SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "As Magnet Fishing Booms, More Guns Are Being Pulled from America’s Waters. Can Magnet Fishers Legally Keep Them?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"As Magnet Fishing Booms, More Guns Are Being Pulled from America’s Waters. Can Magnet Fishers Legally Keep Them?" Login/Join 
posted
As Magnet Fishing Booms, More Guns Are Being Pulled from America’s Waters. Can Magnet Fishers Legally Keep Them?

The answer is more complicated than you might expect

BY KATIE HILL | PUBLISHED DEC 12, 2022 4:52 PM

The list of reasons why someone might toss a gun in a river is pretty short. But the list of reasons why Bryce Nachtwey throws magnets tied to rope into America’s waters is even shorter: finding unclaimed property is really cool.

If you don’t believe me, take a dive into magnet fishing YouTube and feel the hours disappear. Enthusiastic treasure hunters pace back and forth on bridges and cast shiny hockey puck-sized magnets into murky depths, pulling in bike parts, railroad spikes, jewelry, coins, and, yes, firearms. Nachtwey’s YouTube channel, Outdoors Weekly, features long, energetic videos of his exploits for his 626,000 subscribers.

It’s a rare video when Nachtwey doesn’t pull a gun or two out of the water. He recently hauled six handguns out of a river in Louisiana, three of which were zipped in a bank deposit bag. But that doesn’t make Nachtwey uniquely good at this hobby. For magnet fishers across America—a fast-growing group—guns are among the most common type of catch. But even though they’re seemingly ubiquitous, they aren’t treated as such. In fact, the pistols, rifles, and shotguns are usually the headlining finds of magnet fishing content...

Complete article with photos and a video:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/co...ishing-keeping-guns/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean….would you really want to keep said gun????

Even if we put aside the possible to likely legal implications of why a firearm disposed of in this manner would make me not want it , you still likely have a rusty piece of crap at that point. I mean if I’m fighting skynet and that’s all that’s left maybe. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm not surprised that a lot of guns are being found. I've been hearing people tell me for years that they "lost all of their guns in a boating accident". Who knew?

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coins? Lots of ferrous coins out there?

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Isn't this mostly a big so what? After just a few months in water, many will be pretty seriously damaged.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I saw it on YouTube so it must be true.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Similarly, I doubt there's much ferrous jewelry floating around out there...

I mean, I know it exists, since I had a stainless steel wedding band because I knew I would only be wearing the metal wedding band a few times per year. But it's not common, and considering that only cost me like $30 brand new, I doubt there'd be any value beyond scrap in any corroded steel jewelry dredged up from the bottom of a river.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe contained in a metal box?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I mean, I know it exists, since I had a stainless steel wedding band because I knew I would only be wearing the metal wedding band a few times per year. But it's not common, and considering that only cost me like $30 brand new, I doubt there'd be any value beyond scrap in any corroded steel jewelry dredged up from the bottom of a river.

Not all stainless steel is magnetic.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't know, seems I've seen Wiley Coyote fish up some pretty neat stuff with his Acme brand horseshoe magnet.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
So what happens when your magnet lands on a submerged 50 gallon drum and you have no hope of pulling it in? Cut your line and kiss your magnet goodbye? Your just leaving more junk in the water. Or do these guys bring a winch or something?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'd never find this with a magnet: Lake Washington on Labor Day weekend in 2012.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
So what happens when your magnet lands on a submerged 50 gallon drum and you have no hope of pulling it in? Cut your line and kiss your magnet goodbye? Your just leaving more junk in the water. Or do these guys bring a winch or something?

Most of the ones I've seen have a winch or come-a-long rated stronger than the magnet.
500# magnet? 1,000# winch. You'll also see them move side to side in an effort to either free the object or dislodge the magnet.

In the videos I've seen, only one had to cut line (and they sent out a diver to investigate and cut the remaining line)

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My brother lives on the Elizebeth River just a few miles from Portsmouth. I’ve wanted to go magnet fishing near the many bridges we paddle under in his canoe. He outfitted an old aluminum canoe it with a big marine battery and trolling motor. It’s surprisingly fast and thanks to its shallow draft it can paddle in places you’re never going to get a boat.

Just magnet fishing his shoreline has yielded 3 zippo lighters, 2 rusty knives and lots of rusty bits of metal.

I lost a Glock knife off his dock in 2012. I REALLY would like to recover that knife and see how the finish has stood up to years of brackish water and mud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I nust say I don’t really see the appeal of finding rusty junk. That guy in the link looks so happy to be holding a handful of completely useless guns. What’s the next step? The garbage can?

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Not all stainless steel is magnetic.

Yeah and I suspect a wedding band of SS would be 316 or better. Won't be picked up by a magnet.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"Dad, Why did you toss that one back again?"

"Son, it was only a Taurus."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ah, ok. So we're not talking about ferrous fish. Got it.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I assumed these guys would be using an electrically switched magnet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post