SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I got a new pre-seasoned cast iron frying pan…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I got a new pre-seasoned cast iron frying pan… Login/Join 
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted
Now what? So far my efforts to cook eggs have ended in disasters. Was I supposed to re-season?

What would you recommend?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Seems like the only option.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I got a Lodge 2-burner griddle, great for pancakes.
Took cooking on it a few times & had to use some Pam the first couple to get it cooking without sticking badly.

Still miles better than the cheap Imusa griddle I was using before.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Bacon. Cook lots of bacon with it.

What kind of cast iron pan did you get? I picked up the Fenix last year and it took a couple time cooking bacon and with butter to really get it to be non stick.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5761 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Bacon...Lot's of Bacon! Seriously, I'm serious! Lots of Bacon! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8928 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's good for maybe 2-3 BLTs ...
Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I tend to think the seasoning they put on cast iron pans is only good for keeping them from rusting until you can put your own on. I would, and I have stripped that stuff off and started fresh with my own and done a few layers before I cook anything on it. Starting with bacon will give you a great foundation. Going straight to the eggs was a gamble. Big Grin

Posts: 17187 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bacon. Cook lots of bacon with it.

I do save my bacon grease.
I always apply a light coat of bacon grease and then wipe with a paper towel before putting away.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24154 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of luck cooking eggs on my cast iron stuff. It might be better now that I've used them a lot over the past 3 or 4 years, but I gave up on eggs.

I don't cook 2 things in my cast iron, eggs and tomato products.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
If you bought a Lodge they have some weird "pre-seasoning" coating that they put in which is texturized almost like truck bed liner. I always take a palm sander to mine with 60 grit and sand it off. Then I re-season it myself. Watch this video:

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Bacon...Lot's of Bacon! Seriously, I'm serious! Lots of Bacon! Razz

This, 100% and even more bacon on the days of the week which end in "y." Wink

Cook a pound. When pan cools just enough, scrape out grease with a plastic putty knife. Could another pound of bacon.

Rinse and repeat as required.

When finished, wipe out pan a some paper towels.

Repeat next week, or after cooked bacon is gone (which ever is sooner).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I tend to think the seasoning they put on cast iron pans is only good for keeping them from rusting until you can put your own on. I would, and I have stripped that stuff off and started fresh with my own and done a few layers before I cook anything on it. Starting with bacon will give you a great foundation. Going straight to the eggs was a gamble. Big Grin

True for pans like Lodge but for Stargazer and other high end cast iron pans, their seasoning is top notch quality.

But even with the best pre-seasoned pans you need to use a little bacon grease, oil, or butter when frying eggs. To not do so invariably leads to results like OP complained about.

Eventually you can build up a great non-stick surface but initial seasoning, even the best factory jobs, does not make truly non-stick from the get go.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Yes, Just like a new gun sitting in a gun shop to keep it from rusting for shelf life at the store.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a pan that’s over a hundred years old and it’s smooth as a baby’s bottom inside. Years ago they used to smooth the interior of pans, now they don’t. I have a lodge I got a decade ago and I had to sand the inside as it came rough from the factory.

I seasoned it several times before I began using it.

Also, you have to use some kind of fat or oil when cooking many things, especially eggs. Remember these things are not “non stick” pans, your use of lard, grease or oil is what keeps food from sticking.

I wouldn’t try to fry an egg in my old cast iron w/o some butter or bacon grease.

After use, I scrape it with a plastic scraper and rinse it under hot water. If something does get stuck I scrape it or use rock salt and a potato cut in half to basically sand out the crud.

Always dry and wipe it down with oil before storing

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11298 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I have a pan that’s over a hundred years old and it’s smooth as a baby’s bottom inside. Years ago they used to smooth the interior of pans, now they don’t.

Not true. Higher end cast iron such as Stargazer do in fact machine smooth the interior.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I personally think store bought bacon is awful for seasoning a pan. Most of it has so much sugar it just makes the pan gummy.

Your seasoning issue is probably actually a heat control issue. Get the heat and oil right, and a bare pan is non stick. Mess it up and it doesn't matter how well seasoned it is, you'll make a mess. See this guy's videos for example. http://www.tothewoods.net/Cast...s-Fried-Egg-Test.php

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got Mrs Sig Marine a new cast iron Smithey for Christmas last year that she only cooks eggs in. The pan came pre-seasoned but the first couple of times she cooked eggs in it, results were less than stellar. She quickly learned what others have said, bacon grease, oil or butter is your best friend. She can now cook eggs any way she likes without any sticking issues whatsoever.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Don’t leave it on the burner by itself after washing it to dry it, don’t ask me how I know. Frown

Posts: 10988 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did you put any fat in the pan at all when you cooked your eggs?

Posts: 107680 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post