SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand Canyon Tourists Exposed TO Radiation For Nearly Two Decades
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Canyon Tourists Exposed TO Radiation For Nearly Two Decades Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Every time I hear the word "Whistleblower" in this context, I have a stabbing pain behind my eyes.

"Whistleblower" is a closely-guarded, highly nuanced .gov employee code word. In the Common Speech, it translates roughly to "I am about to be run out on a rail for a long chain of poor work, absenteeism, and incompetence, so I will file a host of complaints to make it seem as if my firing is retaliatory."

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am from the government and here to help you?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Oh, damn!

Time to panic!

As I understand it, that "radiation" is from uranium ore, not processed stuff. As noted, that stuff is common all over that area.

Anyone else remember those "glow in the dark" watch dials several years ago? Yes, they were radioactive.

You forgot Lensatic compasses, man. Compasses. They're mass. Killing. Machines. Probably had one of those irradiating, testicle-frying miniature nuclear reactors right on your web gear all those years, and didn't even know it.

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

"13.9 mR/hr" where the buckets were stored.
Just 5 feet from the buckets, there was a zero reading.

The sudden dissipation of the radiation seems rather strange. The buckets - unless made of lead, would offer little moderation or shielding value. Explanations anyone?

The article stated that the employees returned the buckets to the same location after emptying them, and that there was some detectable rediation there that fell off to zero a few feet away

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 413 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Cue up that new lawyer commercial on primetime tv.

"did you visit the Grand Canyon? You may be entitled to compensation due to radiation exposure." Call GoldFinger 800 600 6014

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Great, now everyone who visited the Canyon, at some time in their life, will feel entitled—cancer or not, to a lottery check.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Oh, damn!

Time to panic!

As I understand it, that "radiation" is from uranium ore, not processed stuff. As noted, that stuff is common all over that area.

Anyone else remember those "glow in the dark" watch dials several years ago? Yes, they were radioactive.

You forgot Lensatic compasses, man. Compasses. They're mass. Killing. Machines. Probably had one of those irradiating, testicle-frying miniature nuclear reactors right on your web gear all those years, and didn't even know it.
How about the tritium in your gun's night sights?

Most here won't remember it, but watch dials used to actually have radium on them, and that was found to be a more serious problem.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hillary most likely shorted the rookies on their uranium purchase! She strikes me as the kinda person that would put their thumb on the meat scale.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Park service employees were suspecting something when an ant colony was found behind the building...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJG:
quote:
quote:

The sudden dissipation of the radiation seems rather strange. The buckets - unless made of lead, would offer little moderation or shielding value. Explanations anyone?

The article stated that the employees returned the buckets to the same location after emptying them, and that there was some detectable rediation there that fell off to zero a few feet away

Distance.

Distance is just as important or maybe more important as shielding when it comes to radiation.

I went to Y12 in 2017 for some training related to my job and the exercises they had us do with some low level radioactive sources with various shielding materials and and distances was pretty eye opening.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Most here won't remember it, but watch dials used to actually have radium on them, and that was found to be a more serious problem.

Many still do. And alarm clocks and numerous other household items.

My wife collected antique green glass for some time, which we still have in display cases; it's radioactive and contains uranium, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
I doubt if anyone would have been near it long enough other than the people that work there every day..

That was my thought. I would guess only people there day in and day out have anything to worry about.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for all the TV commercials to start...

<Ominous music playing>
Have you or a loved one visited the Grand Canyon since the year 2000?

You may be entitled to CASH COMPENSATION!

Contact us immediately!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Oh, damn!

Time to panic!

Shit! Just discovered that I still have one in my gun cabinet. (survival gear).

I guess now I have to burn the house down. Altho that might spread the radiation all the way to DC.

Kidding!

I was trained by the army in CBR stuff. Nothing at all in this hysteria over this "discovery" surprises me.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
However, the buckets were simply moved somewhere else in the building until Stephenson managed to get technicians to dump the buckets out in June.

I’m curious as to where the buckets were “dumped out”. Knowing the agency like I do, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they were simply dumped out behind the building. The NPS mostly cares about its employees safety when they get caught doing something unsafe.

The park was a uranium mining site. The Lost Orphan mine head is still visible out by Hermit's Rest. I'd think the whole place might be glowing.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There is a bit more to the story.
The report indicated 800 mR/hr" on contact with the ore.

Distance is your friend as radiation drops off with the inverse square law.

Not enough data in the article to calculate exactly but let’s just throw some numbers out there.

Assumption, “where the buckets were stored = 2 feet from source (uranium ore).

So if a worker spend their full year of working hours (2080 hours) at 5’ 2” of the uranium ore they would receive a dosage of 5.01 REM exceeding the yearly limit for a radiation worker.

U.S. Radiation worker limit = 5 REM annually

Of course limit for general public is lower.
Rad Pro Calculator

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimber1911,

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There is a bit more to the story.
The report indicated 800 mR/hr" on contact with the ore.

I've read this story on a few sites, and came away under the impression that the readings were made after the buckets were dumped. So, to those smarter than me - would ore inside a plastic 5 gallon bucket put out more, or the same radiation as the bucket once emptied? Another words, does a bucket full of uranium ore put out a different level of radiation than the bucket that held it for years, once emptied?

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The readings were taken with the uranium ore still in the buckets.

Here is a video where it is stated that a 2 mR/hr reading is taken at about an inch from the uranium ore taken from the Orpan Mine.

Removing the rocks from the buckets removes the radiation source.
The buckets do not become radiated.

The whole story is hyperbole from and employee who had issues at work.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post