SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brewing Cuban Coffee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brewing Cuban Coffee Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I was gifted 2 pounds of Cuban coffee beans. Any advice on best way to brew? I was thinking French Press but thought I’d check with the group and see if any of you have experience with Cuban beans.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Moka pot.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Perk.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What are you using now? Keep using that. Coffee makers don't care where the beans came from. Personally I use a percolator. It gets the water hotter than an automatic drip and runs it through the grounds several times.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coffee makers don't care where the beans came from.

I don’t know if that’s completely true; I’ve always read that Cuban coffee should be used primarily as an espresso.

Regarding my current setup, per the forum’s recommendation I’ve been using a MoccaMaster for years.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best espresso style. Agree with the Mokka pot for the more modern version. If you REALLY want to make it like they did back in the day, you need to steep it through a 'sock' made for coffee. I just threw mine away or I'd post a pic of it. Wood handle with a cone shaped cotton 'sock'. Place the coffee grinds in the sock and pour boiling water through it into the cup. That's the only way my mother would drink it until she got older, then she started using the mokka pot.

While in Florida recently, I found they sell Bustello in k-cups now, blasphemy Smile

Tony

Posts: 315 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Percolator for me when it's cuban coffee.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
French Press is always a better brew but usually less number of cups (at least my unit is about 3.5 cups by volume).
Also produces a hotter temp than my drip unit provides.
Of course this goes for any coffee and being Cuban has no influence of how to brew.
17:1 ratio, use good water >> you will be fine.
YMMV

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The Bialetti Brikka makes a decent shot in a pinch.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Moka pot.

Yep. Bought one yesterday, looking forward to trying it out!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Cuban coffee. It’s what’s for breakfast.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
So… How was it? Relative to your prior brewing method?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^
So… How was it? Relative to your prior brewing method?

I enjoyed it significantly more than I expected, as I figured it was going to be bitter, but brewing in the Moka Pot contraption it was incredibly smooth! I did not feel the need of adding sugar or milk. (I normally drink my coffee black)

From everything I read, I don’t think I will grind it and put it through a drip brew or French Press, but instead will treat it like espresso and brew on the stove. After I go through this coffee, I may start to look for other espresso type beans to brew on the stove with the Moka Pot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Ralphie may understood the Cuban coffee experience!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I enjoy Cuban coffee and espresso.
She usually makes the espresso for the both of us. Anyway I think she pours out a little coffee, adds sugar and whips it up. Then pours it over a cup of coffee. So good.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3868 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post