial.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 85 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pootie:
Per my doctor's suggestion I use Manuka honey when I get scrapes on my diabetic legs that take a long time to heal. Seems to me it is beneficial.

That's interesting. I'm fascinated by nature and especially about honey since learning that "honey is the only food that doesn't spoil because it has anti-bacterial properties." I think I learned that line from a comedy show like Seinfeld.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19763 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The highest quality is Manuka Med USA They rated score is 20+ medical honey only needs a score of 11. Manuka flowers are grown in NZ. These people own the hives and sell it to everyone else. I know this area very well, as it's excellent of wound care treatment of decubitus ulcers (bedsores)
Medi Honey- big-name rated score 11 (just qualifies as medical honey.)

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8423 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I had shoulder surgery two years ago and my wife (nurse) bought some of that Manuka honey to apply on the incision. Very quickly, it healed and all I can see is a thin (blue) line! LOL!!! I'll swear by it!

Posts: 3400 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overpriced. Extremely so.

Posts: 1929 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Used some on a goat head thorn that kept working its way deeper into my foot... The honey made the flesh soft and goopy so that the thorn would come out of my foot. Took about two weeks to get the thorn off, but darn did it feel good when that thorn came out.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post