SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retired Military Over 65? I turn 65 this year and have questions. Thanks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retired Military Over 65? I turn 65 this year and have questions. Thanks Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
I turn 65 on September 1st and feel kind of lost. Currently I have Tricare Prime medical coverage and I started drawing Social Security already at age 62.

I know I need to go to the Social Security office and sign up for Medicare Parts A & B 2-4 months before the first of September and Medicare will kick in on the first day of August. I also know I need to convert Tricare Prime (TP) to Tricare For Life (TFL). But I have some question and would greatly appreciate shared experience and advice. Thank you !!!

1) When should I get a new military ID card? Should I get a new ID as soon as I sign up for Medicare A & B, wait until the day I actually turn 65, or some other time?

2) My current PCM is at Lyster Army Health Clinic Fort Rucker (Alabama). After enrolling in Medicare and switching to TFL will I need to find my own PCM somewhere other than on a military post? And if I do need to find my own health provider is there a site that might help find and decide on one? Or will I still be able to use my current PCM at Lister on Fort Rucker?

3) Do I need to update anything in DEERS because of these changes or will that be done automatically when I get a new ID?

4) I know I need to enroll in Medicare and I know where that SSA office is to do it, but what about Tricare? How do I keep things straight with Tricare? I can't find a Tricare office. How will Tricare know to switch me from Tricare Prime to Tricare For Life?

5) What am I not asking, that I need to know or think about? Thanks !!! Smile

Posts: 4730 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Good questions. I'm coming up on 65 in a few years and I've been thinking about the same things. Looking for to any answers you get.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Some more personal info. I'm rated by the VA at 40% disability but haven't even been in contact with the VA since medical screening upon military retirement in 2006. I don't require ongoing care for service related injury. (10% for hearing and 30% for eyesight).

I've only seen my PCM at Lister Ft Rucker, maybe three or four times since retiring 12 years ago. I don't even go out there unless they call me. I've been blessed that my general health has been very good.

Maybe if someone can't answer the questions I have, someone can tell me who I need to go see or call, who can help answer the questions. Thanks !!!

Posts: 4730 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Try this:

TRICARE Office - Patient Representative
TRICARE Office - Patient Representative is located at Dust Off Street, Bldg. 301, Fort Rucker, AL 36362. TRICARE Office - Patient Representative can be reached by their main phone number at (334) 255-7337. The listed DSN line is 312-558-7337. Visit the TRICARE Office - Patient Representative website by clicking here. You may also request contact by clicking here.

https://www.dodhousingnetwork....istance-coordinators

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Try this:

TRICARE Office - Patient Representative
TRICARE Office - Patient Representative is located at Dust Off Street, Bldg. 301, Fort Rucker, AL 36362. TRICARE Office - Patient Representative can be reached by their main phone number at (334) 255-7337. The listed DSN line is 312-558-7337. Visit the TRICARE Office - Patient Representative website by clicking here. You may also request contact by clicking here.

https://www.dodhousingnetwork....istance-coordinators

Thank you !!! Thank you very much Smile

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hobbs:
1) When should I get a new military ID card? Should I get a new ID as soon as I sign up for Medicare A & B, wait until the day I actually turn 65, or some other time?

My DoD ID card expires one month prior to turning 65 (I am 63); I suspect yours is the same. Call your local ID card facility and ask them if it is time.

2) My current PCM is at Lyster Army Health Clinic Fort Rucker (Alabama). After enrolling in Medicare and switching to TFL will I need to find my own PCM somewhere other than on a military post? And if I do need to find my own health provider is there a site that might help find and decide on one? Or will I still be able to use my current PCM at Lister on Fort Rucker?

Speak to the Tricare patient representative.

3) Do I need to update anything in DEERS because of these changes or will that be done automatically when I get a new ID?

Should be done when you renew your ID card; also ask them when you renew.

4) I know I need to enroll in Medicare and I know where that SSA office is to do it, but what about Tricare? How do I keep things straight with Tricare? I can't find a Tricare office. How will Tricare know to switch me from Tricare Prime to Tricare For Life?

Speak to the patient representative.

It might be nice to post the results of your inquiries here to help some of us approaching the same milestone. Thank you.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I am only relating how it went for me. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS GUIDANCE FOR WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

I am retired Navy and 67 years old.

I got an ID card renewed WELL before I turned 60, much less 65. The expiration date on it says "INDEF".

I do not have a military base near enough to make on-base medical care an option.

I retired and went on Social Security at 62.

When I turned 65 I did...nothing. Medicare automatically kicked in, TRICARE automatically converted to TRICARE for Life.

I use Medicare as my primary and TRICARE as my supplemental and prescription coverage. I am not out of pocket for any other coverage and I've never been billed for anything besides the usual minor co-pay for either myself or my wife.

We have had some relatively significant medical expenses.

It was absolutely seamless and painless.

But as noted in my disclaimer, YMMV.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I can concur 100% what PHPAUL stated. Just get your new ID Card on base. BTDT.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I got an ID card renewed WELL before I turned 60, much less 65. The expiration date on it says "INDEF".

Mine also says "INDEF".
The thing is, even though my active duty ID hadn't quite expired, of course I had to get a new blue ID when I retired. They even told me at that time 12 years ago that I would have/need to get a new ID when I turned 65 even though the one they gave me says INDEF.

posted Hide Post
My ID expired the day prior to my 65th birthday.

If I remember, Tri Care Prime did not automatically change to Tri Care for Life, but I could be wrong.

There are a lot of good sources of info on the WWW.

Posts: 7023 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
quote:

Mine also says "INDEF".
The thing is, even though my active duty ID hadn't quite expired, of course I had to get a new blue ID when I retired. They even told me at that time 12 years ago that I would have/need to get a new ID when I turned 65 even though the one they gave me says INDEF.

I'm going from memory here which is always a shakey idea.

I "retired" (technically, transferred to the Inactive Fleet Reserve) in 1990 and got an ID card as part of the separation process. If I recall correctly, when my actual 30 years was up in 1999 and I transitioned from Fleet Reserve to the Retired List, I had to go to the nearest DoD facility and get my retired ID card, which is the one that says "INDEF". I would have been 48 at the time. Nothing was said about needed a new ID card when I turned 65.

I DID get some paperwork from both Social Security/Medicare and DEERS but it basically said that if I wanted to go on Medicare and Tricare for Life I didn't need to do anything, it would happen automatically. The only time I needed to take action is if I wanted to opt for other or expanded coverage.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ops cwo
posted Hide Post
At 65 all military on Prime get shifted to Tricare for life, which is medicare.

Posts: 266 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going from memory here which is always a shakey idea.

I "retired" (technically, transferred to the Inactive Fleet Reserve) in 1990 and got an ID card as part of the separation process. If I recall correctly, when my actual 30 years was up in 1999 and I transitioned from Fleet Reserve to the Retired List, I had to go to the nearest DoD facility and get my retired ID card, which is the one that says "INDEF". I would have been 48 at the time. Nothing was said about needed a new ID card when I turned 65.

I DID get some paperwork from both Social Security/Medicare and DEERS but it basically said that if I wanted to go on Medicare and Tricare for Life I didn't need to do anything, it would happen automatically. The only time I needed to take action is if I wanted to opt for other or expanded coverage.

Awesome, maybe I'll be getting some letters too. Sounds painless. Think I'll try and talk to the folks at the Tricare office on post that olfuzzy pointed me to ... for peace of mind if nothing else.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What PHPaul recounted is basically the same for me. I'm 70 and my ID was INDEF. Had to replace it a few years back with an "improved" one when the local base changed to an "upscale" ID reader at entry points. I use the base for their pharmacy and commissary.

You can check and tweak your DEERS info online. http://www.tricare.mil/DEERS

Signed up for Medicare part B and pay the monthly premium out of my monthly social security benefits.

Enrollment in TFL is automatic; If you are receiving Social Security benefits, you will transition smoothly to TFL upon your 65th birthday. Never have spoken to a TRICARE rep although the local base has them. I thank having TFL every day as it has covered the outrageous costs of chemo drugs now for the last 3+ years. Haven't had to cover any co-pays either with TFL picking up what Medicare doesn't. And no, I don't use the VA at all.

Basically everything has been seamless since day one. Here I'm talking not only health coverage but retirement income (social security, military and civil service). And this month I moved to comply with the IRS mandated minimum 401k (Thrift Savings Plan too) withdrawal. Again smooth with no problems...

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ops cwo:
At 65 all military on Prime get shifted to Tricare for life, which is medicare.

At 65 either TriCare program becomes TriCare For Life, which is free. However, you HAVE to sign up for Medicare Part B, which is about $135/mo. Medicare then becomes the primary payer, TFL is secondary.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retirement cards say "INDEF" on the front but have an expiration date on the BACK.

They expire at 65 --it's a Medicare thing. And, Tricare does not become Medicare at 65, it serves as a supplement to it.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
Retirement cards say "INDEF" on the front but have an expiration date on the BACK.

HA !!! Absolutely correct of course. INDEF on the front of mine and exp date on back is 2018JUL31 ... a month and a day before I turn 65. Thanks !!!

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
My first retirement card said under. It started spliting so I got a new one a couple years back. The new one expires front and back in Jul 2026, if I do my math correctly I'll be 65 then. Well damn, learn something new every day here! My wife's expired recently, she is a cougar, she turns 60 this year.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:

Well, that's embarassing...

I did not realize that, and mine's been expired for 2 years. I guess I should do something about that.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I got this coming later in the year

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post