SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about grandfathers medals from WWII
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about grandfathers medals from WWII Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
I’m putting together a shadow box of my grandfathers medals earned including Bronze Star, CIB, Jump Wings, Division patch and unit badges, from WWII, etc. It’s been a long time since I served so I can’t remember if there is anything different about the Conbat Infantry Badge. Can anyone guide me to make sure I get the right one? I have his DD214 and the order for the CIB. Some hard ones to find are going to be the specialty tabs for his Expert Qualifications like M1, SMG, etc.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
When worn or displayed, the Combat Infantry Badge is worn above all awards and decorations. Below the C.I.B are the qualification badges, i..e, Airborne wings. Below that are the decorations, and below them would be the marksmanship awards.

Like this:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Make sure if you have to buy jump wings and other badges that you get the period correct ones.

The WWII era ones will look like this:

NOT this:

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Bronze Star ribbon, Johnny 3eagles...

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5074 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Yes

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Yes

Thank you Sir

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Of what was passed down, I received his original jump wings as pictured above (I didn’t notice right away that they are Sterling Silver), a qualification tab, and one dog tag. When I sent in for more paperwork and medals we were surprised to get his Bronze Star, along with several others. Also got his jump school certificate and what I guess was his exit DD214. On it, the Bronze Star was not listed. He never mentioned it to his children nor us grandchildren so it came as a surprise when the Army sent a bunch of medals. His new Dd214 has them listed. He was in an armored infantry unit that crossed the river at Remagen and went at the Nazis in the finals battles. I don’t think I’ll be able to get everything period correct but passing along to family a shadow box with what I can collect as well as paperwork will be treasured and hopefully not forgotten. The ribbons will probably be a chore to figure out order as well.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Here is a link for you to help: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik..._States_Armed_Forces

This one may be of more help: http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/display/usa.htm

BIDEN SUCKS.

posted Hide Post
This site has tools to help with the order of things

https://www.ezrackbuilder.com/...NEAAYASAAEgL9gvD_BwE

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
My Uncle has 3 CIB's, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam. That is the medal he is most proud of. Only 325 have ever been earned. His name is on the wall in the Infantry Hall of Fame

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uppster:
My Uncle has 3 CIB's, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam.

Eek Eek

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated for the direction guys.

posted Hide Post
I sent you an email yesterday reference some of the items you are looking for. I'd be happy to donate a few of the items.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post