SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Generator Question: Neutral Floating or Bonded?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generator Question: Neutral Floating or Bonded? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
So I just got a generator for our house with the ultimate idea that now our power will never go off but am in the process of at least being able to use it.

It has a 30 amp 240/120 outlet which is a L14 plug (four separate lines). which I assume are the two hots for the 240, a neutral for the 120 and then a ground... I have the proper extension cord for this and have installed a corresponding plug at our outside disconnect box ... where I can first disconnect from the grid and then flip another 30 amp breaker to connect the plug to the house... and this plug is wired correctly.

The deal is I'm trying to determine these terms in the instruction manual of having the Neutral wire either 'floating' or 'bonded' to the frame of the generator... It seems the comes with the neutral bonded to the frame and in some cases they recommend you disconnect this .... there is also a place to connect an external ground wire to the frame of the generator....

Can someone tell me whether I should leave it as it is and just plug it in or if I need to disconnect the neutral from the frame and possible run an Independent ground to the frame?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Your house has the neutral bonded to the ground. This is only allowed in one place. When you hook up your generator as it is in its current condition, you will have the ground and neutral bonded in two places, which is against code and I guess unsafe.

Yes disconnect your bond on your generator. Convert your generator to a floating neutral. It will be in the manual or you can call the company and ask how to do it. It will be at the powerhead or some generators connect the white and green wire behind an outlet.

Don’t attach an additional ground wire to the generator. I saw a demonstration once where that was done and it created an unsafe condition. Don’t know the why or the science behind it.

Your generator is grounded through your 4 prong cord when you plug the cord in.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Open the neutral bond for when used on house.
And dont ground the frame of the generator.

However, if you are using generator in a stand alone fashion this isn't necesarily safe.
Make a bonding plug, for when you want to use it standalone.

You can buy one for $11

https://a.co/d/2jtrina

Or you can make your own easily.

Plugging this in restores the neutral bond, and then you can attach the generator frame to earth ground.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Separately derived system = bonded frame.
Non-separately derived = no bond.

It really depends on your transfer switch. If it doesn’t interrupt the neutral, then your system is non-separately derived and requires the bond be removed and a ground rod to earth. If your transfer switch interrupts the neutral, then it is separately derived and the frame bond is necessary.

In reality, I’d bet 99% of people are using their portable generators with a non-separately derived switch and the frame bond intact. It just means that some current will flow on the ground between your main panel and generator, as well as on the generator frame.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys (or gal if pertinent)... that helps a lot and 'splainss it much better than the manual.

They have an on line video showing how to disconnect the bond and so it is no big deal. And also thanks for answering about whether to ground the frame...

I understand the reasoning of not wanting to run current through the ground wire but the reality is it should not matter but I will do it right.

I have to admit, and I know you experts will cringe at this, but I've pulled 120 volts off an outside 240 unit by hooking up to one of the hot lines and the ground wire.... then again I've had a licensed electrician show me how to get power by running a sheet rock screw into a hot line and another into the neutral or ground... and then tapping to this to get some power to run a tool.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post