SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LED bulbs going dim from use, those used in the home.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED bulbs going dim from use, those used in the home. Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I was just noticing that it sure seemed to be dim in the family room. Main lamp I use is a floor standing lamp with a 100 watt equivalent (15 watts actual) LED bulb. So I went and got a new one to put in and wow what a difference being brighter. This bulb at most has been in use for 2 years being used daily for probably a minimum of 4 hours up to maximum of maybe 10 hours on the shorter days.

LED long life seems like a plus but if the bulb goes significantly dim in pretty short order that long life may not be of much good in some situations. The bulbs I use are the Meijer store brand and often they had been on sale for $2.99 a 2 pack with the ComEd instant rebate and regularly $9.99. I may have to see if I can find a better brand at a good price or just replace this brand every 18 months or so.

Anyone else notice this? Most other places in the house the bulbs are not used near as much so it is not really a problem. The one in our master bath in the exhaust fan fixture is getting really dim too but that one has been in use for probably 5 years and does not get near as much use. That one needs to be able to work in an enclosed fixture so I will need to search for appropriate replacement.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
LEDs are not living up to their claims.

Tips:

*Look for lamps that don't say "Not for use in totally enclosed fixtures".

*You want 90+ CRI

*Don't buy Amazon ones, Utilitech, or FIET.

Personally I don't use them (much), I prefer incandescents. I like warm color and dim everything. My bulbs last forever, replacing lamps now in recess after 8 years. Amazing what happens when you are a Master Electrician and wire your own house.

FYI poor electrical connections found in older houses; voltages over 125v; and living in areas prone to power loss or surges are murder on the electronics inside of LEDs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I have an LED that's been on continuously since 1997. That's 22 years without even a 1 second break!!!! there's an identical LED next to it which is on for maybe 10 minutes per year. The difference in brightness is striking. The always-on LED is getting pretty dim.

(BTW, These are both in my alarm panel)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ACE has a 10 pack of FEIT 60 watt equivalent for $9.99, either warm white or daylight color. For $1 a piece, I'll take them over incandescents any day.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
My electrical company had a trade in, incandescents for LED's.

I received a box of led's and put them in service, the only ones which burned out are on the fan 14' in the air.

Two years and the only ones to burn out are the least accessible.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
ACE has a 10 pack of FEIT 60 watt equivalent for $9.99, either warm white or daylight color. For $1 a piece, I'll take them over incandescents any day.

Local Menards always has LED 60 watt bulbs for $1 each with ComEd instant rebate. I like LED bulbs also for the savings on the electric bill and they do last a lot longer even before they lose noticeable brightness. I am going to have to try a different brand of 100 watt next time if I find one reasonably priced.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:

I received a box of led's and put them in service, the only ones which burned out are on the fan 14' in the air.

Figures LOL. I was at a church a couple weeks ago and oh boy did they have lights up high there and I was wondering what fun/how expensive it must be to change those.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:

Figures LOL. I was at a church a couple weeks ago and oh boy did they have lights up high there and I was wondering what fun/how expensive it must be to change those.
I think my church has its own scissor jack.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post