SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replace lost passport help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace lost passport help Login/Join 
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted
My 17 year old son is going on a trip in about 6 weeks and we cannot find his passport. I am looking for advice on the most efficient way to obtain a replacement in terms of quickness, expense, and reliability. I've seen some websites which advertise this service but have no idea how reputable they are.

Thanks in advance from a stressed out Dad.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We received ours (new to us) through the regular channels in 4 weeks. That was 15 months ago. Not sure what the wait is today. Also, not sure what is involved in replacing an existing passport.

As much as people bitch about the USPS, it went very smooth for us.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got mine in a few. If you pay more you will get it faster.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link. It will cost you but you can get same day service.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Got mine in a few. If you pay more you will get it faster.

Where did you go to get it?

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
He should have no issues getting a new one in 6-weeks. That is the current turn around time for renewal. I just renewed mine and the new one arrived today. Less than 4 weeks door to door.

He need to get the paperwork submitted early next week though and do expedited service to be safe.

Anyway I would call 1-877-487-2778 and talk to them. I've talked to the passport center before and they were very helpful. They should be able to go over all the steps you need to take and point you to all the forms you need to fill out.

BTW he will need to report his current passport as missing before he can get a new one. There is an online forum but I would also print that forum and include it with the application for another.

https://travel.state.gov/conte...-apply/agencies.html

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
He should have no issues getting a new one in 6-weeks. That is the current turn around time for renewal. I just renewed mine and the new one arrived today. Less than 4 weeks door to door.

He need to get the paperwork submitted early next week though and do expedited service to be safe.

Anyway I would call 1-877-487-2778 and talk to them. I've talked to the passport center before and they were very helpful. They should be able to go over all the steps you need to take and point you to all the forms you need to fill out.

BTW he will need to report his current passport as missing before he can get a new one. There is an online forum but I would also print that forum and include it with the application for another.

https://travel.state.gov/conte...-apply/agencies.html

Great info! Thank you!

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If he's going somewhere you've invested in, pay for expedited.

And expect to find his old one a week from now. If you let a teenager have control of it at any time, think of this as a penalty payment!

We collect our passports at immigration when the kids were on our dime.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Passport should be in the parent's possession until he turns 18. Unless of course he's traveling alone.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Passport should be in the parent's possession until he turns 18. Unless of course he's traveling alone.

I got my passport at 15, it was always kept in my dresser drawer.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
All ours are kept under lock and key.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Link. It will cost you but you can get same day service.
Only applies for foreign travel in less than 2 weeks (Visa in less than 4 weeks), but OP's son is traveling in 6 weeks.

I renewed my passport this way in Houston while I was living in Canada. They checked my airline ticket.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
call the passport office - you can get expedited processing. I got mine in 3 days.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
All ours are kept under lock and key.

Yeah, so are ours generally; but he used his for a school trip to Canada and I forgot to get it back from him immediately upon his return. Now it's lost. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa, but I still need to get him a replacement passport.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I just got my passport book by mail in less than 2 weeks total from the time I mailed in the application to the time it was in my mailbox. I did not pay for expedited. I did have the passport card so that was all I needed to do it by mail. But if you have 6 weeks they are getting them out much faster now. Probably because of Trump! Big Grin LOL

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Updated to say I got the replacement in 3 weeks and only paid a small additional fee for expedited processing. My son is good to go for his trip and I wanted to say thank you for the replies! SIGForum rocks!