SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cost of keeping schools "safe"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of keeping schools "safe" Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
Just saw a segment on the nightly news of what schools are doing to "protect" against armed threats.

The first one was an extinguisher sized pepper spray. They called it "Threat Extinguisher." They were showing teachers practicing with water aimed at a cutout. What caught my attention was when they said it was $1500 each! At that rate, I figure you can get a gun, ammo and equipment for $500 and $1000 worth of training.

They showed other measures like one school bought several bullet proof safe rooms to put children in at $200,000 each. The stupidest item was portable bullet proof whiteboards that were like maybe 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' square with handles that the teacher was supposed to scrunch up behind. Wow.

There's the link to the Threat Extinguisher.

ETA: I had to google the white board. I was wrong; it's not 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' board; it's 18" x 20"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nah, give em a piece and teach em how to use it.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
They could at least paint the whiteboard to look like a Captain America shield for that price.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, reasonable things like classroom doors that you don't have to go out into the hallway to lock, window reinforcement lamination film so that the school's windows can't be smashed/shot out as easily, or electronic buzzers and key fob systems so that all exterior doors can be locked at all times, cost pennies on the dollar compared to these overpriced and overhyped gimmicks.

Yet many schools still lack basic safety precautions like that.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How close do you have to be to an armed gunman to use the extinguisher?

I'm guessing the white board is not going to be too helpful for rifle rounds. Nor handgun rounds in the leg....

People need to learn - singular defense doesn't cut it here. A compelling offensive is indicated here. You need to STOP the threat, not just hide from it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Meanwhile, reasonable things like classroom doors that you don't have to go out into the hallway to lock, window reinforcement lamination film so that the school's windows can't be smashed/shot out as easily, or electronic buzzers and key fob systems so that all exterior doors can be locked at all times, cost pennies on the dollar compared to these overpriced and overhyped gimmicks.

Yup.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Yup.

I don’t know about the reinforced windows, but our kids’ school has a really simple fix for the door locking. The doors are ALWAYS locked. They use a little rubber sliding “lock blok” on the inside of the door that prevents the door from completely closing and locking when extended. It is easy pushed in from inside, probably don’t even need to move the door, the the door closes completely and latches, and it is already locked.

https://doorblok.com/lockblok.html

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Both are better than the silly idea of issuing hockey pucks to students and staff to throw at a shooter.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
One idea I like is the Stop the Bleed campaign. It won't stop anything but at least it is something practical in teaching basic first aid and management of traumatic injuries until first responders arrive.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How close do you have to be to an armed gunman to use the extinguisher?

Gas masks are pretty cheap, this is useless as hockey pucks.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Our school system is installing what is basically a giant deadbolt in all classroom doors. It consists of a pedal-activated piston on the bottom of the door which goes into a hole drilled into the concrete floor. Once engaged the door is virtually impossible to open from the outside.

To speed things along they even had a fundraiser so parents could “sponsor” a classroom. It was pretty successful.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
armed officer at every school during school hours

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our school system is installing what is basically a giant deadbolt in all classroom doors. It consists of a pedal-activated piston on the bottom of the door which goes into a hole drilled into the concrete floor. Once engaged the door is virtually impossible to open from the outside.

They have very simple technology that already exists that would handle every aspect of this problem. All you need is a door that locks when closed, a fire alarm, and a magnetic hold attached to the fire alarm. You typically see this already in schools, just not on the classroom doors.

An alarm is pulled, the magnets release the doors, and the doors close and lock. A single person could close and lock every single door in a school.

The doors can still be opened from within should anybody else need to be allowed in. They would need to adjust how they react to fire alarms though. Instead of hearing the alarm and immediately attempting to depart the building they would need to sit tight, wait for somebody to verify an evacuation is warranted, and then be given instructions to evacuate. Otherwise bad guys will just pull the alarm (or start a small fire) to get everybody to run out into the hallways.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.threatextinguisher.com/packages/

Price gouge much ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The truth is the left throws their hands up and say "You can't stop EVERYTHING by doing XYZ, so do nothing". Because a determined attacker can defeat many countermeasures IF they want to.

But the goal of hardening security, better doors / windows, visible police & security presence it making it harder for potential attackers. Just like you make your house difficult for robbers - not only to defend against it, but to make it an UNAPPEALING TARGET to potential criminals.

Same with a school. There is no 'perfect fix', no 'one size fits all'. But a well thought out security structure, coupled with an active and involved school community (teachers, parents, students, police, security) can and will dissuade / thwart a large percentage of potential threats.

You can look to Parkland and the ineffectiveness of just an armed cop and unarmed security at a school. Security ran away and the first cops sat around while the murders occurred.

posted Hide Post
I always thought about those metal pull down gates like a store would have. You have the gates through out the school and you can lock down sections as needed.

Then have inflatable window slides (like an airplane) where you can evacuate above ground floors.

This is in addition to a secure exterior doors. If the shooter is already inside the school its about minimizing further casualties.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m a former high school teacher. You can spot these troubled kids from a mile away. I’m all for giving teachers guns and whatever, but in reality, you can tell who these fucked up kids are waaaaaaay before they ever decide to do their thing.

They’re kids. You’re the adult. As a teacher, you can take proactive steps to handle the threat before it even happens...if the administration supports you.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
It's true a shooter can wear a gas mask, but I do see smoke bombs and bear spray as a great start. Bear spray on the lens of a gas mask would cause some serious visibility issues.

They can always wear body armor, so a gun isn't a guarantee either. Step one is to accept that we need our teachers and students to fight back until the police can arrive. we can argue forever about what is the best/safest/right way to fight back, but let's start with the mindset that our kids and teachers aren't fish in a barrel waiting to get shot.

Smoke bombs and bear spray on a son of a bitch is a decent defense to start with and there's no excuse not to give those tools to our educators and students.

There are a lot of great ideas that can be implemented in this thread. I'd love to see folks in schools get off their asses and get things mentioned in here in place.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our middle school used to be pretty open, but in the years between kids they locked it down pretty tight. Two entryways are open and monitored as kids are arriving, but as soon as the buses / cars are gone, big steel grated doors are swung shut and locked. The only entryway is now an 'airlock' of sorts - you walk into the first part with a welcome window but the second part is locked until you are buzzed through. School security / SRO is around - not far away. There is also a decent walk from the parking area to this entryway, giving good opportunity to spot someone who is 'not quite right'.

I'm sure more can be done but some of these schools are an absolute joke.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
It's true a shooter can wear a gas mask, but I do see smoke bombs and bear spray as a great start. Bear spray on the lens of a gas mask would cause some serious visibility issues.

They can always wear body armor, so a gun isn't a guarantee either. Step one is to accept that we need our teachers and students to fight back until the police can arrive. we can argue forever about what is the best/safest/right way to fight back, but let's start with the mindset that our kids and teachers aren't fish in a barrel waiting to get shot.

Smoke bombs and bear spray on a son of a bitch is a decent defense to start with and there's no excuse not to give those tools to our educators and students.

There are a lot of great ideas that can be implemented in this thread. I'd love to see folks in schools get off their asses and get things mentioned in here in place.
Just so I'm totally clear here, you're advocating for students or teachers to attempt to approach a shooter to tray and get close enough to spray them with Bear Spray? I think I'd advocate for ways to limit a potential shooters access to the school/kids/teachers rather than sending them into harm's way with an aerosol can.

This whole issue is really comical when you put any real thought into it. There are simple, cost effective ways to fortify schools against crazies. Of course legislatures could also get rid of the PC BS that protects the crazies from being dealt with 'before' they start shooting. Unfortunately, since politicians don't function with any measure of common sense, and have a huge lack of anything approaching a spine, they'll never figure it out, while more and more kids get shot.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post