SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Missing Toddler in Eastern NC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing Toddler in Eastern NC Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
This doesn't sound good. I have no inside info, but my gut suspects foul play on the mother's side:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/lo...ing&utm_content=news

quote:
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (AP) - The FBI has joined the search for a missing 3-year-old North Carolina girl reported abducted from her home as authorities step up efforts to find her.
Onslow County Sheriff Hans Miller told news outlets that investigators need a break in their search for Mariah Kay Woods, who was reported missing from her home about 6 a.m. Monday. The girl's home is in the southeastern part of the state, just west of Jacksonville and Marine Corps Air Station New River.

A statewide Amber Alert has been issued for the girl.

Miller announced that on Friday morning they are conducting a volunteer and citizen search.

Those volunteering to search need to meet between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. at the Dawson Community Church on Dawson Cabin Road in Jacksonville.

Mariah Woods' mother, Kristy Woods, told WITN-TV in Greenville that she last saw Mariah about 11 p.m. Sunday when she checked on her. She said her boyfriend saw the child about midnight when she got up and he told her to go back to bed. Once they realized she was missing, the couple said they called authorities.

She made a plea for the girl's safe return Monday night.

"This is my world, this is my angel," Woods said. "She was sent to me for a reason. This is my everything besides my boys, the love that I have for this girl."

The investigation has the support of more than 14 agencies, Sheriff Miller said. Officials have conducted 100 interviews, followed more than 140 leads and had the assistance of more than 225 investigators working around the clock.

As part of the investigation, the agency released three photographs of an unknown woman and a young girl in a Walmart in Morehead City, about 40 miles east of the girl's home.

The FBI requested the public's help in identifying the woman and child in the photos.

Investigators wanted the public's help identifying both of them, and it appeared Channel 9's sister station WCTI has helped do just that.

WCTI spoke exclusively with Jetta Long Wednesday morning. She is a 23-year-old Newport woman who said the surveillance photos show her and her young daughter.

Long told WCTI she does not know the family of the missing girl and that she is frustrated that the photos "may have gotten the hopes of the family up."

Long's daughter was born with a shortened leg, so she understands how she could have been mistaken for Mariah.

Later Wednesday morning, the FBI confirmed that the child in the surveillance images was not Mariah.

On Wednesday morning, WCTI reported that the grassy area across from the Woodses' home had been taped off with crime tape and that authorities were looking under the house.

A massive search for the girl continues but Mariah's biological father, Alex Woods, doubts her mother's story.

"Someone just walked right up in there, grabbed the 3-year-old out of the bed and she didn't cry, she didn't scream?" Woods told WCTI-TV in New Bern Tuesday. "Nobody heard anything? Four people in the house, two adults and two kids someone just comes up and snatches the baby and walks out?"

Alex Woods, who's been fighting for custody of Mariah, doesn't think the girl was abducted.

"Somebody just walked right up in there, grabbed the 3-year-old out of the bed and she didn't cry? She didn't scream? Nobody heard nothing?” he said.

First responders spent Monday searching by air and on the ground.

“[Officials are] working everything that can be worked to find this little girl,” Sheriff Hans Miller said.

Four volunteer fire departments, the Onslow County Sheriff’s Department and K-9 units searched in the wooded area behind the girl’s home as well as surrounding wooded areas, WCTI reported. They also used a helicopter and drones to aid in the search.

“We don’t know what happened. It’s entirely premature to try to determine what happened,” Miller said.

Officials have interviewed both Woods’ mother and her live-in boyfriend and conducted a search of their home and vehicle, WCTI reported.

"I don't believe she would go out by herself, especially in the dark," said the girl’s grandmother, Anne Edwards. “She's a sweet child but she's shy with strangers. So she wouldn't just go with a stranger."

Edwards said the 3-year-old struggles to get around on her own and wears leg braces for assistance.

"It's really tough because it's just like everybody says, 'I didn't believe this could happen to me,'" she said.

Investigators have asked people in the area to check their yards and sheds.

Mariah is described as white, 2 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 30 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Deputies and FBI agents have not revealed any other details about their investigation.

Anyone with information on Mariah's whereabouts is encouraged to call the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office immediately at 910-455-3113, or to call 911.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom and boyfriend-dude are in on it I fear.

Seems fishy.

Very sad.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Yup my thoughts exactly, last to see the child was Mom’s boyfriend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Someone just walked right up in there, grabbed the 3-year-old out of the bed and she didn't cry, she didn't scream?" Woods told WCTI-TV in New Bern Tuesday. "Nobody heard anything? Four people in the house, two adults and two kids someone just comes up and snatches the baby and walks out?"

Alex Woods, who's been fighting for custody of Mariah, doesn't think the girl was abducted.

"Somebody just walked right up in there, grabbed the 3-year-old out of the bed and she didn't cry? She didn't scream? Nobody heard nothing?” he said.

Yep, better than even money on the boyfriend and possible the mother...

BS and a very sad story with probably an even worse ending to come...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More bad news.

http://www.wral.com/mariah-bel...d-arrested/17156154/

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
And a long time invested in being the police, I am going to guess that the boyfriend has a meth history, and probably has convictions for dealing.

I also would not be shocked if he's not currently on some sort of supervised parole/probation/halfway house/etc.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37197 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost always, there is involvement from inside the home on cases like this.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Poor girl. My heart breaks for her.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Fox reported FBI Arrested the boyfriend early this a.m.
Little girl feared Dead...

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
This happened about 15 miles away from me. As soon as I read their account I had a bad feeling. They had the police and some Marines from base out searching but I'm afraid it will not end up good.

I pray they find that poor thing safe and sound.

ETA if the boyfriend is involved well, lets just say hell is too good of a place for him....

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Body was found today.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Frown
So very sad

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
God dammit!!! I really have nothing to add. GOD DAMMIT!!!

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy....really burns me up to think about it.

Poor dad...hed been trying to get custody according to the article and knew "abduction" was a BS story from the start.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
There's a special place in hell for someone that hurts children.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I keep bouncing back and forth between rage and a terrible sadness for the little girl.

Assuming that "boy friend" did it, hell is too good a place for him.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Wait til he gets to prison and they find out he killed a little girl.

Posts: 6048 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in NC and have been following this story. Very sad to say the least.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
So very tired of hearing about sick, horrible things done to children. A toddler was killed here in the DFW area recently too. Frown

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Disgusting. Like chongo, I also suspect the mother.

FYI - The guy arrested is not charged with being the killer - he's charged with concealing a death, obstruction of justice and burglary, among others.

Charlotte Area Channel 9 News

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post