SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Antonio dining
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Antonio dining Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted
In a few days we’re heading to San Antonio for a long weekend. Schilo’s is always on my list. Where else to dine? This is a family affair limited to the river walk and Lackland AFB. Looking for good food...not touristy. BBQ? TexMex? Stuff we don’t get in New England.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
La Gloria

Several in The Pearl

The Granary Que and Brew

Boudreaux's

The Cove

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Riverwalk is all touristy, isn’t it?

The Barn Door http://www.thebarndoorrestaurant.com/home does a pretty good job, not sure if it is unique enough.

Pappadeaux https://pappadeaux.com/home/ is seafood, not unknown in New England, but super popular. No reservations, long waits and that is just for a parking spot.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I always stop at Pappasito's when I'm in Texas.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Are you going for an Air Force Basic graduation? If so your new Airman will be restricted to locations inside the 1604 loop.

Rudy's on 151 serves great barbecue. It is no frills and fast service and great for large groups. A bit away from Lackland so not so much of a crush on graduation day.

The Riverwalk is all touristy but there are a lot of good restaurants there. There is a Saltgrass on the Riverwalk and they never disappoint. Other good ones there as well.

The Colonial Room in the Menger hotel on the Riverwalk is another great restaurant. They are well known for an excellent Sunday Brunch.

The 1718 Steak House Restaurant is across the street from the Alamo. A little pricey but you are right in view of the Alamo.

Whichever you choose call ahead and make a reservation for your group NOW. Those restaurants are going to be slammed on graduation day with all the families in town

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boudreaux's is in the tourist area of the Riverwalk but it is good.

The Granary is not on the river but just off it.

La Gloria is at the Pearl, on the North end of the river. There are several places in The Pearl that are very good.

You can also head to South Town. Many "foodie" places there.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
The Little Red Barn Steakhouse near I-10 and I-37 is actually pretty good. Not the greatest area and it’s kind of kitschy, but remember going there in college for a great lunch at a reasonable price.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
+100 on Schilo’s, by the way. My wife and I discovered it on our honeymoon in San Antonio back in ‘87, and we go there every time we travel to that area.

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Are you going for an Air Force Basic graduation? If so your new Airman will be restricted to locations inside the 1604 loop.

Yeah. We have a copy of the general orders. Poor kid is on a short leash but the rest of us will be out and about when he heads back to base.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Don't discount the Riverwalk as just touristy. There are a number of very good eateries there. I can't remember the names of the ones I enjoyed but if you like Tex-Mex food there are a few excellent choices.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Tommys. The BEST Texmex food north of the Rio Grande Valley.

Doesn't look like much, but the food is authentic and amazingly good (and my hispanic wife from the RGV agrees with this assessment).

IIRC, there are 3 Tommys in San Anton. I've only been to the one on Heubner/I-10.

Mamacitas has great atmosphere, but marginal food.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Southerleigh @ The Pearl and don't miss the opportunity for a couple of cocktails @ The Hotel Emma Bar next door. Two terrific experiences in SA.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Salsalitos...14535 Nacogdoches Rd.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

Yeah. We have a copy of the general orders. Poor kid is on a short leash but the rest of us will be out and about when he heads back to base.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Also look at restaurants at The Quarry. If you range further out the BBQ at Harmon's in Ciblo near Randolph AFB is some of the best.

My congratulations to your new Airman, welcome to my Air Force!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Can’t go wrong with County Line BBQ on the River Walk for outstanding BBQ.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Can’t go wrong with County Line BBQ on the River Walk for outstanding BBQ.

If that's the same County Line BBQ that is in Austin, I'd give it a +1. Good stuff.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone. I’ve made a list with all your suggestions on a map.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
My congratulations to your new Airman, welcome to my Air Force!

Thanks, HG. Between the Army, Navy, and Air Force experiences of his grandfathers and uncle he chose AF. After next weekend he heads to Shepard in Withita Falls for the next phase. He aimed high so he’s got a tough road ahead of him.

I just don’t understand this abstinence thing with the military today. I got two solid days of drinking after boot camp.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
LATE seeing this but I can recommend El Mirador for traditional Mexican food. A nice place with very good food.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
River walk is for sure a tourist thing, but hey, you'll be a tourist and it's worthwhile to spend a couple of hours strolling along the hmmm river, or take the little boat ride. Have a Margarita, cold beer or ice tea in one of the many places to do so. The nice thing is you can bail in short order if it's not your thing. No entrance fee or such.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post