SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to Boy Scouts for Son
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to Boy Scouts for Son Login/Join 
posted
Our son will be old enough to join his school's scout organization next year, but with all the changes since I was a scout we're not sure we want to.

Has anyone found another program they like? It looks like a church near us has a Trail Life group. I just started reading up on them. Does anyone have first-hand experience?

Any others that are out there?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My son is in his third year of scouts, and his den is extremely active doing all of the same things years ago when I was in scouts. His mother (and several others) make it what it is.

Despite all of the spoken negativity, I haven't seen a single thing that would discourage me. I suppose my point is to rely less on what is spoken about the whole, and perhaps focus on what's happening locally.

I know the biggest issue seems to be the girls, and I actually think that it's great. There are a lot of girls who wanted to be able to do what the Boy Scouts did activity wise. I can't blame them. That is also a local thing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I agree with Frank (a1abdj). My boys are in second and third grade and have been in Scouts since kindergarten (Lions). Last year I was the den leader for both Tigers and Wolves. I am only the Wolf den leader this year as it was too much work doing 2 dens and everything else. I am also the Pack Treasurer and Popcorn kernel (colonel). My frustration is that I cant get the parents to volunteer to do hardly anything, other than the other den leaders.

The national council, and the district for the matter, have very little say in what we do as a Pack. It's all locally driven. Our central committee (den leaders) make all of the decisions regarding what we do as a Pack or Den.

My advice is to get involved and bring ideas on what to do. I am big on popcorn selling as it really helps to have money to do things. Our Pack of 45 boys raised $16,000 last year (we get about 30%). 5 boys raised $10,000 and the other 40 kids raised a total of $5,000. When I say the boys raised it, it's really the parents as the boys are too young to organize that type of fundraising.

ETA: Are we talking Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts? Kids can join Scouts in Kindergarten, that's why I ask.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
We're going to try Trail Life this spring. I got connected with a troop. Hopefully it will work out well. I plan on being there for everything.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I participated in the Boys Ministry of the Assemblies of God (evangelical denomination) churches called Royal Rangers.

It was, of course, modeled on the Boy Scouts. It has changed in the 20+ years since I was active, but it is still a pretty large organization emphasizing the same teachings with a more obvious Gospel slant.

There are some 220 AG churches in Michigan including 3 in Ypsilanti and another 4 in Ann Arbor. You may reach out to them and see if they have active Royal Rangers outposts.

http://www.aogmi.org/uploads/C012920.pdf

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Another option is a local Civil Air Patrol group. Our Son joined at 12(min age) and learned much from the experience.

Units are scattered around, quality of the various squadrons can vary a good bit.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Around how old is he.
When I lived in N.J. several volunteer fire departments had jr firefighter programs.
Our town also had a Police explorer program.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
check out CAP

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53221 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would look at the troop. Scouting at the local level is still what we had as kids. It's all about the troop and the local leadership.

Don't worry so much about what is making the national news.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
A 3rd for checking out Civil Air Patrol...

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
https://www.awana.org/

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2210 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I would look at the troop. Scouting at the local level is still what we had as kids. It's all about the troop and the local leadership.

Don't worry so much about what is making the national news.

This! You can attend a few meetings and check out the leadership for yourself. And don't fall into the false sense of security that a church based organization or any other for that matter will be devoid of the problems that's raising your concern.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's 5, but was an August birthday so he's in the young 5's class so he didn't qualify to join this year. He'll be able to join next year into scouts or Trail Life.

I've joined the mailing list for the troop at his school, and so far I'm not impressed, hence the search for alternatives. I took this along with the news on them I've read elsewhere as a bad sign.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Tiger Cubs starts with first graders and when I was a den leader around 30 years ago the parents came to the meetings. When the boys become Cub Scouts the parents just dropped them off. It's a socializing thing at that age. Expose them to different little projects and crafts. They still may learn some skills that they can use the rest of their lives.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
No one yet has mentioned it, but the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has declared bankruptcy. Now, this doesn't mean that the organization is going out of business, but it certainly means its operations are going to be curtailed.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone on here, your experience depends on the Pack. Parent involvement is big in cub scouts. Our son is a Wolf (2nd grade), he started out last year when he was at a different school and the Pack is associated with the school he is in now. As I hoped, it worked great to help him meet a few new friends before transferring schools. The Den leader's son is in his class and all the other 4 or so kids in his Den go there.

We have a daughter who is in Kindergarten, she has interests in both Cub Scouts or Girl Scouts. It would be convenient for ME if she was in Cub Scouts, but there is not a single girl in our Pack. There was one in our Den for a couple months, her brother was already in it, she dropped out and joined girl scouts. I just don't think it would be the only girl and I think BSA is still trying to figure out how to implement it.

I'm an Eagle Scout and am having a blast reliving my Cub Scout years. Every year all 3 of us do Pinewood Derby cars, mine is in the adult category and our daughter's is in the sibling category.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
My son is in his third year of scouts, and his den is extremely active doing all of the same things years ago when I was in scouts. His mother (and several others) make it what it is.

Despite all of the spoken negativity, I haven't seen a single thing that would discourage me. I suppose my point is to rely less on what is spoken about the whole, and perhaps focus on what's happening locally.

I know the biggest issue seems to be the girls, and I actually think that it's great. There are a lot of girls who wanted to be able to do what the Boy Scouts did activity wise. I can't blame them. That is also a local thing.

I was my son's Tiger Den leader 2 years ago and hope to get involved again when I get off the road.

I would agree what was posted above, the local pack is really what counts....and from what I saw and experienced it was very much the same I experience 35 years ago.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
No one yet has mentioned it, but the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has declared bankruptcy. Now, this doesn't mean that the organization is going out of business, but it certainly means its operations are going to be curtailed.

I don't really see how this is true. 100% of the activities for our Pack are planned and paid for at the Pack level. The BSA national organization give us zero support except for Boys Life magazine. We do go to some camp-outs and activities over the summer, but those are owned and operated by the Denver council, not the national council.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Civil Air Patrol.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Civil Air Patrol. If there are different squadrons in your area, visit them all. Each squadron has a different "personality."

You want a "composite" squadron, which is adults and cadets.

Willow Run Composite Squadron is near you at the Willow Run Airport. They are having an information meeting on March 3 at 6:30 pm.

https://www.facebook.com/CAP260/

http://www.mi260.miwg.cap.gov/

email me if you have general questions. I'm our squadron recruiting officer

Here's as good a place as any to start reading https://www.gocivilairpatrol.c...grams/cadets/library

Disclosure: Grandson (now 14) and I have been members for past 2 years.

Posts: 4013 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post