SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starting (Brazilian) jiu-jitsu. New Journey. What do I need to know? 2ND UPDATE: Half way to Blue Belt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting (Brazilian) jiu-jitsu. New Journey. What do I need to know? 2ND UPDATE: Half way to Blue Belt Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
So I'm no stranger to Martial Arts. Kempo as a kid for few years. Dabbled in Thai Boxing for around a year. Rolled a few times back then. (18 Years +/- ago)

I've been studying Aikido for about the last 15+ years. After my son was born x5 years ago I gave up my teaching slot on Monday nights. But continued to train 1-2 times a week. Life happens and I slipped to 1 a week. Then my Dojo is moving twice as far away from me. 30 minutes with no traffic. Guess what? In Atlanta there is NEVER "No Traffic".

I've decided to strap on the white belt again and start from scratch on a new journey. I've caught the Jiu-Jitsu bug a little. I'm swinging through a dojo for a class on Monday. I'll look for all the classic things I've told others to look for. Are people having fun. Are people there just to crank & hurt each other. Pedigree of the instructor. Etc.

What would you look for in a new Jiu-Jitsu school?

Here's a link to the instructors Bio for any that are curious : Sifu/Guro Alan Baker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I picked a school and started training about 7 months ago.
My biggest decision points were this:
1) Do they have a solid instructor for the classes you plan to attend? The guy with his name on the window isn't as important as who you will actually be training with.
2) Could I get a good look at the other students? Not just one class but a weeks worth of classes gave me a better feel for who I would be rolling with.
3) Do they offer any 'fundamentals' classes? These dojos are a commercial enterprise so they are mixing higher belts and lower to keep the cash flowing, but a separate time once or twice a week set aside for fundamentals/beginners is a real bonus.
4) depending on your age - I'm a bit older - you may want to look for a place with a few guys who are closer to your age. Not everyone is looking to get into the UFC and wants to crush every opponent every time they roll.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll find that. jui-jitsu is quite similar to aikido.

Aiki-do is more about "the way" than the application, whereas by definition, "jitsu" is all about the application.

In reality, it all depends on who presents it, and how it's received.

Stretch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, we incorporated it into our training style as taught to us by another Federation Master, he trained CIA operatives. I loved it and it flowed with the judo we also incorporated. Lots of joint lock and hand pinning, throwing and follow up with joint locking techniques. Can't say enough about it. My base training started out as Tae Kwon Do and incorporated judo and jiu jitsu. Here's an old photo of one of our night classes. I have the black bottoms on the Gi. You can see the smiles, everyone was having a great time.

Btw, the guy who's pictured is Dennis Palumbo and a link to some of his Bio Dennis Palumbo Jiu- Jitsu Master

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time. Edited title to add BJJ more specifically.

probably 15 years ago I had the pleasure to train with a guy that was maybe 2nd Dan in Aiki-JiuJitsu. I was a white belt. I barely survived. We eventually had to ask him to leave the dojo. Not because of style differences but he just couldn't ratchet it down a notch.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I've been training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 9 years , the best thing to do is go in and observe a class or two and see how things are done. Lineage is also a big factor. The instructor you showed is in the Pedro Sauer lineage...good stuff.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Avoid the gyms that have the motherfuckers who look to beat your ears up.

Keep some blue star ointment on hand.

Are you going Gi/No gi?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just started BJJ myself. I wanted a place with:

1. Both day and evening classes
2. Easy to get to from where I live now and where I will probably be living in a year or so.
3. Basics classes, I am doing this to get in shape and for self defense. I want to attend a Gracie Survival Tactics LEO Instructor class this year.
4. Good instructor, friendly helpful people. I have been to a couple places where every roll is a UFC Death Match.
5 Lineage is important.

Best advice; tap early tap often as getting injured isn't worth it at my age. Change up your home/gym workouts to emphasis the BJJ solo drills and movements. Lots of videos on Youtube to find something that works for you and works the areas that need improvement. I do mostly Kettlebells now (2-3 week) with 1 dumbbell traditional weight lifting session a week. I have a Gold's Gym near where I train now. After BJJ class, I stop at the Gold's Gym, swim some laps and sit in the sauna and whirlpool. It really helps my body recover faster.

I am also planning on doing Aikido; I have two places to try tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Avoid the gyms that have the motherfuckers who look to beat your ears up.

Keep some blue star ointment on hand.

Are you going Gi/No gi?

GI. The do have some No gi but I think they are blue belt & above. Can't remember. But Gi is the short answer.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:
I've been training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 9 years , the best thing to do is go in and observe a class or two and see how things are done. Lineage is also a big factor. The instructor you showed is in the Pedro Sauer lineage...good stuff.

Cool. Good to know on Lineage.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Work on your cardio. BJJ is a smoker.

Bring plenty of water with you.

Have fun.

Be a good training partner.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I did Japanese Ju-Jitsu for ten years. Before BJJ became all the craze.

Made it to purple belt before life got in the way. It took 12+ years to earn black belt on average there.

Shaped my life, and saved it more than once on the street. I keep threatening to start taking BJJ but I work too much.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
.... Lineage is also a big factor. The instructor you showed is in the Pedro Sauer lineage...good stuff.

I agree, Pedro Sauer is solid.

I've only been at it for 3.5 years, but I would also ask if you are going for more pure sport BJJ or if street defense is part of your interest. There really are two different focuses in the early part of the journey, depending on where you go.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
.... Lineage is also a big factor. The instructor you showed is in the Pedro Sauer lineage...good stuff.

I've only been at it for 3.5 years, but I would also ask if you are going for more pure sport BJJ or if street defense is part of your interest. There really are two different focuses in the early part of the journey, depending on where you go.

Good point. We only focus on sport BJJ, but I don't think I would be lacking in taking a fight to the ground and having an advantage without the self defense stuff that a Pedro Sauer affiliate would teach. And, as someone above said, cardio is a BIG thing, however, the best way to improve your cardio for BJJ is more BJJ. Running won't help.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point. We only focus on sport BJJ, but I don't think I would be lacking in taking a fight to the ground and having an advantage without the self defense stuff that a Pedro Sauer affiliate would teach. And, as someone above said, cardio is a BIG thing, however, the best way to improve your cardio for BJJ is more BJJ. Running won't help.

I agree on the cardio. Being in shape for whatever you do requires doing it.

I think you are probably right about the self-defense. I think the biggest difference is early on: the first year or two. After nine years, you are past the moves/techniques and now you "think" in Jiu Jitsu. That was the first thing I noticed about getting to train with and learn from Ryron Gracie after I had been in it for about a year. Watching him solve a question on the spot, I realized he thought in Jiu Jitsu. It was quite a revelation.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree on the cardio. Being in shape for whatever you do requires doing it.

I think you are probably right about the self-defense. I think the biggest difference is early on: the first year or two. After nine years, you are past the moves/techniques and now you "think" in Jiu Jitsu. That was the first thing I noticed about getting to train with and learn from Ryron Gracie after I had been in it for about a year. Watching him solve a question on the spot, I realized he thought in Jiu Jitsu. It was quite a revelation.

I have never really thought about it that way, but yeah, I eat, breath and live BJJ, lol, it's an addiction...the same thing I tell every new white belt.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Well fellas. I'm a few weeks in and decisively engaged. They are a super good crew and zero meat heads there. There are equal number of laughs on the mat as there are taps. I can tell they are a tribe.

On top of it they are a very technical crew. I have A LOT to take in.

EDIT to add: They need work on their ukemi! Big Grin Coming form 15 years of Aikido. I can see at some point I'll be their crash dummy. LOL!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDIT to add: They need work on their ukemi! Coming form 15 years of Aikido. I can see at some point I'll be their crash dummy. LOL!

Well, you have to get to the ground before you can use a ground technique!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
2nd Update:

I'm on the calendar to test for what's essentially my halfway mark to Blue Belt. I'm super excited and starting to settle into the art. Anyone on the fence about Jiu-Jitsu go find a dojo!!