SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DC Air compressors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Air compressors? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I have a chance to pick up an Oasis OASIS XD400C tanked compressor for pretty cheap. It's 24V continuous duty.

They seem very expensive when new, like 2k. What are these used for? Can it be used as a shop compressor? You obviously can't plug it into a wall. Specs seem to be all over the place for these. It has what appears to be a 30-40 gallon tank on it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that thing would suck down the amps. Purchasing a power supply to convert your 110/220 volts AC to the 24 VDC you need would be a costly move.

Posts: 1576 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
I would imagine that thing would suck down the amps. Purchasing a power supply to convert your 110/220 volts AC to the 24 VDC you need would be a costly move.

That falls in line with what I was thinking. What is the practical application of something like this?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd pass even if free. Your options to power it are very limited. An inverter that can convert 220vac household current to 24vdc current with adequate amperage capacity, if one is even made, will be costly. Two 12v auto batteries hooked in series (+ of one to - of the other with some hefty cabling) could work, but I don't see a charge lasting long. Batteries in series only have the capacity of one battery. By the time you get through with all this you could buy a whole new compressor.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
That falls in line with what I was thinking. What is the practical application of something like this?

Off-roading, where the tires are aired down before, and the compressor for airing back up before hitting the road. Another option is going to a dive shop and buying a large scuba tank for airing up.

I put a DC compressor on the FJ-40 I rebuilt about 12 years ago. It was made in Australia. They are not cheap, and yes, 100 amps is not unusual. The one I installed had a 90 amp fuse. Together with that, you will need a high output alternator.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It wouldn’t be that expensive to power. A military surplus 24v alternator from any vehicle driven by an inexpensive 120v AC motor wouldn’t break the bank. I’d probably buffer it with a couple 12v batteries in series.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8277 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post