SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Rafale Ride Leads To Inadvertent Ejection By Overstressed Passenger"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Rafale Ride Leads To Inadvertent Ejection By Overstressed Passenger" Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I wonder what the passenger’s heartbeat was when he unexpectedly and involuntarily got disembarked from the aircraft?

0 as in zero for a few seconds.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
When I had my backseat ride in a 15 and I launched other incentive rides, the selector switch was always in NORM so even if the dummy in the backseat bailed, the pilot would stay. I think solo was when there was no butt in back seat and aft initiate was when an instructor was in the back seat.
We were doing the Aussie Airshow circuit with Super Hornets for Boeing back in 2003-4 and were flying reporters - we would actually leave the rear seat safe and pinned (learned from Boeing that unless it was in SOLO, the rear seat would still eject in that case).

Point being the pilot could punch both out but the untrained idiot in back was harmless.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Does he get the tie?
Yes Wink

I was in my squadron spaces when the Martin-Baker guy showed up to give 2 guys the stuff. Tie, pin, patches, etc.

It was actually the RIOs second ride and on the next deployment he almost got his 3rd! Eek

It's one of those things that nobody wants to get, but I guess if you live to tell the tale, you appreciate it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I had my backseat ride in a 15 and I launched other incentive rides, the selector switch was always in NORM so even if the dummy in the backseat bailed, the pilot would stay. I think solo was when there was no butt in back seat and aft initiate was when an instructor was in the back seat.

I went cross country from Eglin to Luke back in '78 in the F-4E I crewed and during the brief, Capt. Brown stated: "When you are seated and secured, we will prestart brief and I will instruct you to set the Comand Selector Valve on the top left bow to the verticle, single ejection mode, in the event of a situation requiring in-flight aircraft egress, I will call out "EJECT, EJECT, EJECT" and you will initiate ejection by pulling the face curtain handles out and down as you were shown. Do you have any questions?

I said, "No, Sir, but after the first "EJECT" you will be talking to yourself.

He laughed and said, "Shit Hot!".

We had a good time.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, it happens from time to time. Unfortunately it's just probability and statistics.

You fly enough minimally trained dumbasses in a plane with an ejection seat, sooner or later some of them eject themselves.

https://theaviationgeekclub.co...-erroneously-bailed/

A drop top! ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least he was only doing 200 when he rolled down the window.

I'll admit to having failed to secure a helmet strap before. More than once. But not three times.

My guess is that the contractor won't get a chance to forget it again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Nothing like getting bitch-slapped by uncle physics to remind you to secure yourself.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
^^^

I picture the ejected as a cross between that, and Beaker from the Muppets Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been in freefall quite a few times without eye protection.

It can cause a real case of dry-eye.

At a high speed, anything that can catch wind, get plastic. Very plastic. Tends to be sore, later.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps due to the stress, the passenger failed to properly buckle in.

Was this not checked by the pilot or somebody in the ground crew? You can't expect an untrained person to know all these intricacies. There was plenty of other fail to go around.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I've never jumped myself (thought about it), but I've known a lot of skydivers and have been around jump operations for years, and I've never met a jumper that didn't use goggles or some sort of eyepro. I'm curious, why do you jump without eyepro?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

I've never jumped myself (thought about it), but I've known a lot of skydivers and have been around jump operations for years, and I've never met a jumper that didn't use goggles or some sort of eyepro. I'm curious, why do you jump without eyepro?

I started jumping a long time ago, in high school. It was a time when jumpers still used motorcycle helmets. In fact, my first helmet was an open-face motorcycle helmet, spray painted. Often, I had no goggles.

It's a different deal today; most jumpers use full face helmets with face shields. When I started, the frap hats were coming in, and jumpers wore just about anything for eye protection. Kroop goggles became popular, but often when I'd get a jump, it was just because a slot was open on a load and I'd grab a rig off the wall and go jump. I got my jumps as payment for packing rigs, and for flying jumpers

I was young enough that I didn't think much about it at the time. I might do five jumps up to 18,000 and wouldn't feel it until the next day. Get out with ice crystals in the air, in the mountains, and freefall for 60 seconds, and the eyes would really dry out, and burn the next day. Especially with the ice crystals in the air. But that's youth. I did a lot without a second thought back then.

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
When I was a flight instructor flying the TA-4 Skyhawk the ejection seat selector was in the front cockpit.

For student pilots brand new to the squadron (even though they’d been in flight training for about a year they were new to what was then considered to be an “advanced” jet) I always set the selector to where if they pulled the handle my seat wouldn’t fire. Of course if I pulled mine we would both go.

Thankfully in the fleet my aircraft was a single seater. No worries about inadvertent ejection (being a Harrier there was plenty more to keep me worried Big Grin )

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

I started jumping a long time ago, in high school. It was a time when jumpers still used motorcycle helmets. In fact, my first helmet was an open-face motorcycle helmet, spray painted. Often, I had no goggles.

It's a different deal today; most jumpers use full face helmets with face shields. When I started, the frap hats were coming in, and jumpers wore just about anything for eye protection. Kroop goggles became popular, but often when I'd get a jump, it was just because a slot was open on a load and I'd grab a rig off the wall and go jump. I got my jumps as payment for packing rigs, and for flying jumpers

I was young enough that I didn't think much about it at the time. I might do five jumps up to 18,000 and wouldn't feel it until the next day. Get out with ice crystals in the air, in the mountains, and freefall for 60 seconds, and the eyes would really dry out, and burn the next day. Especially with the ice crystals in the air. But that's youth. I did a lot without a second thought back then.

Ahhh, ok...old school jumper, got it and it makes perfect sense. Most of my surrounding involvement around airshow skydiving and local jump operations was in the '80s and '90s and obviously jump tech and procedures had progressed from the early days when you first started jumping.

As a little kid, maybe 5 or 6 years old, my Dad would load me up and ride me around on the back of his motorcycle. He couldn't find a true motorcycle helmet for a kid my age so he bought a kids football helmet for me that I proudly wore on our rides.

Those were different times, often with a different mindset and fewer/ no options on gear...so we learned to make do with what we had and have fun while doing it.

Thanks for the explanation!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
High praise to the pilot for safely recovering the A/C. The system failed where as the passenger wasnt properly familiarized & qualified on the seat & g force / flight expectations. The ground support team never made all the required preflight checks of this passenger? His G-suit & was properly secured to the chair? Too many things to hi-light but this had failure from the get go..

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

I went cross country from Eglin to Luke back in '78 in the F-4E I crewed and during the brief, Capt. Brown stated: "When you are seated and secured, we will prestart brief and I will instruct you to set the Comand Selector Valve on the top left bow to the verticle, single ejection mode, in the event of a situation requiring in-flight aircraft egress, I will call out "EJECT, EJECT, EJECT" and you will initiate ejection by pulling the face curtain handles out and down as you were shown. Do you have any questions?

I said, "No, Sir, but after the first "EJECT" you will be talking to yourself.

He laughed and said, "Shit Hot!".

We had a good time.

On a peripheral note, I passed by our ER one day and saw one of my buddies examining an F4 pilot with some facial trauma and a tremendous bruise on his chest. The rest of the story was that they had a bird strike from huge hawk, carrying a rabbit (low level). Penetrated the canopy, hit the pilot in the face and chest and knocked him cold (fortunately no severe injury). The WSO brought it down from the back seat. Turned out I knew the wizzo, and he said it was exciting. I paraphrase. And punching crossed his mind. Also said it was a good damn thing it wasn't a Navy jet.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That poor guy must have thought he was a goner for sure. I can't imagine how absolutely terrifying that must have been.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
The system failed where as the passenger wasnt properly familiarized & qualified on the seat & g force / flight expectations. The ground support team never made all the required preflight checks of this passenger? His G-suit & was properly secured to the chair? Too many things to hi-light but this had failure from the get go..

Yeah, flight gear / strapping in is nothing to fool around with - even while in the Navy as a student, it can be quite overwhelming the first couple of times.

Then when you realize it could be the only thing to save your life if shit goes sideways, you double and triple check everything is hooked up correctly. And then you check again before taking off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Wow. Big Grin

A normal backseat ride in a fighter would be sweet.
Don't forget to eat your bananas!

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yep

bananas

they taste the same going both ways Big Grin

I recall my prep for my first ride at CFB Cold Lake

HAI - High Altitude Indoctrination in a chamber with about a dozen people with several tests on the way up - writing and doing a bit of basic math so you can see what your personal symptoms are, followed by the rapid decompression and going to get the mask in place after the disorientation is over

also, had an ejection seat simulator where you learned the seat, and the strap in procedures as well as the proper way to leave the airplane

surprised this contractor never had any of that orientation

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good breakdown of the report
That pax was so nervous, didn't even turn-on his Go Pro. Hard to believe he was not strapped in correctly.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post