SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The sound of freedom is loud.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The sound of freedom is loud. Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I love the sound of freedom.

Today we saw (and heard) several pairs of F35's. They were REALLY loud, and totally awesome to see in person (though I prefer the F22's).

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Badass looking planes.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The F35's were a lot louder than the F22's we've seen before. It is amazing how maneuverable they are.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I saw an F22 fly at the air show in Nashville last year. Yeah, they're loud. And badass. The maneuverability was incredible.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I saw an F22 fly at the air show in Nashville last year. Yeah, they're loud. And badass. The maneuverability was incredible.

I've seen the F-22 fly a demo and it can do some wild turns and other maneuvers.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Got to see an F-22 up close and personal at the 2015 Ocean City Airshow.

By up close and personal, I mean Mrs.BurtonRW and I were out on a friend's boat anchored just outside of the performance box.

Well... when the F-22 is demonstrating some of its low speed and vectored thrust maneuvering capabilities... yeah - I doubt he was more than 100 feet off the water at times and I'm pretty sure we felt his exhaust almost directly once or twice, albeit briefly. It was truly surreal. Took a while before my hearing was back to normal.

If you've ever gotten to witness a Harrier doing it's VTOL thing (which is also insanely loud), the F-22 doing its impossibly slow tail-standing trick is louder and more impressive when you realize the coordination that must take between the pilot and the computer.

It's a whole different way to fly - that's for damned sure.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We live in F35 country. I get a thrill every time I hear them

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Or it can be quiet and introspective. Like this walk I took a Sunday morning in December 2016 ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
man that has always been my dream job. I have an open offer to a "I promise to make you vomit" ride in an L39 Albatross, just have to make my way to Vegas

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Or it can be quiet and introspective. Like this walk I took a Sunday morning in December 2016 ...

I agree. That is one of my favorite places in the world.

Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
caaan't quite make out the tramp stamp.
Anybody?

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last football season a flight of four F-22s did a flyover prior to one game. Since our seats are in the nosebleed section, we were extremely close to the planes when they were directly overhead.

Yes, they are definitely loud but I was also amazed at how big they are. Very impressive aircraft. Now that the F-14 is history, the F-22 can be my favorite aircraft.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what church is that in the previous posts?

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is Independence Hall, in Philadelphia.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought it was, but it's been so long since I was in Philadelphia I wasn't sure.

Thank you. Now I can concentrate on trying to erase that last picture from my brain cells.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is badass:

(image removed)

F-22s and F-35s are impressive and capable airplanes.

Where did the expression "badass" come from? It doesn't make any sense.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Colloquialisms don't always make sense, no matter the language.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the account of the F-22's first combat mission:

http://aviationweek.com/defens...4485a9948ef5b493004d

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is badass:

Please show some restraint when posting! Eek

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3123 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
This is badass:

Please show some restraint when posting! Eek

Yikes !! Eye wash ! Where oh where is the eye wash ??

Posts: 1295 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's not badass. That's just bad ass.

quote:
This is badass:

F-22s and F-35s are impressive and capable airplanes.

Where did the expression "badass" come from? It doesn't make any sense.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post