SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are regional Scotch types pretty similar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are regional Scotch types pretty similar? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
So far I’ve found Macallan and Glenlivet to be really good. Pretty much my favorite hard liquors ever. Are most Speyside single malts similar?

I have also found I hate Bowmore, an Islay. I would prefer to avoid buying anything like it. Are the Islay varieties mostly peaty, smoky ones?

These are hard to sample and I don’t go through them quickly. I’d like to avoid buying full bottles that no one will ever touch.

Thanks.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There are definitely overall regional styles with many more-or-less similar Scotches produced in each region, but there are also exceptions.

E.g., Islays ARE almost all at the very smoky/peaty end of the spectrum, but Bunnahabhain is an Islay that is not smoky/peaty at all.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes... the regions are similar.

Islay tend to be heavy peat, smokey, can have a hint of salt

Speyside tends to be light and grassy

Highlands: some smoke with hints of fruit

Lowlands: light and floral

Cambeltown: can't comment.

This is notes from my personal tasting notes. I tend to drink mostly Islay as I enjoy the heavy peat. My collection of whisky is mostly comprised of the heavy varieties.

If you like Speysides… try Balvenie and Aberlour.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 864 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ralfydotcom channel on Youtube would probably be helpful to you. Hundreds of reviews of Scotches and other whiskys.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
The ralfydotcom channel on Youtube would probably be helpful to you. Hundreds of reviews of Scotches and other whiskies.

Now that's a guy who gets to the point on YouTube, love him.

Posts: 22954 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post