SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fun With Air Tools
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun With Air Tools Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Everyone who's experienced with air compressor tanks probably knows this, but since I'm still learning and others might be, too, I'm posting a couple of recommendations on draining tanks if you can't drain outside or over a floor drain. I tested these last night as noted below before posting this.

When getting ready to drain the water that's built up in your tank, bleed off the air but stop at 5 to maybe 10 PSI instead of going all the way to 0 like I've always done. Since the water collects in the bottom of the tank, the remaining air pressure will blow most of it out when you open the bottom drain. Any remaining should drain out on its own.

In my proactive test last night, that worked like a charm and I was surprised at how much collected water blew out.

Which brings up the second point. For larger tanks or those used for large periods, have a good drain pan to collect the water. For small tanks with low clearance below or those that don't run much, a piece of corrugated cardboard should keep the water (and possible stain) off the floor. Some will soak into the cardboard and the rest should evaporate so the cardboard will dry before it's needed again. Replace the cardboard periodically if it starts deteriorating. If the cardboard doesn't catch it all or doesn't dry fast enough, add spacer runners or blocks below the compressor's legs so a drain pan will fit.

In my reactive test for this part, I found out that water really will blow out and possibly stain the floor if one forgets the drain pan or cardboard but paper towels can be used as a backup. <embarrassed face emoji here>

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Air is dying for sure. I don't even turn on my compressor but maybe a few times per year now.

I use battery powered 1/2" impacts, battery powered tire inflators, battery powered impact drivers, and battery powered ratchets, for just about everything these days.

Some of my less used tools are still air driven, but they barely ever get used.

My old craftsman air tank is about 15 years old at this point. I probably should replace it with a smaller pancake compressor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post