SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    binocular recommendation?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

binocular recommendation? Login/Join 
posted
Would like to get a pair of high power binoculars.

10 power or more. Don't need to be compact. Don't want to spend a fortune. But not walmart either.

?

Posts: 1690 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you consider a fortune? If had the cash, it would be Zeiss or Swarovski. For a mid range (in cost) look at Nikon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16375 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Spend some time at both of these sites:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

https://www.24hourcampfire.com.../16/1/hunting-optics

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex.

End of advice.

I do own a bunch of binocs. Zeiss, Nikon Monarch 7s (stored behind the truck seat), Bear Gryllis (for the boat) Bushnell (under the car seat) and Swarovski (the 15 x 56, left in the closet generally as they weigh a lot).

Vortex.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Link to a very reliable source of information: Cornell Labs

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/...oculars-for-birding/

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Vortex Viper HD 10X42 are a good choice for all around use. The Vortex lifetime warranty is great.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1357 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why high powered?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sightronusa.com/index.php/binoculars/

Sightron SIII. Lifetime warranty great glass. I have had a pair of 8X42 for over 10 years without a problem. I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 Rifle scope and it also has been fantastic. Their SIII and SII Big Sky products are built in Japan with very fine glass. The company is in North Carolina.I think Vortex and Nightforce may also be built in Japan but I can not swear by it.

I know some F Class competition shooters that use their SIII rifle scopes and sing their praises.

https://www.amazon.com/Sightro...J07E2AAPCFM2S65VPEJ8

Posts: 13059 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I love the Steiner Police model. Once you adjust to your eyesight it's set, no more focus. I took a set on our cruise to the Bahamas early this month and used them when we had a man overboard around Freeport Bahamas. They are crisp, clear, and perfect binos. I hink I paid $200 or $299, can't remember.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Nikon 8x42 Monarch 7 Binoculars and these are excellent quality and are around $500.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8738 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Vortex Viper HD 10X42 are a good choice for all around use. The Vortex lifetime warranty is great.

Bought a pair last year. Great quality glass, nice and crisp. I don't think any other brand can beat them at that price point.

Michael

Posts: 1136 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What do you consider a fortune? If had the cash, it would be Zeiss or Swarovski. For a mid range (in cost) look at Nikon.

+1

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
If this is a car or truck bino, I have several Leupold I like that have served me well. Not crazy expensive and made in the USA.
The Rogue 10x50 work great for truck or car.
For carry I like Leupold Mojave 10x50.

Nikon is also great, esp Monarch line.
Also Vortex and Steiner are good. Steiner is super rugged for hunting and military use.

These are all a definite step up from Bushnell etc., but way less money than Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Leupld gold rings in 8x42 I would sell for $415. Very good glass.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I love the Steiner Police model. Once you adjust to your eyesight it's set, no more focus. I took a set on our cruise to the Bahamas early this month and used them when we had a man overboard around Freeport Bahamas. They are crisp, clear, and perfect binos. I hink I paid $200 or $299, can't remember.

Several of us got in on a deal for these binoculars a few years ago. The price was an error as I recall, so low you couldn't say no. I already owned 2 pair of highly regarded glasses, but these have impressed because of the total package. They are well very balanced, compact, and quite light for 10 x 50's, and as a result very stable and easy to use even on a boat. They are also very bright and sharp edge to edge. These tend to be what I grab in most circumstances.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I use Vortex.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive been happy with the recent purchase of Leupold Mojave BX3s.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I've converted ALL my Nikon to Vortex. Period......

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Brunton Eterna. Great binos in a variety of sizes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Very recently I purchase Leupold 12x50 Roof Prism binos. While they offered a good deal of magnification and were reasonably clear, they were beasts. Much too big and heavy to carry around.

I sent them back and purchased Nikon 10x50 Pro Staff 5. The Nikons are much lighter weight and size with an exceptionally clear image. They were about the same prices as the Leupolds. I've used them at the range for spotting when shooting with a 4x scope and it was easy to clearly see 100 yard targets. My only complaint is the very flimsy lens covers that come with it.

If you want to save a few bucks and don't mind the extra size the Porro Prism style instead of the more popular Roof Prism binos are still a good option.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post