SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3 Month gap between current house closing and new house closing - best way to handle mail/change of address
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Month gap between current house closing and new house closing - best way to handle mail/change of address Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I'm sure others have had something like this.

Selling current home, closing on 8/7.

Won't be closing on new home until end of October.

Will be living in a rental for that 3 month period.

How to avoid having to change address twice in a 3 month period when it typically takes 6 months or longer to sort it all out after one change?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you do a po box?

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hold for pick-up at Post Office?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PO box would be the least hassle. No problem with forwarding your mail for that amount of time. You do not want to wait in line at the post office.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I will check out both the PO Box and Hold options at the Post Office - I'm sure one of those options will work...Thanks for the suggestions!

Now, how much pizza and beer would it take to have a SigForum moving party??? Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting the p o box worked excellent, not very costly either. Good luck.

Crickets on the moving party. Smile

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I will check out both the PO Box and Hold options at the Post Office - I'm sure one of those options will work...Thanks for the suggestions!

Now, how much pizza and beer would it take to have a SigForum moving party??? Big Grin

The PO is a good option.

If you're moving near the NRV, I could likely be available to help carry things.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Don't do a PO Box.

Get a UPS Store box. They'll do mail, FedEx, UPS, LaserShip, Amazon, etc. And they're often way more dependable and friendly than the post office.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the Hold option and mixed-to-terrible luck with temporary forwarding.

I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall it was a 30day Vacation Hold option I had to renew.

But it's been years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I agree to not use a PO Box. A PO Box will only accept USPS packages and nothing from FedEx or UPS. But I also don’t use UPS stores.

I have had a mailbox at a mailbox store for about 15 years and always choose a locally owned mom and pop over a UPS store. The prices are generally much better and I’m upfront that I’ll be getting ammunition so that when a box with the orm-d sticker comes in there’s no issue. I like knowing who will be working the desk when I get stuff in instead of some flunky working for a major corporation that is afraid of corporate rules. For instance I recently went to a FedEx office with a P365 magazine and the guy refused to ship it because he couldn’t get a manager on the phone and he thought it was illegal to ship. Plus I might have a bunch of packages come in and sit for a week or so. I send over a couple pizzas for lunch every few months so the owner doesn’t get too salty about sitting on large heavy boxes for me.

Check for a locally owned place.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would forwarding (not changing address with everyone) to temporary address until you have the new permanent address work? Once you have the new address change the forward to it and then also do all your formal address changes with bills etc...

Posts: 1967 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I go on vacation, I just put a hold on pickup. Then change as needed.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I lived in a very small town, at one time. And had a PO Box - no rural mail service.

At least in that town, the post office said UPS and FedEx packages would be received. Just to put the address of the post office down, and our box number.

Not sure if other post offices work that way, or if it’s just for very rural areas.

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I agree to not use a PO Box. A PO Box will only accept USPS packages and nothing from FedEx or UPS. But I also don’t use UPS stores.

I have had a mailbox at a mailbox store for about 15 years and always choose a locally owned mom and pop over a UPS store. The prices are generally much better and I’m upfront that I’ll be getting ammunition so that when a box with the orm-d sticker comes in there’s no issue. I like knowing who will be working the desk when I get stuff in instead of some flunky working for a major corporation that is afraid of corporate rules. For instance I recently went to a FedEx office with a P365 magazine and the guy refused to ship it because he couldn’t get a manager on the phone and he thought it was illegal to ship. Plus I might have a bunch of packages come in and sit for a week or so. I send over a couple pizzas for lunch every few months so the owner doesn’t get too salty about sitting on large heavy boxes for me.

Check for a locally owned place.

This is fair. My UPS Stores were franchised mom and pop shops and I knew the owners. But independent shipping stores are often also excellent.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Would forwarding (not changing address with everyone) to temporary address until you have the new permanent address work? Once you have the new address change the forward to it and then also do all your formal address changes with bills etc...

This is what I would do.

Posts: 10988 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to what I outlined above we have used another one of the newer USPS services. Think it's called "Informed Delivery" . My wife signed up for it on their site. Now we get a daily email which has a photo of each item of mail that will be delivered that day. It has actually come in very handy when we are travelling. Basically it's a reminder that you have a bill that you can either lookup and pay online or the photo is good enough that we have been able to see the water bill from the information in the photo.
I'm not sure it catches 100% of the mail but we have had pretty good luck with it for the 4 months that we have been on it. Pretty sure it's a free service as well.

Posts: 1967 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post