SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    [SOLVED] Loading heavy things into a pickup truck.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

[SOLVED] Loading heavy things into a pickup truck. Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I'll second Tommylift/gate

I'll third it. I worked for a company that had a pickup with one of these many years ago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
That's pretty sweet! However, it would have to work with the tailgate closed.
Most tailgates can be removed and reinstalled rather easily. My Frontier's tailgate requries no tools and takes under a minute (i.e. the reason they have to put a lock on tailgates). Open 45 degrees, lift right tab, slide off right cable, lift left tab, slide off left cable, and lift tailgate at 45 degree angle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23307 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Can they be stored on a stand at the proper height? Just back under/into it.

that was my thought, concrete blocks stacked up to store it, you just back up and connect or disconnect.

Put a set of air adjustable shocks on the back of the truck so you can adjust height, which will help with heavy loads extended off the hitch anyway,

With air adjusted shocks your money goes to improving ride and safety of the vehicle, vs $1500 for a lift, which is a pretty cool lift though.

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks friends! Smile

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Most tailgates can be removed and reinstalled rather easily. My Frontier's tailgate requries no tools and takes under a minute (i.e. the reason they have to put a lock on tailgates). Open 45 degrees, lift right tab, slide off right cable, lift left tab, slide off left cable, and lift tailgate at 45 degree angle.
You underestimate my clumsiness.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

And that's why we put the 'poor man's' tailgate lock on all of our truck inventory when I worked at a nearby Chevrolet dealer in college.
2008 or so, they had about 10 tailgates stolen overnight, to the tune of around $1k per for replacements (they were all locking tailgates with backup cameras).

Simple hose clamp around the slotted side makes enough of a deterrent for most simple thieves. And, you don't have to worry about losing the key for it, like the one on my former F150, that the dealer didn't even have the key for when I bought it (already installed on the truck & it was a trade from another dealer).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark - I feel for you! Don't put yourself down for it! You can learn!

My wife has a Jeep Wrangler with a hard top. She also has a soft top for warmer weather. April is when the transition takes place. I can remove the hard top with a "Hoist A Cart", but the soft top installation is way beyond my abilities.....

I pay to have that done.

I look at all angles and ideas before I accept defeat.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
I am not sure what your budget is but I have used something similar to this for heavy loads.

Manual Fork

Egads! Grainger is impossible to deal with. I’m trying to place an order but they can’t get the sales tax correct. Now I have to contact their sales tax team, the existence of which tells me they have this problem a lot.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:

Mark - I feel for you! Don't put yourself down for it! You can learn!

My wife has a Jeep Wrangler with a hard top. She also has a soft top for warmer weather. April is when the transition takes place. I can remove the hard top with a "Hoist A Cart", but the soft top installation is way beyond my abilities.....

I pay to have that done.

I look at all angles and ideas before I accept defeat.

It’s just that it’s still a nice truck and still under warranty (not that the warranty matters because the local shop won’t cover it). I know I’ll screw up the nice, shiny, new-looking tailgate the first time by dropping it on the nearest thing that will do it the most damage.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. My quote was for $1603.15. What’s the best zoro can do?