SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why the Aldi hate?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the Aldi hate? Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Our Aldi is 20 miles away but worth the trip. Maybe someday they will build one in our area.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
If people come to our house to eat, free, and then complain about where we get the food.

Well they can take their happy asses out and leave. And never come back.
They wouldn't have the option . No more invitations .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We shop every week at Aldi for most staples like milk, cheese, butter, flour, sugar, condiments and so forth, the prices still cannot be beat. Cereals, snacks and canned goods too.

Some of their stuff isn’t great like their toilet paper and fruits and vegetables can be iffy sometimes but we are big fans and the haters can just keep overpaying elsewhere.

Posts: 33833 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't shop at Aldi normally because I don't want to make another stop, and wait in their long lines at the checkout. I will say that I always go there during the year end holidays to by their hams. Good Stuff

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I get Aldi flyers in the mail, but I don't pay attention to them because the nearest store is two towns over. I have Tom Thumb, Krogers, Central Market (HEB) in my town, WalMart is 7 minutes away also. Never been inside an Aldi store.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You can hate Aidi's since that leaves more for me. Big Grin
I think of it as the health food store...Brussel Sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli.

They must have long term contracts with their suppliers to hold the prices down.

I shop the weekly sales at several places like Giants 20 cents/ear of corn. And I got there yesterday at the right time when they were putting out a fresh supply.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Back before I quit Reddit last month over it being a complete toxic cesspool of nasty people, I was on an Aldi subreddit (page) and was surprised to see people posting pictures of Aldi stores in Europe where they seem to be a little more higher-end. Here in the States they are definitely positioned as a lower-end, barebones kind of discount grocery store.

Someone posted a picture of the cookie aisle of an Aldi in Austria(known as HOFER there) and it was quite impressive, too bad we can’t have that here. Those Austrians are serious about their coffee and pastry/cookies!

Posts: 33833 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

If your guests don't want to eat a steak from Aldi's...they don't have to.
More steak for you!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mark in Michigan,

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have two Aldi’s in about an 8 mile radius. My wife and I really like them. We have had good luck w/ their fruit and veggies. I like their German food selection. I know a lot of it is boxed and “not real”. But, it is good enough.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I was on an Aldi subreddit (page) and was surprised to see people posting pictures of Aldi stores in Europe where they seem to be a little more higher-end.

Correct. Aldi in Europe is more like Trader Joes/Whole Foods here in the US.

Whereas in the US, Aldi is a budget/discount grocery store.

Posts: 32531 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had to wait for more than three customers , maybe four minutes max.

I notice that customers there don't seem to purchase giant monster baskets full of groceries.

Almost always half full baskets or less, in most cases

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Cashiers are fast and since they don't accept checks or bag groceries the line moves quickly.

Aside from regular grocery the Aldi special purchase items are often high quality and bargain priced. I've bought several electronic devices and even a desktop computer and all have been satisfactory.

I live in a very convenient shopping area, the first grocery is a Meijer 2.5 miles away with Aldi directly across the street and Kroger 1/2 mile up the road. I'll often cherry pick the ads and hit all 3 stores, usually mid morning mid week with all the other old farts.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Aldi is like Lidl, mostly packaged stuff. I shop at Lidl... a little, because it's close. But there's only like the same half dozen things I buy there.

opposite for us, Lidl is not at close, and not well run here

Aldi is close, there are 3 withing maybe 13 miles, or so ,

I go in knowing I may not get what I want, but usually get it all, and then some,

great gluten free variety, but if they have some, get it in bulk, , cause some may be seasonal or not available for a good while,

overall the meats are as good as the other chains (Food lion, kroger, publix walmart)

prices are usually much better than the rest

clean stores usually, exp for one downtown that gets is ass kicked by food stampers and college folks,

and that is coming from someone with 35 yrs in the grocery biz

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wish we wouldn't throw around the word "hate" so casually. This practice has seeped into our language from the less intelligent elements of our culture, who seem to be able to express themselves only in the broadest of terms. It's street language brought about by dull-witted twenty-somethings in the last ten or fifteen years.

Let's avoid this cultural rot, please- no "hatin' on" or any of those types of silly expressions, which do not accurately reflect the things they refer to. I doubt that few people, if any, actually "hate" Aldi.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two thumbs up , Para
Agreed.

The same could be said ovf
"Love"

The most used words on the inner net.

I appreciate inanimate objects, I don't "love" a pair of pliers.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a hater but I'm not going to shop there.
Full disclosure: I bought Kroger on the Amazon/Wholefoods dip.
Now, about that Inbev opportunity Smile

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I don’t shop at Aldi, but I’m curious as to how you heard of this side gossip.

My immediate thought: Fuck them. You had the grace to invite them in your home and share your food- that YOU cooked for them, for God’s sakes. All they have to do is say no if they don’t want it- and I mean decline the invite. If you’re going to accept you should be a good guest and appreciate everything you’re being offered (at least try it).

Another option: suggest they bring their own food, briquets, and grill it themselves.. or make it a potluck style for everyone- that way each can bring something they really want to eat and share out, and they can then avoid what they don’t.

It’ll save you money and time, and perhaps remind them of the effort that goes into the food purchase, preparation and plating.

Then ask who’s hosting the next barbecue Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5330 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've only occasionally been in an Aldi, so I can't speak much to them.

However, if someone at my home bitches about where the steak I'M COOKING FOR THEM came from, they would not be coming back.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I can’t complain about the price or quality. I can’t get everything at one store. I don’t enjoy one stop to shop, a 2nd one to fill the basket is just to big of an ask.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5153 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I’d be shopping for different guests to invite to my next cookout.

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post