SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiking Boots?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking Boots? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I have worn Hiking Boots as my main footwear for years. Mostly I've worn Timberland Euro-hikers. but for the last several years, the quality has steadily decreased. Now they hardly last me 4-5 months.

I need a hiking boot with a rubber sole, that is mid-ankle. What do you guys and gals like?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I like my Keens, I wear the non waterproof ones, pretty indestructible and great wide toe box, if you duck feet like me.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Meindel boots, the ones from Europe not Asia http://www.cabelas.com/product...4bw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.llbean.com/llb/sho...resta-hikers-leather

These have worked for me,but I only wear them while hiking with a back pack. LL bean stands by their product.

Posts: 12729 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I have worn Hiking Boots as my main footwear for years. Mostly I've worn Timberland Euro-hikers. but for the last several years, the quality has steadily decreased. Now they hardly last me 4-5 months.

I need a hiking boot with a rubber sole, that is mid-ankle. What do you guys and gals like?

What size do you wear?

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5170 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Buy an European or American made boot Rolan. I like Zamberlan. Also, Scarpa, Hanwag, Kenetrek, Lowa. There are others.

You won't be sorry.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
What size do you wear?

BMR,
9½ Wide

Rolan

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can grow your feet to an 11D, I'll give you my Timberland Eurohikers, 20 years old, and worn only a handful of times. Smile

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5170 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like my Keen's. They fit my feet the best with the wide toe box.

Used to wear Vasgue but after lots of hiking I found Keens fit me better.

There are some good brands out there. They don't all fit the same. The trick is finding what works for you.

BTW Keens run small you will need a 1/2 size larger then what you wear in most other things.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Danner high ground are awesome. Under armour hiking boots are super comfortable if you want something more athletic in nature.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merrell MOAB Mid/Full

Solomon Quest 4D

Asolo Fugitive

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Buy an European or American made boot Rolan. I like Zamberlan. Also, Scarpa, Hanwag, Kenetrek, Lowa. There are others.

You won't be sorry.

I like your list. The best made, most durable, most comfortable boots I have had are Zamberlan, Scarpa, and Hanwag. I haven't had Kenetrek or Lowa but have heard good things.

Hanwag does some cool stuff, I have a pair of their insulated winter boots that use rubber with finely ground glass in it for the soles. It is too fine to feel or to scratch floors but it still gives surprisingly good grip on ice.

They generally don't fit my feet, but I'd add La Sportiva to the list. Besides hiking and mountaineering boots, they also make some of the best rock climbing shoes.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I currently have a pair of Lowas that are really good

The new Scarpas that were a joint venture with Kuiu have sparked my interest. But my Lowas are going strong so I can't justify dropping the coin.
http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-bo...gid=footwear#start=1

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25437 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed my Dunham Clouds. They are lightweight, but seem to be wearing well.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Zamberlan for me.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Merril or keen for me.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
You can't go too wrong with Lowas. I wear Lowa Zephyrs much of the year on a day to day basis, and love them. They wear very well and are extremely comfortable.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Once I realized Lowa had my feet in mind as they decided the parameters for my size I've not been tempted to stray, but I understand Meindel are top notch as well.

In the end, quality of construction and how they fit one's particlur foot shape determine what's the best shoe.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Danners. The Acadia and Recons are shorter on the ankle, and they can be resoled.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17294 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Merrell, Vasque, and Danner are all quality boots.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post